No announcement yet.

What's Wrong with the Search Function?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What's Wrong with the Search Function?

What has happened to the forum search function? Over the last few months, I've noticed that I cannot find specific threads by using the forum search, but can easily find them by searching on Google (using a few keywords and adding "SDC Forum").

For example, just a few minutes ago I searched on "frua" and got only three hits on the forum search. But, a Goggle search using "frua SDC Forum site:forum.studebakerdriversclub.com" brought back a number of pages of hits.

Why can't a forum search find more than three threads with the word 'frua'? Is it something I'm doing wrong (operator error), or is the search function just poor?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

For what little it's worth, I've never had good luck with the search function "could be Me though"
    Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

It's just poor, as previously discussed, I use Google unless I know the forum name of the author of the post I'm looking for. In that case you can go to the forum name and look at started threads but Google is generally your best bet. Bob

Comment

The search feature on this site is of little value as far as I'm concerned it makes me mad more often than answering my questions

Comment

Perhaps this is how I should have described it,instead of how I did !

Originally posted by acolds View Post
          The search feature on this site is of little value as far as I'm concerned it makes me mad more often than answering my questions
          Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Maybe the search function is worth what we pay for it............ (typed with a smile and big ole helpin of sarcasm!)
            It is an addiction!

Comment

The search function works ok for the most part but it isn't working now.

Comment

There search function has never worked for me. I have mentioned this here previously with little or no response. I thought for a while it was me but I have talked with others who have the same problems. I also have no problems with the search function on other sites.
                Joe Roberts
                '61 R1 Champ
                '65 Cruiser
                Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

If I remember correctly, Clark has responded a couple of times by agreeing that the search function that comes with this forum software is lousy, but that the other forum features are good enough to continue with the current vendor. He has recommended using Google and including a ref to the SDC forum in the search box.
                  Skip Lackie

Comment

Yes!
                    • The vBulletin search integrated into the Forum stinks. Even the developers of vBulletin themselves acknowledge this!
                    • We (the Forum admin, SDC Website admin, and SDC Board) are exploring pathways that might help improve this.

Until an improvement can be found, I suggest using Google to search the Forum effectively. A sample search string would be :
                    That search string returns 27 hits, exclusively from this Forum, in just a second! Searches can easily be refined; quotation marks around a phrase search for the exact phrase; a "+" or "-" operator before a word or phrase will include or exclude that phrase, etc. More refinements can be found on Google's Help pages.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

It's working today.

Comment

I never have many problems with the search function on this forum. I've been searching on here a lot lately looking at different things I need to focus on with my 61 lark.
                        "trying to save them from the crusher one at a time"

Comment

Working...
                        X