259 carb jetting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel System: 259 carb jetting

I've ordered a remanufactured WC carb for my 259 cu in Daytona. The car will be in normal street use but at an altitude between 3,000 and 5,000 feet. What number jets do think will be a good starting point? Thanks

It's MORE than JUST jetting...and I wish you luck.

Short story -
    My grandmother used to own a 64 Pontiac Tempest, 326 with a two barrel carburetor. I normally took care of the running part of the car. For what ever reason, we could not get together on a time frame (long story). I suggested the dealer where she bought the car. She did.

The car came back with the engine running terrible (another long story). We finally got together, and got the car to my house. I could not get the throttle tip-in stumble out of it. No matter what I tried. I got rid of "most" of it, but my grandmother was...lets say "picky".
    I had noticed that the carburetor had been replaced. I had just rebuilt it a few months back. I didn't have the time to do the "electrical" part of the tuneup at that time..! The "mechanical" part WAS complete..!

So, I went to 2 different junk yards, bought a total of (5) carburetors for that car. I mixed and matched parts for a week. I finally got the engine to run at about 95%, carburetion wise.
    My grandmother didn't notice the last 5% wasn't there.

All this is to say, the throttle body, the center section and booster venturies have holes in them that were meant for different altitudes (like Denver vs Arizona), unlike todays engines and even the last part of the carburetor days.
    So...hopefully...when the rebuilder reaches into the bucket of parts, he'll be lucky enough to put a carburetor together that works properly for you.

ALWAYS...if you cannot do this work yourself, make "sure..." that YOUR carburetor is the one that is rebuilt. Not a mixture of others.

Mike

P.s. - This is not the only time I've seen this happen.

Comment

Working...
    X