fuel filler flap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: fuel filler flap

I am restoring a 1963 GT hawk and one problem I have is how to attach the springs to the fuel filler flap so that it stays firm in place any advice would be helpful thanks

I just got the two springs on my 47 Champion a few weeks back. I know I tried them a year ago when I first got them and put them in my tool box. The little I do remember is the coil goes inward and up. It was a trial and error thing with the vice grips holding them. In the end, they worked fine. I hope that helps some. If you still have trouble, I can take a couple of pictures of min installed.

Neil

Comment

Welcome to the SDC Forum!

The first thing is to be sure that the fuel door is adjusted properly. It should close easily and evenly with no springs on it. The springs are only to hold it shut and open. They work over center.
      The easiest way for you to determine how they go is to see another Hawk with the springs correctly installed or at least a picture of same.
      Gary L.
      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
      Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

May or may not be helpful. This is from a '51 but, the springs all fit the same.

Click image for larger version

Name:	PB300512.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1701685 Click image for larger version

Name:	PB300510.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1701684
        Brad Johnson,
        SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
        Pine Grove Mills, Pa.