PDA

View Full Version : Bargain 1960 V8 convertible

BobPalma
11-29-2015, 02:51 PM
:) How could you go wrong at $4,300...or even less? Gee, I wish it was closer:

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/lark/1743112.html?refer=news

:!!: :cool: BP

Halibrand1
11-29-2015, 03:54 PM
Bob maybe Eric DeRosa will comment on this one . He has been loosely looking for a 60 convert and found the owner of this car a little bitter about sending any pictures of the cars underside after telling Eric it needed some rebuilding . Maybe someone close car check it out in person and give an accurate evaluation . Ed

BobPalma
11-29-2015, 04:08 PM
Bob maybe Eric DeRosa will comment on this one. He has been loosely looking for a 60 convert and found the owner of this car a little bitter about sending any pictures of the cars underside after telling Eric it needed some rebuilding. Maybe someone close car check it out in person and give an accurate evaluation. Ed

:o Was this the one, Ed? I thought there was a much rougher one for sale here several weeks ago that looked really bad and obviously needed some rebuilding. :cool: BP

raprice
11-29-2015, 05:14 PM

http://www.hemmings.com/classifieds/cars-for-sale/studebaker/lark/1743112.html?refer=news

Bob,
I saw the same Hemmings ad. The ad called it a project car, but looking at the pix, the car looks pretty sound. Just look at the interior. Anyway, it's too far away for me to consider. I hope someone gets a closer look at it and gives it a good home.
Rog

dpson
11-29-2015, 05:27 PM
It certainly looks too good to be true for the asking price, but hey you never know, would recommend looking at in person....what's that old saying?

StudeRich
11-29-2015, 05:31 PM
It resembles Bob Kabchef's (sp) former Car.
The Engine compartment is not too pretty and the loose wrong size battery is about to be taken out by the Fan! I wonder if a Battery Hold down could fix that? :D

I guess if they did all that Resto over rust and Bondo it could be a problem but it sure does not look like it. It appears to be pretty nice, should be a DEAL! :!:

larkregal62
11-29-2015, 05:45 PM
Yeah Bob, How could you even consider that car without the proper battery hold down:-)))?

BobPalma
11-29-2015, 05:53 PM
Yeah Bob, How could you even consider that car without the proper battery hold down:-)))?

;) We all have our price...:cool: BP

2R2
11-29-2015, 06:55 PM
As Ed George mentioned, I emailed the owner of the car and question, and followed up with the owner a few weeks later. Here is his email response:

The car has rust in the driverí side floor, the undercarriage between the body and frame( hog troughs). Sheet metal repair panels are available via Classic Enterprises Catalogue. Car needs a top, top motor, motor mount and valve gasket. Car runs, drives and stops; but not Interstate ready by any means. Please, no more Emails as it has become tedious.

After debating if I wanted to take on yet another project, I decided to call him a few weeks later in order to ask for pictures of the floors and torque boxes. He stated he would not provide pictures, as he didn't see the need to. He really seemed disinterested in working to sell the car. After a few more words, I quickly decided I was done chasing this car! Maybe someone in Arizona will have better luck.

BobPalma
11-29-2015, 07:03 PM
:eek: Interesting, Eric; thanks. 'Sure wish it was closer; opinions of what constitute "rust" can vary all over the place depending on one's locale.

For those of us in the midwest / upper midwest / great lakes area....:whome: :cool: BP

2R2
11-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Yes Bob, you are correct, Arizona rust is much different than what we see here in the Midwest! That's really why I ultimately decided to call. Still, without pictures, count me out.

Too bad, as a V8 stick shift 'vert would be sweet.

sals54
11-29-2015, 07:55 PM
I can hardly believe the comments here. How many times have these cars come up for sale and many will chime it to say, "if its too good to be true... blah blah blah." I cannot tell you how many times I have bought cars that appeared too good to be true, that turned out to be way better than advertised. I've bought and sold hundreds of cars through the years. If it weren't for the good deals like this, I could not have made any money at it.
This has all the appearance of being one of those great deals, just waiting for someone to snatch it up. $4300 for a running and driving rust bucket would probably sell in the midwest for this kind of money, and this one looks to be far from that. Shipping would not be prohibitive on a car this nice either. Get a convertible V8 Lark locally for $2500, then see how much it costs to get it running, painted, interior put in and still wait to have all the rust repaired. Sheesh.

2R2
11-29-2015, 08:43 PM
Sal,
while I respect your opinion, I don't think asking for photos before plucking down my money plus shipping is to much to ask for. Maybe you are more of a gambler than me. The car was $4,300 firm, plus around $1,450 shipping - I am not that big of a gambler.

ed ellis
11-29-2015, 09:16 PM
If somebody wants a v8 3spd Lark convertible at that price point it might make sense to simply get on a plane and check it out. I bet the seller would be happy to pick a prospective buyer up and return him to the airport.

gordr
11-29-2015, 09:25 PM
Pretty nice looking Lark. Surely there are some AZ members nearby. Green Valley is near Tucson, isn't it?

Bullet
11-29-2015, 09:37 PM
Green Valley is 25 miles or so south of Tucson. It is primarily made up of snow birds that head south for the winter. There is an active chapter there and I am sure if you called the president he could find someone local to go look at it.

Mark

sals54
11-30-2015, 12:20 AM
Green Valley is 25 miles or so south of Tucson. It is primarily made up of snow birds that head south for the winter. There is an active chapter there and I am sure if you called the president he could find someone local to go look at it.

Mark
See? Thats what I'm talking about. If the car checks out, its an easy buy. Yeah, I'm more of a gambler, but I've found that far more often than not, the gamble pays off. But, that being said, if ya snooze, ya looze.

6hk71400
11-30-2015, 01:39 AM

Mark

You know, I bet if anyone was wanting to ask Bob Miles he would be willing to take a short drive down to Green Valley. I understand he occasionally posts on the forum and is not too bad a guy to get along as far as Studebaker stuff is concerned. He probably would not be interested as he is putting a 1955 Speedster back together one piece at a time.

He even drove down to Rio Rico to check out a 1963 Avanti that had been sitting for years and when he drove down about 2 months ago, the car was still there.

Bob Miles:rolleyes:
Tucson AZ
1955 Speedster "Lazarus"

studegary
11-30-2015, 03:04 PM
Sal,
while I respect your opinion, I don't think asking for photos before plucking down my money plus shipping is to much to ask for. Maybe you are more of a gambler than me. The car was $4,300 firm, plus around $1,450 shipping - I am not that big of a gambler.

The ad shows both $4300 AND $4100.

6hk71400
11-30-2015, 04:21 PM

Well, as it turns out, there are several ways this could go wrong. I did some checking with people like Bruce Sandburg who I respect since they have owned several Studebakers since 1956. Bruce went with a few other chapter members to check out this car.

You have hear the saying that if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. This car has a nice but complete incorrect interior that was put in the car. This is the first thing. Secondly, the owner, retired from the legal profession is not very forthcoming with information.

The car is in Arizona that much is true; it is not an Arizona car. The doors do not close very well. When you open the door, it does sag quite a bit and you need to lift it up to close. Not a very promising situation. There is a reason that there are no pictures of the frame, basically the frame is very rusty and would need a new frame.

It does look great, but pictures can be deceiving. Eric has the right idea about not going further to pursue this car. Everyone that has looked on the car here felt like the owner was a bit evasive; he did say in the ad "Needs Restoration" Yes it needs a new frame and the effort, time, energy to restore it. It was not driven; once the frame was looked over no one wanted to make an offer.

There is a 1961 Lark Convertible also here in town. It is a California car that is solid and basically rust free, but because it has been in Arizona for some time, all the interior is baked so it would need all interior, top, dash to be recovered. Engine is a 259 that is frozen and has Borg Warner Flightomatic. Glass and chrome are good. Dennis Mills is a member to the local chapter. He is asking $1,100. If anyone is interested in a reasonably price project, get in touch with me and I will send information. Still have the problem of shipping but the car is a good starting point.

I wish I had better news, but the car in Green Valley sadly is not as good as it looks. It does need some high energy high commitment to make it right. I know I have one of those projects right now that occupies me.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
1955 Speedster "Lazarus"

8E45E
11-30-2015, 04:42 PM
The ad shows both $4300 AND $4100.

I wonder if he'll be like Wal-Mart and take the lower price!!

Craig

BobPalma
11-30-2015, 05:55 PM
:woot: Bob Miles, thanks for your detailed report in Post #20. Just what was needed here, rather than speculation. :!: ;) :cool:BP

sals54
11-30-2015, 07:54 PM
Well, as it turns out, there are several ways this could go wrong. I did some checking with people like Bruce Sandburg who I respect since they have owned several Studebakers since 1956. Bruce went with a few other chapter members to check out this car.

You have hear the saying that if you put lipstick on a pig, it is still a pig. This car has a nice but complete incorrect interior that was put in the car. This is the first thing. Secondly, the owner, retired from the legal profession is not very forthcoming with information.

The car is in Arizona that much is true; it is not an Arizona car. The doors do not close very well. When you open the door, it does sag quite a bit and you need to lift it up to close. Not a very promising situation. There is a reason that there are no pictures of the frame, basically the frame is very rusty and would need a new frame.

It does look great, but pictures can be deceiving. Eric has the right idea about not going further to pursue this car. Everyone that has looked on the car here felt like the owner was a bit evasive; he did say in the ad "Needs Restoration" Yes it needs a new frame and the effort, time, energy to restore it. It was not driven; once the frame was looked over no one wanted to make an offer.

There is a 1961 Lark Convertible also here in town. It is a California car that is solid and basically rust free, but because it has been in Arizona for some time, all the interior is baked so it would need all interior, top, dash to be recovered. Engine is a 259 that is frozen and has Borg Warner Flightomatic. Glass and chrome are good. Dennis Mills is a member to the local chapter. He is asking $1,100. If anyone is interested in a reasonably price project, get in touch with me and I will send information. Still have the problem of shipping but the car is a good starting point.

I wish I had better news, but the car in Green Valley sadly is not as good as it looks. It does need some high energy high commitment to make it right. I know I have one of those projects right now that occupies me.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
1955 Speedster "Lazarus"
Thank Bob. That is the perfect answer to the question. Its not difficult to ascertain the quality of any car with local eyes on it. This particular one turns out to be a bad egg. But I hope this does not cause buyers to be so quick to dismiss a "deal" just because some of them turn out to be pigs in a blanket. Get local help on it quick, so you don't miss out on the next one.

t walgamuth
11-30-2015, 10:04 PM
I was wondering why the car is parked on the incline like that....wondering if that might be hiding something.

6hk71400
11-30-2015, 11:05 PM
I got the feeling in talking with the others that the owner bought the car thinking because it was a top goes down price goes up that it would be possible to make some money. The 1960 Lark was the highest production of convertibles with around 8,300 if I remember correctly. I know that our members were educational with him as far as the condition of the car frame. I think the problem is that with the average age of the forum members around 60, most of us are not willing to take on a project like this.

Sad, but probably what will happen is some one locally that just wants a "nice looking" old car to play with and will buy it not knowing the extent of the work needed to make the car safe and enjoyable. I do hope they will contact us here just for an opinion.

There are still nice cars that are out here and there and would be a great solid basis for a Studebaker. The police car that Bob Palma found comes to mind, but it appears on the last post that the lady was still reluctant to sell. So keep looking and you will find it.

Bob Miles
Tucson AZ
1955 Speedster "Lazarus"

lugamatic
12-01-2015, 07:43 AM
Good morning p m sent