Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lionel Stone heads on engine at Turkey Run in Daytona !!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lionel Stone heads on engine at Turkey Run in Daytona !!

Here are pics that i took today at DIS , during the Turkey Run event.
    The engine is in a "56 Champion , and is owned by a fellow from Medley Fla , near Hialeah .
    The heads are LS, as is the intake . He fired it up , and it runs just fine , and he also said the it had been dyno'd .
    So.... , it's a living, breathing aluminum headed Stude . Excellente !
    There was a bit of a language barrier , but his sons helped , and he said that good bit of fitament was done .
    The car has a Tremec 5 speed , apparently . He is an SDC member.

L Stone head 4 by Bill H, on Flickr

L Stone head 3 by Bill H, on Flickr

L Stone head 2 by Bill H, on Flickr

L Stone head 1 by Bill H, on Flickr
    Last edited by shifter4; 11-28-2015, 06:26 PM. Reason: needed to
    Bill H
    Daytona Beach
    SDC member since 1970
    Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Very interesting.

Just today I spoke with a retired engineer and former Stude racer who's looking for a project. He asked me how many sets of heads would sell the first year.

My thinking is they'd need to look like a Stude head and have a Stude manifold bolt to them. If there was also a better aluminum manifold and if there were separated center exhaust ports with a manifold which looked like an R3, but with separated porting, I could get down with that.

I'll commit to buying the first set of heads at $3,000. Anyone else interested?

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

I'll have to agree... It did sound sweet!
      Neil Thornton

Comment

Interesting, that block is not a Jet Thrust or Avanti, or even a late '62 to '64.

I am sure it is not as hard to find a thick walled block on a '55 to early '62 Casting.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I'd tentatively be in for a set of heads.

Mike

Comment

Wonder what happened to the molds that where used to build these heads and intake.

Comment

A-hah-ha-ha.... That's a good one!

Originally posted by PackardV8 View Post
              <snip>
              I'll commit to buying the first set of heads at $3,000. Anyone else interested?
              jack vines
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Also , BTW , the owner stated that this engine has a 4.0" stroker crank .
                Mike Myers was there as well , and was the one who pointed out the heads , etc.

I've got my wad-o-money waiting on heads also .

"Wonder what happened to the molds that where used to build these heads and intake."

Here is a LINK to the most recent ( of the many) thread regarding the apparently never to be heads .

Bill H
                Daytona Beach
                SDC member since 1970
                Owner of The Skeeter Hawk .

Comment

SW wrote -
                  ""Wonder what happened to the molds that where used to build these heads and intake.""

As I understand it, see Mr. Erb.

The head molds are VERY questionable as to their use. Not only are they "iron" dimensioned molds used with "aluminum", but the intake port mold(s) has been modified from the "Studebaker" design and basically been ruined.

Mike

Comment

That's to bad because if someone could have picked up useable molds at a good discount maybe they could have made the heads and intake at a reasonable price and made money within this life time. Unlike having new molds made up now. Anyone that does that on a Studebaker better have kids and hope they can turn a buck.

Comment

Lotta chatter on those molds.
                      Last story I heard was the molds were genuine Studebaker cast iron molds, slightly modified for use with aluminum.
                      Their removal from the Granatelli shop in California is not without some controversy. (Alan knows more on that)
                      But they were not 6% oversized to account for shrinkage and there was a lot of massaging needed to get them to work.

Rumor was that John Erb was designing a new aluminum head that had newer port designs that would have required a new intake manifold.
                      I have a .jpg of the cross sections in my files.
                      Never heard anything new after that.

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Comment

John Erb called me up a couple of years ago and we talked for about an hour about all things Studebaker and hi-performance stuff. He said he had the first set just about done and he had about $4,800 in them. I told him tell me when they are ready and I will be there with cash in hand and he has never called back.
                        Jeff, The fiasco with the molds was that they were sold to Stu-V in San Diego in 69. When Chris Banke and Dave Livesay broke up about 1980 is when Stone bought their stuff. Chris had every thing but the intake port runner wooden pieces, Dave had those, so Stone borrowed a set of R3 heads from me to pore Devcon down to make new parts, but the set I had were ported by Joe G in shop and were crudely done.
                        Funny, I always hear that the Aluminum heads were made from the iron molds. They have the same casting number on them 1555479 but the combustion chambers are completely different. The Aluminum heads have the heart shape combustion chambers like most other late Stude heads and 2.02" intake valves, but the iron R3 heads have a bath tub shape chamber and smaller intake valves.
                        Last edited by Alan; 11-29-2015, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Ah, yes... more on the phantom, future aluminum Stude heads! What everyone wants (always different from person to person), how much each is "committed" to spend, how many pairs have to be made, etc. etc. Always make good April 1 threads...

Comment

Thanks for the correction, Alan... Story creep is easy....

Jeff

Comment

I posted my committal on the other thread in this section. Bill

Comment

Working...
                              X