"Official Paint Formulas"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Official Paint Formulas"

I visited South Bend a month ago, and was there the day the Archives opened for business. As the owner of a Black Cherry-colored car (at least it once was) I asked them if they had a 'correct' paint formula for my restoration. (This is a color that, as far as I know, never had the formula released to the public.) Sent me to the PPG guys to get the inside of the gas door shot by their computer.

Now I don't mind following that advice, but it seems to me that the Studebaker "color wheel" is being reinvented over and over again. I think that the Archives should collect paint formulas for every last one of the Studebaker models and make them available to members. They could call for 'contributions' from restorers of high-point judged cars, let judges vet or confirm acceptability, and make that the 'official' formula. Use it on your car, get it as right as it can be. I know this may stifle "creativity", but dang it, I'm colorblind and I'll never know if I get it RIGHT any other way.

Thoughts, friends?

51 Commander State Sedan
    Butler PA

51 Commander State Sedan
    Butler PA

A waste of time since the formula's were for paint types that are no longer made and thus the tints are long gone.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

A waste of time since the formula's were for paint types that are no longer made and thus the tints are long gone.

JDP/Maryland
      63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
      spent to date $54664,75
      64 R2 GT (Sid)
      spent to date $62,439.30
      63 Lark 2 door
      52 Starliner
      51 Commander
      39 Coupe express
      39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

As far as shooting the inside of a gas door,[with the computer]not enough area,no accuracy,won't work.[And who would want to try to match the inside of the gas door?after 40-50 years,how do you know what's on the inside of the gas door?-[I have local auto paint store guys that can match colors better by EYEBALL than their 30K computer] Formulas: want to use modern paint,or the type they used way back then? The 'formula' is totally different for any type of paint you choose to mix.PPG: mix a pint of dbu,a pint of dbc,or a pint of dcc,and you will have 3 different shades of the same color. Mix another pint of each,and you may wind up with 3 more shades.
        But Hey,if you're color blind anyway,what's the fuss??

LaSalle,Il
        61Hawk
        Oglesby,Il.

Comment

As far as shooting the inside of a gas door,[with the computer]not enough area,no accuracy,won't work.[And who would want to try to match the inside of the gas door?after 40-50 years,how do you know what's on the inside of the gas door?-[I have local auto paint store guys that can match colors better by EYEBALL than their 30K computer] Formulas: want to use modern paint,or the type they used way back then? The 'formula' is totally different for any type of paint you choose to mix.PPG: mix a pint of dbu,a pint of dbc,or a pint of dcc,and you will have 3 different shades of the same color. Mix another pint of each,and you may wind up with 3 more shades.
          But Hey,if you're color blind anyway,what's the fuss??

LaSalle,Il
          61Hawk
          Oglesby,Il.

Comment

JP,ya beat me by 1 second and said as much as I,in one sentence![8D]

LaSalle,Il
            61Hawk
            Oglesby,Il.

Comment

JP,ya beat me by 1 second and said as much as I,in one sentence![8D]

LaSalle,Il
              61Hawk
              Oglesby,Il.

Comment

Even with the 'correct' formula, paint companies deal in variances. There is no perfect shade. The variances may have been fewer back in the '40's and '50's, but they still existed. On modern cars, there may be 20+ variances for a single color.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

Even with the 'correct' formula, paint companies deal in variances. There is no perfect shade. The variances may have been fewer back in the '40's and '50's, but they still existed. On modern cars, there may be 20+ variances for a single color.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                  Tom - Valrico, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $1755.45)

Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                  1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

The color codes and mixing formulas for almost every Studebaker color appears in the service bulletins. I can give you that info, but as has already been stated, it won't do you much good.
                    You might try calling the Dupont hotline (1-800-3-dupont) and see if they can do anything with the original codes, color no. 8336, baking enamel symbol W-UY, air dry enamel N-0115.

Dwain G.
                    Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

The color codes and mixing formulas for almost every Studebaker color appears in the service bulletins. I can give you that info, but as has already been stated, it won't do you much good.
                      You might try calling the Dupont hotline (1-800-3-dupont) and see if they can do anything with the original codes, color no. 8336, baking enamel symbol W-UY, air dry enamel N-0115.

Dwain G.
                      Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

I took my Avanti's trunk lid to a DuPont paint dealer..Even though the inside paint was like new, couldn't get their computer to match the paint. Its turquose and I thought that would have been easy for them..He said they could try to match it. Had the formula but, like JDP said, the paints from then are totally different than 2days paints..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I took my Avanti's trunk lid to a DuPont paint dealer..Even though the inside paint was like new, couldn't get their computer to match the paint. Its turquose and I thought that would have been easy for them..He said they could try to match it. Had the formula but, like JDP said, the paints from then are totally different than 2days paints..

New Jersey & Studes Perfect Together

Comment

I've called DuPont a couple of times for the current code to match an old Studebaker paint code. They happily provide the closest match to a current code, though it is not a new blend to match the exact color. On the other hand, I think they are actually scanning some old color chips that they have there and who knows how those may have changed over the years.

Ray Fichthorn has posted a number of paint fomulas on the web site at www.ncsdc.com, but Ray expressed some reluctance to accept the DuPont matches as exact, which I suppose is true. But, how close is "close enough", especially when the pigments are not the same as the old ones and there were variations anyway? Cars don't even look the same color in noon-day sunshine and cloudy afternoons, and it would be nearly impossible to match colors under different lighting conditions.

It would be good if SDC at least kept a web-accessible file of known paint formulas, if only to use as a starting point for adjusting to a specific car. Who wants to volunteer to collect them?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard
                            web site at http://www.studegarage.com
                            Gary Ash
                            Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                            ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                            '48 M5
                            '65 Wagonaire Commander
                            '63 Wagonaire Standard

Comment

I've called DuPont a couple of times for the current code to match an old Studebaker paint code. They happily provide the closest match to a current code, though it is not a new blend to match the exact color. On the other hand, I think they are actually scanning some old color chips that they have there and who knows how those may have changed over the years.

Ray Fichthorn has posted a number of paint fomulas on the web site at www.ncsdc.com, but Ray expressed some reluctance to accept the DuPont matches as exact, which I suppose is true. But, how close is "close enough", especially when the pigments are not the same as the old ones and there were variations anyway? Cars don't even look the same color in noon-day sunshine and cloudy afternoons, and it would be nearly impossible to match colors under different lighting conditions.

It would be good if SDC at least kept a web-accessible file of known paint formulas, if only to use as a starting point for adjusting to a specific car. Who wants to volunteer to collect them?

[img=left]http://www.studegarage.com/images/gary_ash_m5_sm.jpg[/img=left] Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard
                              Gary Ash
                              Dartmouth, Mass.

'32 Indy car replica (in progress)
                              ’41 Commander Land Cruiser
                              '48 M5
                              '65 Wagonaire Commander
                              '63 Wagonaire Standard