R series rear fender and bed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: R series rear fender and bed

I found a old pickup bed trailer minus the tailgate a couple of days ago. Sure looks like an R series Studebaker. Did any other manufacturers use the same style of rear fender and bed? Any way to confirm?
    1949 2r5 28196
    170ci 6cyl
    4spd

No need to confirm, there ARE not and never have been anything even Close to a Stepside P1 Bed with full Double walls and a Corrugated Steel Floor, with hidden Stake Pockets and a smooth outer Bedside.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2R6-112 Green1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1701649 Note that the Fender Shape matches the Front.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Thanks. Back for a closer look tomorrow. It was full of junk so I couldn't see the bed, but it had the smooth outer bedside with the horizontal seam. stake pockets, fender shape, and the double wall. Then to try and talk them out of it. They also have an early 50's IH travelall. Very rough, but special none the less.
      1949 2r5 28196
      170ci 6cyl
      4spd

Comment

Here are some more pictures for reference.
        Attached Files
        "In the heart of Arkansas."
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Definitely a Studebaker. 6 1/2' but with 6 lugs and 3 stake pockets each side.
          1949 2r5 28196
          170ci 6cyl
          4spd

Comment

6.5' and 6 lugs and 3 stake pockets? Are you sure it isn't an 8' bed?
            Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip you're right. It's 8'. Doesn't look it but measures it. Now to see if I can figure out what model it came from. Looks to be a dark blue under all the birch bud sap, aphid juice, mold, and lichens.
              1949 2r5 28196
              170ci 6cyl
              4spd

Comment

It's definitely worth saving -- by East Coast standards, that's a rust-free bed, and the bed floor looks dent-free. It's from a 2R, 3R, or E-series 3/4-ton, or a 3R or E-series one-ton truck. The 8' bed was available on them all. The 2R-series one-ton trucks had 5-lug hubs. The six ribs in the tail gate say it's 49-55.
                Skip Lackie

Comment

Skip - photos above are from 52-Fan. It looks like a Rolls compared to the trailer I've found. Waiting on the owner(doesn't live local) to contact me and get permission to empty all the junk out of it so I can see the bed. Dented both sides front of the fenders, fenders rusted lower rear, tailgate missing, J hooks mounted low along both sides.
                  1949 2r5 28196
                  170ci 6cyl
                  4spd

Comment

Ah -- I see that now. Missed that little wrinkle.
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                    X