PDA

View Full Version : Any 65 Parts Cars Out there?

Studebaker1965
11-23-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm looking for some parts off a 65. Are there any parts cars that you know of? Thanks.

Nate

2R5
11-23-2015, 09:00 PM
Just what you looking for?

Studebaker1965
11-23-2015, 09:05 PM
A Yellow Valve cover, either 6 or 8.

wolfie
11-23-2015, 09:08 PM
A 2 door in Asheville NC at R-Jam surplus. Been on the lot there for many years (was there in 82 or 83 and was still there several months ago). Its rough but complete Last time I saw it advertised he was asking $1000 for it but he may be interested in an offer or parting it out. 2 others I have seen advertised in the Hickory NC area but I have never looked at those and don't know if they are still there or not. I THINK I can find the seller if we get a few warm days that I am not working. He also has a badly wrecked 62 conv. Gives me a great excuse to ride the bike so I don't mind trying. Steve

wolfie
11-23-2015, 09:10 PM

If I am remembering correctly those valve covers are not Stude specific. One from a Chevy and a can of yellow paint ... Steve

2R5
11-23-2015, 09:20 PM
Shouldn't be too hard to find

wittsend
11-23-2015, 09:48 PM
Intrigued, you are looking for either a 6 (inline six) or a V-8 valve cover? I'd assume you have either two cars, or two engines because the valve covers for each ("... either 6 or 8") are distinctly different. Or do you just need any 65 Studebaker valve cover to match the paint?

63t-cab
11-23-2015, 10:28 PM
Nate, what condition does the valve cover need to be ? I may have one that fits your need,I'll check it out if You'd like.

Studebaker1965
11-24-2015, 05:39 AM
As long as it has decent original paint, I'm not going to use it on the car. The 65s yellow was very different from south bend, so I'd like to match it. Thanks!

pinehurstbob
11-24-2015, 06:48 AM
John Deere yellow is pretty close and is easy to find for 64 and earlier. Is there a difference for 65?
Bob

wwogg
11-24-2015, 07:42 AM
There's this one. http://ocala.craigslist.org/cto/5297357920.html

Studebaker1965
11-24-2015, 09:41 AM
There is a difference in color. It is a much paler yellow.

stephenj
11-24-2015, 11:27 AM
There's a 65 4 door Commander for sale in Hamilton ON.
You could drive it home for about $1,500 US I think.

wolfie
11-24-2015, 03:31 PM
http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5327546305.html Ad says 64 but I think this one may be a 65. He states factory Chevrolet power. Steve

thunderations
11-24-2015, 04:12 PM
But........it's missing the engine and trans.

http://hickory.craigslist.org/cto/5327546305.html Ad says 64 but I think this one may be a 65. He states factory Chevrolet power. Steve

wolfie
11-24-2015, 04:28 PM
But........it's missing the engine and trans.

DOH! Thats what happens when you scan an ad instead of reading it thoroughly. I wasnt interested in it, just saw the ad and linked it. Steve

stephenj
11-24-2015, 10:04 PM
The one I was talking about is on the Hamilton Chapter web site and Kijiji in Canada.

tstoj38
11-25-2015, 02:54 PM
Seattle CL. has a 65 Cruiser listed by a U-PULL-IT yard. Selling all or parts. Threatening to crush it.

Mark L
11-25-2015, 08:15 PM
This is the link to the one in Seattle CL:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/ptd/5332195901.html

Studebaker1965
11-26-2015, 07:22 AM
Man I wish that 65 in Seattle wasn't on the opposite end of the country from me...

wittsend
11-26-2015, 12:02 PM
Pardon my comments that might seem rude and inappropriate. I'm a multi brand car owner and am on many different car forums. Yet I see posting like this thread only on the Studebaker site. And, I've seen it numerous times (by other people). Maybe it's because I'm under 60 and live on the west coast??? Maybe it's a Studebaker thing??? Regardless it leaves me perplexed.

First we need to distinguish the difference between a "Parts Car" and a car being "Parted Out." A parts car is when a whole car is sold but lacks a title or has damage beyond restoring. A car being parted out is when the seller is willing to remove and sell specific parts.
The original poster asked a very vague request for a specific year "parts car." When one reads through the thread it becomes obvious they are really in need to find someone "parting out" this year car. In post #3 we find a more specific "yellow valve cover" need, but it is confusing none the less because the cover application is for either a "6 or 8" (cylinder) engine and one doesn't fit the other. Then, in post #9 we finally find out the whole reason they want the yellow valve cover (engine type inconsequential) is simply because they want to match the color. Why in ONE post and ONE sentence could it have not been requested, "I need a 65 Studebaker valve cover so I can match the yellow color." ???

Then..., after it is established the need is only for a paint color match (and note the original poster is in Pennsylvania) there are posts pointing to whole cars at #11 in Florida, at #14 in North Carolina and at #19 in Washington (state). I can't imagine anyone paying the car price and car shipping costs just to get a yellow valve cover to match the paint! Why point to whole cars hundreds, if not thousands of miles away???

I read this and I feel like I'm watch an episode of the Newhart show (the second one, where he was a Vermont innkeeper) and all the town folk were so confusing. And then, after trying to make sense of it all I feel like I need to be in the first "Bob Newhart Show" where he was a psychologist (to hopefully be told I'm not going crazy).

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anyone but the whole process just plain doesn't make sense. I only see this on the Studebaker site, and I'm trying to figure out why?

Mark L
11-26-2015, 12:32 PM
I'll talk to my other brother Darryl and see if we can figure out why. Maybe it's because we're Different by Design.

Since the ad in Spanaway WA is for "parts or all", maybe someone in the Tacoma chapter can stop by and get Nate what he needs and mail it to him if Nate can't find anything closer to home from a Studebaker or Chevy.

And if no one else will do it, I will.

So what various GM models would have had the same valve covers Nate is looking for? Giving Nate the years and models would give him a bigger pool of donor cars to look for closer to home.

Scott
11-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Pardon my comments that might seem rude and inappropriate. I'm a multi brand car owner and am on many different car forums. Yet I see posting like this thread only on the Studebaker site. And, I've seen it numerous times (by other people). Maybe it's because I'm under 60 and live on the west coast??? Maybe it's a Studebaker thing??? Regardless it leaves me perplexed.

First we need to distinguish the difference between a "Parts Car" and a car being "Parted Out." A parts car is when a whole car is sold but lacks a title or has damage beyond restoring. A car being parted out is when the seller is willing to remove and sell specific parts.
The original poster asked a very vague request for a specific year "parts car." When one reads through the thread it becomes obvious they are really in need to find someone "parting out" this year car. In post #3 we find a more specific "yellow valve cover" need, but it is confusing none the less because the cover application is for either a "6 or 8" (cylinder) engine and one doesn't fit the other. Then, in post #9 we finally find out the whole reason they want the yellow valve cover (engine type inconsequential) is simply because they want to match the color. Why in ONE post and ONE sentence could it have not been requested, "I need a 65 Studebaker valve cover so I can match the yellow color." ???

Then..., after it is established the need is only for a paint color match (and note the original poster is in Pennsylvania) there are posts pointing to whole cars at #11 in Florida, at #14 in North Carolina and at #19 in Washington (state). I can't imagine anyone paying the car price and car shipping costs just to get a yellow valve cover to match the paint! Why point to whole cars hundreds, if not thousands of miles away???

I read this and I feel like I'm watch an episode of the Newhart show (the second one, where he was a Vermont innkeeper) and all the town folk were so confusing. And then, after trying to make sense of it all I feel like I need to be in the first "Bob Newhart Show" where he was a psychologist (to hopefully be told I'm not going crazy).

Again, I'm not trying to belittle anyone but the whole process just plain doesn't make sense. I only see this on the Studebaker site, and I'm trying to figure out why?

I don't know about other sites, but I do see that here an awful lot. If there isn't a sticky about etiquette including being specific and to the point when making a request or seeking information there should be! In fact, I would be for an automatic refusal to post an initial post in a thread if it doesn't even reach 40 words. I assume it would act like the technical forum where it won't post if you do not pick a category.

Neil
11-26-2015, 01:29 PM
I have a 65 Cruiser for parts but it has black valve covers.

2R5
11-26-2015, 01:45 PM
[QUOTE=Neil;958617]I have a 65 Cruiser for parts but it has black valve covers.[/QUOTE

if original its a late '65

wittsend
11-26-2015, 01:51 PM
I'll talk to my other brother Darryl and see if we can figure out why. Maybe it's because we're Different by Design.

Since the ad in Spanaway WA is for "parts or all", maybe someone in the Tacoma chapter can stop by and get Nate what he needs and mail it to him if Nate can't find anything closer to home from a Studebaker or Chevy.

And if no one else will do it, I will.

So what various GM models would have had the same valve covers Nate is looking for? Giving Nate the years and models would give him a bigger pool of donor cars to look for closer to home.

If one looks at the picture the valve covers show significant rust. It is hard to detect any yellow at all. Thus, they are probably not a good sample.

Note that Nate does not state he is looking for valve covers (per say), he is looking for 65 (Studebaker color) yellow valve covers - to match the paint. His stated need is to "match the paint" not that he needs valve covers. GM valve covers came in other colors (orange, black,?) but not yellow. And someone stated elsewhere that the 66 Studebaker valve covers were black. Thus any other valve cover that is not 65 Studebaker yellow would not seem to meet his need of a color match.

Studebaker1965
11-26-2015, 03:50 PM
Yes, I was being vague to begin with. I was hoping to find a parts car and then follow up with that lead to find valve covers. I was afraid if I posted asking for valve covers to match, I would get the generic "use john Deere yellow" comment. It's not a big deal, but it is important to try and replicate the factory yellow again. Thanks again for all the replies. I enjoy the comments and knowledge on the forum. I was being vague to prevent being jumped on by the "just use yellow, it's close enough" crowd. Thanks.

Nate

Swifster
11-26-2015, 04:17 PM
1) Yellow can fade
2) In volume painting, there are variances based on the day, the humidity, temperature, etc. Sometimes you'll get more than 20 variances to the same color.
3) If the GM valve covers were black to begin with, you MAY get a different color yellow by painting over the black.
4) If Studebaker was winding down production, it would make more sense that they would use up what yellow they had than to order more paint. This would make sense if Studebaker switched to black valve covers for late '65 engines/cars.
5) If for some reason Studebaker switched suppliers for this yellow paint, I doubt they would change the formula. See #2. Is there any proof that the supplier for the paint changed?

Studebaker1965
11-26-2015, 04:26 PM
I agree with the variations in paint, but the engines were painted at the McKinnon plant before Studebaker got them, were they not?

Swifster
11-26-2015, 04:42 PM
I agree with the variations in paint, but the engines were painted at the McKinnon plant before Studebaker got them, were they not?

Were the valve covers painted on the engine or off? Were they painted at the McKinnon plant? Did the engine come from McKinnon or Flint? I'm not convinced all off the engines used came from McKinnon. If there were black, orange, yellow, etc, colors on the valve covers, it would stand to reason the valve covers were painted off the engine.

There was also the thought that engines were shipped to Hamilton from Flint. A 283 is a 283. The idea behind McKinnon was to save on taxes crossing the border. I remember reading Studebaker wasn't happy with the cost savings because there were additional costs. Taxes? I'm not sold on the idea every engine came from McKinnon. McKinnon supplied GM with their Canadian engines. What if the plant was going at full capacity? I'm sure extra needs came from Flint.

Studebaker1965
11-26-2015, 04:47 PM
I've seen some original paint engines with the valve cover bolts painted yellow. I am guessing they were painted on the engine. I am thinking the decals may have been applied at Studebaker. Maybe stu chapman recalls...

2moredoors
11-26-2015, 04:51 PM
You will have to read Stu Chapman's book "My Father the Car". His explanation in the book was that it wastGM's idea to use the McKinnon plant to supply the engines. Had they come from the USA the Studebaker company could have used losses against the cost (using an American suppler). They could have come from Tonawada NY which is near the St, Catharines plant. In the book, Stu also suggested that it was GM again who told Studebaker that they no longer wished to palnt the valve covers another colour than the block .
Stud may wish to jump in on this.

wittsend
11-26-2015, 08:14 PM
Thank you Nate for the explanation. It helps to clear up the methodology of your posts.

I looked up GM engine colors and came up with these in the general related time period:
K89110 1951-62 Chevy Blue
K89115 1962-prior Chevy Medium Gray
K89120 1977-prior Chevy Orange Red
K89180 1963-79 GM Truck Engine Red
K89150 1966-prior GM Spectra Red

Interesting that the McKinnon came with a black block/head in Studebaker's (not in the list). I'd think the yellow valve cover was specifically designated by Studebaker to be "close" to looking like their engines. And likely when they went to black valve covers it was either a cost or time (or both) savings. Given the masking involved I'd think the valve covers/bolts were painted off the engine.

Not to add confusion but when my Hamilton built '64 Daytona got in my hands it had a 65-66 drivetrain swap. The block was black but the valve covers were gold (under all that dirt). You can see the faintest hint of gold looking upward from the "Y" in the exhaust manifold. The "Thunderbolt" stickers were still on the cover (thus I mention the color). Not sure how they got that way - with stickers. Sorry to say I have no recollection of an underlying color. I have a reverse side image of the covers and there is no paint overrun to tell. This was a mixed parts car so no telling where everything came from. When I sold the McKinnon I painted the covers black, but did mask off the stickers.