Muscle Car & Corvette Nats ad w/Nels' R2 Standard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Car & Corvette Nats ad w/Nels' R2 Standard

(Thought I'd "run" this here in a new thread because most folks have seen the earlier thread about Nelson's R2 Standard being featured at The 2015 Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals this past weekend. If I added this to that earlier thread, it might be missed.)

Anyway, this large, newspaper-size (22 X 17) publication, Ledfoot News, is published and distributed around Chicagoland; they say around 40,000 copies. Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals promoters bought the entire center spread of this November/December issue, wall-to-wall when you opened the newspaper to its natural "middle," to promote this year's event:

I don't have the ability to scan anything as large as 17 X 22 to link to my Photobucket account for posting, so I folded the big center advertisement to highlight the lower left corner (i.e., one fourth) of the whole ad.

Here it is, with Nels' R2 Standard featured in the ad to represent the special Post Sedan Invitational Display:

(Besides, with both Nels' R2 Standard and Overhaulin' star Courtney Hansen featured in this fourth of the whole advertisement, who needs to see the rest of it? ) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Bob last year Teds car was on a similar ad along with some other cars that would be in the Pure Stock display . My gold Avanti was used this year on a small 3 fold handout that promoted it to be a Family Event . The picture is my family standing behind the car that my parents bought in 1972 . I told Bob Ashton the story about the car and my wife acquiring it for my 50th birthday from mom and dad and that there would be 3 generations there with the car . The ads work since I was asked quite a few times where are all the other Studebakers like last year. Ed

Comment

Right, Ed; 'got it. Thanks for sending it to me.

Here is The Stude Tomato on last year's Muscle Car & Corvette Nationals poster, when it (and Ted!) were part of "the show within a show" that was the display of cars hat had competed at The Pure Stock Muscle Car Drag Race:

Again, thanks for the send so I could copy and paste it. BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Here is a picture of my car, which appeared on the poster for the 2013 Rosemont Muscle Car and Corvette National (MCACN) show a couple of years ago:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	show poster one.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1701624Click image for larger version

Name:	show poster 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	1701625
        I might add that 2013 was the first year the show had ever had a Studebaker in it. I brought my 1963 factory R2 Lark, while Ed George had his R3 powered '63 Avanti there. We were part of the "Class of '63" display, and I think the popularity of our cars is what opened the door to the show promoters being open to having more Studes there in future years. While I may have got the ball originally rolling on having Studes in the show, most of the heavy lifting has been done by Ed George and his crew the past couple of years. It was a thrill having my car there in '13 and '14, and having lived through it, I can appreciate all the effort and hard work Ed and the gang go through each year to pull this off.
        Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
        \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I do not understand the title of "Ledfoot News". I would think that it should be "Leadfoot News".

To me, an LED is a light bulb and lead is a heavy metal.
          In the 1950s, we referred to fast drivers as leadfoots.

I also see cars advertised now as ledsleds (rather than leadsleds).
          I can understand this error in an ad, but not for a magazine title. Am I missing something?
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Just guessing...there may have a stronger demand for "Leadfoot" as opposed to "Ledfoot" and it wasn't available. http://leadfootmusclecars.com/news for example.
            "Growing old is mandatory, but growing up is optional." author unknown

Comment

Used to be called gearhead news. A great FREE paper.
              61 lark cruiser
              64 daytona 2dr hardtop

Comment

Working...
              X