Air Shocks for 62 GT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Shocks for 62 GT

Can anyone suggest good air shocks to install on my 62 GT? It has all new springs but because the rims and tires do not have the ideal offset I get a bit of tire rubbing when there are passengers in the back. It needs rear shocks anyway so I thought a good set of air shocks would allow me to raise the rear just a bit when carrying passengers. So far I have not been able to find anyone who has a a listing for a 62 GT, here in Canada at least, so if anyone has a product number or proper dimensions I would really appreciate it. BTW the previous owner's mechanic told me the car now has a flanged rear axle vs the original tapered so I don't know if that would make a difference re: the shocks? I found it curious that they put new rear springs on the car but the shocks are much older looking. Wonder if they had problems finding shocks that fit? Hope not! Thanks......

Here is the cross reference chart the Nate Nagel put together some time ago. No air shocks are listed but it would give you some brand name part numbers to cross to...

http://www.northstarwheel.com/Resources/interchange.pdf

Just a caution. With regular shocks there is little to no load on the shock mounts. With air shocks, you are actually supporting the car from the shock mounts. Make sure your upper shock mount has not deteriorated or it will rip out.

Another idea is to trade in your wheels and tires for ones that fit if you like the current stance of the car.
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

As Dick said watch your upper mount closely. Don't add to much air or it will for sure rip up the upper mount. They are not the strongest to start with.

Comment

I have a nice used pair available reasonably

Comment

Originally posted by Dick Steinkamp View Post
          Here is the cross reference chart the Nate Nagel put together some time ago. No air shocks are listed but it would give you some brand name part numbers to cross to...

Just a caution. With regular shocks there is little to no load on the shock mounts. With air shocks, you are actually supporting the car from the shock mounts. Make sure your upper shock mount has not deteriorated or it will rip out.

Another idea is to trade in your wheels and tires for ones that fit if you like the current stance of the car.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080428.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1701609Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080432.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1701610Click image for larger version

Name:	20150729_135828.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1701611

Wow, that chart is fantastic, thank you. I have read about the concerns with using air shocks and I honestly would prefer not to but I do like the stance of the car and I like the wheels as they are hard to find spokes that I think look pretty good. The rear springs are new so they are not weak and I would likely only "pump" up the shocks when carrying passengers. When the tires rub it is just ever so slightly so I don't think it would need to be raised very much. I guess the other option would be to add a leaf but then the car would sit too high, I think anyway. The upper mounts are in good condition but I certainly wouldn't want to do any damage and they do look to be a little light I will concede! You can see in the photos of my GT that the wheel wells are definitely full! Thanks again for your help!

- - - Updated - - -

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080428.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	172.6 KB
ID:	1701609Click image for larger version

Name:	P1080432.jpg
Size:	167.7 KB
ID:	1701610Click image for larger version

Name:	20150729_135828.jpg
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	1701611

Wow, that chart is fantastic, thank you. I have read about the concerns with using air shocks and I honestly would prefer not to but I do like the stance of the car and I like the wheels as they are hard to find spokes that I think look pretty good. The rear springs are new so they are not weak and I would likely only "pump" up the shocks when carrying passengers. When the tires rub it is just ever so slightly so I don't think it would need to be raised very much. I guess the other option would be to add a leaf but then the car would sit too high, I think anyway. The upper mounts are in good condition but I certainly wouldn't want to do any damage and they do look to be a little light I will concede! You can see in the photos of my GT that the wheel wells are definitely full! Thanks again for your help!
          Last edited by Kato; 11-22-2015, 05:17 PM. Reason: duplicated

Comment

Kato, The stock 62 GT rear springs had a much greater true arch for some reason. Perhaps the new springs do not have the same true arch. It looks a little low in the rear, from your pics.

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
              Kato, The stock 62 GT rear springs had a much greater true arch for some reason. Perhaps the new springs do not have the same true arch. It looks a little low in the rear, from your pics.
              I'd say the same. It's 1" or so lower than stock in the rear.
              Dick Steinkamp
              Bellingham, WA

Comment

Originally posted by Alan View Post
                So maybe I'd be better off to add a leaf?

Comment

I'd say the same. It's 1" or so lower than stock in the rear.
                  I'd like to get it back to the proper stock height in the rear. As I said in the previous post maybe I'd be better to add a leaf or increase the arch on these? I can see that the springs on the car are new but I don't know where they came from. Then maybe some load leveling shocks if I can find some?
                  Last edited by Kato; 11-23-2015, 05:35 AM.

Comment

What about coil overs?
                    I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Try adding a leaf just under the main leaf. I have used main leafs and cut off the eyes. It gives a full spring to work without making a harsh ride.
                      I learned this trick years ago with a Lincoln that leaned to the drivers side. The spring company added one long leaf to the drivers side spring. It sat level and the ride didn't change.
                      sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                      1950 Champion Convertible
                      1950 Champion 4Dr
                      1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                      1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by wlfrench View Post
                        What about coil overs?
                        Is that a type of shock?

Comment

Originally posted by thunderations View Post
                          Try adding a leaf just under the main leaf. I have used main leafs and cut off the eyes. It gives a full spring to work without making a harsh ride.
                          I learned this trick years ago with a Lincoln that leaned to the drivers side. The spring company added one long leaf to the drivers side spring. It sat level and the ride didn't change.
                          We have a very good spring shop near here. I'll go and ask them about doing something like that. Not sure why the new springs allow the car to sit so low in the back but the ride is good so I wouldn't want to be too aggressive with adding springs! Thanks..

Comment

Originally posted by Kato View Post
                            Is that a type of shock?
                            I'd rather be driving my Studebaker!

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the link. I just wonder if coil overs might cause the same damage to the upper mounts as air shocks would? I certainly don't want to damage the mounts but I do need to find a way to raise the rear somewhat and hopefully not compromise the ride at the same time!

Comment

Working...
                              X