Bumper brackets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bumper brackets

If a car is in a fender bender and you repair the body damage and have the bumper rechromed , how do you fix the bumper bracket? It seems that when I look at the rear panel between the bumper and panel there is not enough room, do I need new brackets or can a bracket be safe and used again? How would I bend it back?

Studebakers forever!
    Studebakers forever!

Some bumper brackets can be reused(strightened) if they are not bent to bad. Depending on what model car you have, some have slots in them where they bolt to the frame that will allow you to slide the bumper in and out and make that gap correct. As far as how to straighten it. Remember it was bend by strong inpact. With that in mind a big hammer and some heat my be the only answer. As far as safe. Really don't know what you mean. They were not inpact braces , so I guess they are always going to be safe. Good Luck.

1956 Studebaker Pelham Wagon Houston, Texas
    Remember, \"When all is said and done. More is always said then ever done.\"

Comment

quote:Originally posted by studelover

If a car is in a fender bender and you repair the body damage and have the bumper rechromed , how do you fix the bumper bracket? It seems that when I look at the rear panel between the bumper and panel there is not enough room, do I need new brackets or can a bracket be safe and used again? How would I bend it back?

Studebakers forever!
      If the bracket/frame holes are not elongated, take your torch to them and make them elongated.

Jerry Forrester
      Douglasville, Georgia
      Be sure to check out my eBay store

for your shiny Stude stuff

More pix of Leo here...http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/d...rrystudebaker/
      Jerry Forrester
      Forrester's Chrome
      Douglasville, Georgia

See all of Buttercup's pictures at https://imgur.com/a/tBjGzTk

Comment

Bumper brackets are not a high-demand item (except maybe for C-cab truck rears). It might be easier to just buy a used set. Surely most would be avalable for a reasonable price from Stude vendors selling used parts.

Skip Lackie
        Washington DC
        Skip Lackie

Comment

bumper brackets are better replaced then repaired! If the bracket is not straightened 100% right, you'll be "elongating" frame holes to make them fit! There is something wrong if that is needed.

Jim

Comment

Working...
          X