X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Plates

Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Interesting that the Calif. DMV changes that law..
    Several year ago after buying my "63 GT Hawk at a lein sale. I went to the DMV to get the paperwork started on it. After several trips, a visit from the CHP to inspect the car, and a box of paperwork they decided to make me legal owner of the car.
    I was told to bring both plates from the car when I came with the CHP verification paperwork.
    After reviewing the paperwork the clerk takes my plates from me and tells me that (at the time) Governor Gray Davis had signed a law that said all old plated must be replaced by the new reflectorized plates.
    I told her that it was my understanding that if the vehicle had the plates assigned to it originally that I should be able to keep them.
    I then reached over the counter and retrieved them from her desk. After a brief discussion with the manager, I was allowed to keep them and register the car with them..
    Now they reside on the garage wall as I moved to Oregon!

George
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    65 Commander 2door
    64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
    63 Champ
    63 GT Hawk
    51 Champion Starlight Coupe
    George King
    Grants Pass, Oregon
    64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

Interesting that the Calif. DMV changes that law..
      Several year ago after buying my "63 GT Hawk at a lein sale. I went to the DMV to get the paperwork started on it. After several trips, a visit from the CHP to inspect the car, and a box of paperwork they decided to make me legal owner of the car.
      I was told to bring both plates from the car when I came with the CHP verification paperwork.
      After reviewing the paperwork the clerk takes my plates from me and tells me that (at the time) Governor Gray Davis had signed a law that said all old plated must be replaced by the new reflectorized plates.
      I told her that it was my understanding that if the vehicle had the plates assigned to it originally that I should be able to keep them.
      I then reached over the counter and retrieved them from her desk. After a brief discussion with the manager, I was allowed to keep them and register the car with them..
      Now they reside on the garage wall as I moved to Oregon!

George
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      65 Commander 2door
      64 Wagonaire's (1 parts car, 1 Canadian fixed roof disc brake car, the other sliding roof South Bend car.)
      63 Champ
      63 GT Hawk
      51 Champion Starlight Coupe
      George King
      Grants Pass, Oregon
      64 Station Wagon with fixed roof (Canadian Car)

66 Station Wagon with fixed roof. Project car, complete For Sale...

64 Wagonaire sliding roof South Bend car. For Sale...

63 GT Hawk

51 Champion Starlight Coupe For Sale...

Comment

We have been allowed to license any antique vehicle with YOM plates for years. If I recall, Virginia went to decals around 1973-74. As a consequence, Virginia tags have always been pricey. I was able to score a decent set of 1970 truck tags on e-Bay for $10 and licensed my Power Wagon with them last week.

Comment

We have been allowed to license any antique vehicle with YOM plates for years. If I recall, Virginia went to decals around 1973-74. As a consequence, Virginia tags have always been pricey. I was able to score a decent set of 1970 truck tags on e-Bay for $10 and licensed my Power Wagon with them last week.

Comment

As I remember, the law takes effect in July 2008. This gives time to find some on eBay, where the price is now going up.

Perry
            '23 Special Six,
            '50 Business Champ,
            '50 Starlight Champ,
            '60 Lark droptop,
            '63 GT R1
            Perry
            \'50 Business Champion
            \'50 Starlight Champion
            \'60 Lark Convertible,
            \'63 GT R1,
            \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

As I remember, the law takes effect in July 2008. This gives time to find some on eBay, where the price is now going up.

Perry
              '23 Special Six,
              '50 Business Champ,
              '50 Starlight Champ,
              '60 Lark droptop,
              '63 GT R1
              Perry
              \'50 Business Champion
              \'50 Starlight Champion
              \'60 Lark Convertible,
              \'63 GT R1,
              \'67 Triumph TR4A

Comment

When I got my '58 Packard she had the black/yellow plates that were put on her back in '63. They were still current, and I managed to keep them on the car. [^]
                Maybe one day I'll opt for YOM plates on her~ [?] [?] [?]
                My '57 Champion still had her '63s as well, but by the time I get the paperwork together on it~ I may not be living here anymore!!! [:0]

On the other hand, if I stay here in Cali after I retire next Summer I'll need to redo paperwork on the other four cars, as they are all currently registered in Washington... [xx(]

StudeDave [8D]
                V/P San Diego County SDC
                San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                StudeDave '57
                US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                SDC Member since 1985

past President
                Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                San Diego Chapter SDC
                North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

When I got my '58 Packard she had the black/yellow plates that were put on her back in '63. They were still current, and I managed to keep them on the car. [^]
                  Maybe one day I'll opt for YOM plates on her~ [?] [?] [?]
                  My '57 Champion still had her '63s as well, but by the time I get the paperwork together on it~ I may not be living here anymore!!! [:0]

On the other hand, if I stay here in Cali after I retire next Summer I'll need to redo paperwork on the other four cars, as they are all currently registered in Washington... [xx(]

StudeDave [8D]
                  V/P San Diego County SDC
                  San Diego, Ca

The Official Website of the San Diego Chapter of the Studebaker Drivers Club. Serving San Diego County

'54 Commander Regal 4dr 'Ruby'
                  '57 Commander DeLuxe 2dr 'Baby'
                  '57 Champion Custom 2dr 'Jewel'
                  '57 Parkview (she's a 2dr wagon...) 'Betsy'
                  '58 Packard sedan 'Cleo'
                  '65 Cruiser 'Sweet Pea'
                  StudeDave '57
                  US Navy (retired)

3rd Generation Stude owner/driver
                  SDC Member since 1985

past President
                  Whatcom County Chapter SDC
                  San Diego Chapter SDC

past Vice President
                  San Diego Chapter SDC
                  North Florida Chapter SDC

Comment

Gee, I'm glad I lied to the DMV and told them my plates got lost. Now, I can put the original plates on Ed. They demanded them and I refused when he was registered. It was a devil of a problem to get plates off that had been on the truck for over forty years. The back plate still had the Sacramento dealer's frame on it (Capitol). Sadly, the frame broke to pieces when I attempted to remove it from the plate. So, now it's glued with silicone to the front reflectorized plate.

Home of the famous Mr. Ed!
                    Lotsa Larks!
                    K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Studebaker!
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                    Ron Smith
                    Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Gee, I'm glad I lied to the DMV and told them my plates got lost. Now, I can put the original plates on Ed. They demanded them and I refused when he was registered. It was a devil of a problem to get plates off that had been on the truck for over forty years. The back plate still had the Sacramento dealer's frame on it (Capitol). Sadly, the frame broke to pieces when I attempted to remove it from the plate. So, now it's glued with silicone to the front reflectorized plate.

Lotsa Larks!
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Lewiston, CA?
                      Ron Smith
                      Where the heck is Fawn Lodge, CA?

Comment

Lucky me!! I bought the plates last week for $100.00, not knowing there was a prior problem with using them to register my 63 Hawk. They are like brand new and only on the original car from 63 to 66 (see sticker). Then Dick S. leaves this forum thread saying now they can be used, HOORAY!! When is section 5004.1 active ??
                        Happy Camper.
                        Dick Curtis

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                        Santa Barbara
                        CA

Comment

Lucky me!! I bought the plates last week for $100.00, not knowing there was a prior problem with using them to register my 63 Hawk. They are like brand new and only on the original car from 63 to 66 (see sticker). Then Dick S. leaves this forum thread saying now they can be used, HOORAY!! When is section 5004.1 active ??
                          Happy Camper.
                          Dick Curtis

The 1950 Champion Starlight
                          Santa Barbara
                          CA

Comment

$100.00? Here in Virginia you can typically get good driver quality YOM plates for $40-$50. If Studelark signs on, he can tell you about the 10,000 NOS Virginia plates that he hauled to Florida for a friend of his. []

Comment

$100.00? Here in Virginia you can typically get good driver quality YOM plates for $40-$50. If Studelark signs on, he can tell you about the 10,000 NOS Virginia plates that he hauled to Florida for a friend of his. []

Comment

Working...
                              X