Hawk Tachometer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hawk Tachometer

Any '56 Hawk type tachometers out there for sale? Whatever I wind up with will be converted to electric...

Check the Stewart Warner website. I think they have the 6000 and 8000 rpm tachometers that use modern innards.

Bob Miles
    Tucson AZ

Comment

6HK71400 - Would the faces be identicel to the Hawk faces?...

Comment

When I was on the web site months ago, the faces looked identical to what I am looking to replace on my Speedster for the 8,000 rpm tachometer. I believe the 56 models including Sky and Golden Hawk were 6,000 rpm tachometers. The face I saw on the website did not have the SW in a block at the bottom of the gauge; I have seen other gauges with that but the gauge was plain on the Studebaker models.

I was looking just to see what is out there. It will still be some time before I get to the gauges on "Lazarus".

Hope this helps with your project. It is funny that the Speedster had the 8,000 rpm tachometer. The most I ever got my to rev to was 4,800 rpm back in 1968. It was on a dark desert highway, cool wind in my hair, but I was not heading to Hotel California.

Bob Miles
        Tucson AZ
        1955 Speedster "Lazarus"

Comment

Here's one
          Bez Auto Alchemy
          573-318-8948
          http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

You might look at a Teleflex 82288P tachometer. It is very similar to the original Hawk tach and MUCH cheaper than buying the original tach and sender (very rare) or buying the tach and having it converted to electrical operation. (The Stewart Warner tachometer is actually a mechanically driven tachometer with a synchronous motor instead of a drive cable. The motor gets signals from a sending unit that fits between the distributor body and distributor cap.) I have no affiliation with the Telefax tachometer; I used on in my 1959 Silver Hawk and liked it.

Comment

GINETTAG12P - Is the Teleflex 82288P tachometer a "bolt in", or do any modifications of any kind need to be made?...

Comment

No modifications are required to install the tach. You need to set the tach to eight cylinder operation and then slide it into your dash. It fits just like the factory tach.

Comment

GINETTAG12P - Thanks...I ordered one...

Comment

Is this the correct tach for a 63 R2 Hawk? If not, how is it wired?
                    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                      Any '56 Hawk type tachometers out there for sale? Whatever I wind up with will be converted to electric...

Here's another.

JS
                      I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

#11 still needs a sending unit!- Jim

Comment

[QUOTE=GinettaG12P;957135]You might look at a Teleflex 82288P tachometer. It is very similar to the original Hawk tach and MUCH cheaper than buying the original tach and sender (very rare) or buying the tach and having it converted to electrical operation.

Where do you find information about them. I typed in Teleflex.com and got a medical supply company.5

Bob Miles
                          Tucson AZ
                          1955 Speedster "Lazarus"

Comment

6HK71400 - Type this into Google, http://www.marineengineparts.com/cat...8P+tachometer+ and it will come up. Teleflex no longer makes this model Tach. However, a number of Marine Supply places still have them in Stock. I got mine here...it was the cheapest...

Comment

BTW...that's a bad photo of the face of the tach on the MEP web site. The face is, in fact, plain black, NOT textured as their photo shows...

Comment

Working...
                              X