Dick Quinn says he was there....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dick Quinn says he was there....

...so is that him driving the Kool Kustom Purple People Eater Olds convertible at 1:52?

1950s-1960s Drag Racing Filmed by R. Markl with silent 8-mm movie camera.

There might be some other Studes in this crude assortment of old clips, but at least I saw one at 3:28. Anybody else see any other Studebakers? Hopefully you will.

Also here is good period video of the original, wild Ramchargers Plymouth business coupe at 3:38.

(Good stuff, but I think they dubbed miscellaneous sound on top of a silent video, since there seems to be no correlation between sound and action. You can appreciate it just as much if you mute your sound while watching, so as not to get confused or be confounded.) BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Nice!
    Wonder where they recorded the sound effects?

Kinda miss matched, but it reminds me of going to the drags with my dad when I was little.
    If I remember correctly he had a 58 Del Ray.

Dean.

Comment

Yep, I was at the '59 Nationals in Detroit. Remember it well. Top eliminator was Lincoln powered (of all things). Of course the Ramchargers and their '49 Plymouth was also memorable sitting high and with the bazooka style exhaust headers. Also remember the facility completely overwhelmed by the number of spectators. Drinking fountain consisted of one hose that spewed out sulfur water. The entire place reeked of rotten eggs! Thanks for posting that, brings back lots of memories
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

...........................................................................

I think he was here also - look - look -bottom left .....

...........................................................................

Comment

Thanks for posting. Most enjoyable, especially if you were there in the day. I participated in the mid to late 60's and thought I was getting old, but when I started the Xmas Tree and win lights were the norm. Sure is some neat old iron there and thanks again for posting.
          Bob
          Bob
          Welland Ontario
          60 Lark Convertible
          64 Daytona
          sigpic
          "They were meant to be driven ... so keep on cruizin"

Comment

Thanks for posting this Bob. The guy in the back seat of that much chopped '53 coupe was having a rough ride. Interesting to see somebody drag racing what looks to be a Mercedes Gullwing. I really enjoyed watching this.
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

'Glad everyone is enjoying this.

Like I said, don't try to justify or correlate the sound with the video: I'll bet all these videos are silent, not "talkies."

Who knows where the sound came from or how it was dubbed in. BP
              We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Thanks for the memories! Check out the lowboy with the drivers head under the rear window. Also the one import-A Mercedes.
                Bill

Comment

Working...
                X