Avanti Repaint

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Avanti Repaint

I know this has come up many times, but what are the latest thoughts on the correct turquoise, manufacturer and color, for repainting a 1964 Avanti as close to original as possible. Any thoughts on trying to "dull it down" so it does not look like new paint on a vintage car?

Thanks

I had the paint on the #1 R3 spectrum analyzed at the paint store. This was after I had them mix an ounce to test for correct color from their formula. They only listed the 63 formula, which was of course way off. Even after they came up with a formula from the digital analyzer, it too had some adjusting to make it look right.
    I had them leave the white out of the formula, and substitute fine metallic for the coarser they had .
    It turned out to be a Chrysler match but with the changes I specified.
    Even if Someone gave you the number for the color, they couldn't mix it from it. You must have the mix proportions of the toners that actually match to the correct color.
    I don't have the can, but the owner may still have it. I will be at his place this week to run in the R3 for the first time in many many years. I'll ask if he still has the paint can for the mixing label with the toner formulas.
    Bez Auto Alchemy
    573-318-8948
    http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Bez
      Thanks for all the work you are doing on 5089.
      I had always hoped to do that car myself but old age caught up with me.
      The new owner Randy is doing the car justice and I am happy that I sold it to him.
      Any parts that you will still need to complete the car and I have it in stock ,I will send to you or Randy.
      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I restored my Avanti between 1985 -90. It was painted in Dupont turquoise lacquer, we might have a gallon of paint left. When we painted the car we bought several gallons and mixed all in a large pail to assure the color. I never finished the car and it is sitting in storage at this time. The attached photo is from last summer, it is difficult from a photo to say it is the right color, but we tried our best. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5340.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.9 KB
ID:	1701530Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-08-31 15.56.57.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	1701531

Bob Caser
        mrbobinc

Comment

Just curious, but why would you want a new paint job to look old? The cars didn't look old when they were new. Having painted cars for many years, there is no way to match warn, faded paint. Use a single stage paint and it will not have the depth of doing a base coat/clear coat, but it will still shine like new paint.
          sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
          1950 Champion Convertible
          1950 Champion 4Dr
          1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
          1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Originally posted by MARC212 View Post
            I know this has come up many times, but what are the latest thoughts on the correct turquoise, manufacturer and color, for repainting a 1964 Avanti as close to original as possible. Any thoughts on trying to "dull it down" so it does not look like new paint on a vintage car?

Thanks
            I wouldn't call it dulled down, but I would paint it with lacquer, as on it originally, and not with base coat/clear coat that will make it look like a new car finish.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Caser View Post
              I restored my Avanti between 1985 -90. It was painted in Dupont turquoise lacquer, we might have a gallon of paint left. When we painted the car we bought several gallons and mixed all in a large pail to assure the color. I never finished the car and it is sitting in storage at this time. The attached photo is from last summer, it is difficult from a photo to say it is the right color, but we tried our best. [ATTACH=CONFIG]49418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49419[/ATTACH]

Bob Caser
              Beautiful!...It's really hard to beat the look of rubbed lacquer paint, it's what Studebaker used, and it's the ONLY paint type I'd use on a 'show' Studebaker Avanti!

Comment

Except that lacquer is illegal in many larger cities. As is a non hvlp paint gun . 50K dollar fine to have it in your tool box. Such is the rules a professional has to follow. I had to have an EPA tracking number for all the paint I used, and keep track of the unused waste, for proper disposal. (in Denver Colo.)
                The amature can get away with it
                Bez Auto Alchemy
                573-318-8948

Comment

Bob
                  I just sent you a pm.

Comment

I don't see anything amateurish about the paint work done to the Avanti in post # 4.

Comment

I restored my Avanti between 1985 -90. It was painted in Dupont turquoise lacquer, we might have a gallon of paint left. When we painted the car we bought several gallons and mixed all in a large pail to assure the color. I never finished the car and it is sitting in storage at this time. The attached photo is from last summer, it is difficult from a photo to say it is the right color, but we tried our best. [ATTACH=CONFIG]49418[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49419[/ATTACH]

Bob Caser
                      In storage for 25 years????
                      If I had a car that nice, I couldn't stand not having it out and about. Too bad real life gets in the way at times though.

Comment

You are correct , life does get in the way. Twenty plus years ago in my garage, Gary Johnson (Avanti Northwest) installed the interior and windows under the watchful eyes of Tom Kellogg sitting on a five gallon solvent can. Tom took over doing this car with my paint guy with the intentions of producing a Pebble Beach show car. With the help of Jon Myer , Ed Reynolds, John Metzger, and others supplying NOS parts they achieved it.
                        Ed supplied a complete NOS interior for the sum of $1,000, his overhead was less than it is at the present time, as he was operating out of his home garage at the time. I have owned this car since new so there have been many years of enjoyment.Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2370.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1701553Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5332.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1701554
                        mrbobinc

Comment

You are correct , life does get in the way. Twenty plus years ago in my garage, Gary Johnson (Avanti Northwest) installed the interior and windows under the watchful eyes of Tom Kellogg sitting on a five gallon solvent can. Tom took over doing this car with my paint guy with the intentions of producing a Pebble Beach show car. With the help of Jon Myer , Ed Reynolds, John Metzger, and others supplying NOS parts they achieved it.
                          Ed supplied a complete NOS interior for the sum of $1,000, his overhead was less than it is at the present time, as he was operating out of his home garage at the time. I have owned this car since new so there have been many years of enjoyment.[ATTACH=CONFIG]49469[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]49470[/ATTACH]
                          I really like that turquoise interior..I think the 'pros' on this forum could learn something from this car!!

Comment

Originally posted by SN-60 View Post
                            I don't see anything amateurish about the paint work done to the Avanti in post # 4.
                            Your words, not mine. My dictionary says a professional is one who gets paid for services. Amateur in the club usually describes a hobbiest doing it themselves. Obviously this one was professionally done, as stated in later posts. I was merely pointing out the hurdles one has to go through to use lacquer in todays regulations.
                            Bez Auto Alchemy
                            573-318-8948

Comment

Originally posted by bezhawk View Post
                              Your words, not mine. My dictionary says a professional is one who gets paid for services. Amateur in the club usually describes a hobbiest doing it themselves. Obviously this one was professionally done, as stated in later posts. I was merely pointing out the hurdles one has to go through to use lacquer in todays regulations.

You are correct, top people in their field touched this car. From what I photos I have seen of your work Brad,you fit in this field.
                              Please understand this was not a CASO project but at the time, it was what I chose to do with my car. This car was a very nice car when it was taken apart for restoration. Doing a car with the materials used would be very hard to do if not impossible today.
                              mrbobinc

Comment

Working...
                              X