No announcement yet.

Anybody know more about this car? Winner of the first Press On Regardles Rally

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody know more about this car? Winner of the first Press On Regardles Rally

I am familiar with the Press on Regardless Rally from my sports car days, but I never knew about this.

Joe Roberts
    '61 R1 Champ
    '65 Cruiser
    Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Never heard of it! But I sure do like that car.
    Neil Thornton

Comment

It looks like a stretched here and shortened there, '49 Commander Roadster, definitely different.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Isn't that the "Vince Gardner Special"? He was a gifted man. He also designed the "fully competitive" face-lift on the '56 sedans and wagons at a VERY low price for the corporation.

I saw it at the '92 zone meet in South Bend. Don't know who owns it now, but they are very lucky!
        Roger Hill

60 Lark Vlll, hardtop, black/red, Power Kit, 3 spd. - "Juliette"
        61 Champ Deluxe, 6, black/red, o/d, long box. - "Jeri"
        Junior Wagon - "Junior"

"In the end, dear undertaker,
        Ride me in a Studebaker"

Comment

Originally posted by STEWDI View Post
          Isn't that the "Vince Gardner Special"? He was a gifted man. He also designed the "fully competitive" face-lift on the '56 sedans and wagons at a VERY low price for the corporation.

I saw it at the '92 zone meet in South Bend. Don't know who owns it now, but they are very lucky!
          The picture was taken at a much later date than 1949. It looks like the Special. The Vince Gardner Special was based on a 47 Stude.
          South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Has similarities to this one too,

64 GT Hawk (K7)
            1970 Avanti (R3)

Comment

Hi

It's the Vince Gardner Special built by him based on a Champion when he was in Loewy's design group at the time. There is a good detailed article in a back issue of Turning Wheels on its creation. This photo was taken before its recent restoration. It was shown at the Pebble Beach Concours in 2012.

Steve

Comment

This is an other Vince Gardner roadster.
                One was restored by Roxas in Bridgeview Illinois and shown at Amelia Island.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

More here: http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...w-even-existed

Craig

Comment

Working...
                  X