General Questions on a 1940 Champion Coupe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• General Questions on a 1940 Champion Coupe

I am looking at a 1940 champion Coupe this week . I was wondering if there is any specific Issue and items I should look at on the car to note it condition. (for example: a specific issue with motor to look for or certain rot areas on the chassis, Electrical issues etc.. ) Also any idea of a price range I should be looking at . I know condition is a factor and I would say the car seems to be a "8", with relative good paint and redone interior. I am new to Studebakers and the forum having been a model A Ford Guy. Always wanted a Studebaker as my dad and grandfather were Studebaker guys. I would appreciate any advise and comments you could provide.

Regards

DDEG

There were no inherent problems with the '40 Champion. I bought my 1st in Sept 1962 and have owned at least a half dozen since, still have one (below). Most common place for rust was in the dog legs and trunk floor. Engine and drive train very reliable but hey its a 75 years old so lots of things can happen in that time! Mechanical parts easy to find. Be sure to look to see if it has an overdrive. You will need that if you plan to drive 50-55 mph comfortably. Pictures would help.

Click image for larger version

Name:	039 copy2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	1701440
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

Mine had rust issues on the rocker panels and rear of the trunk. Champion 6 engines are rock solid, you just about can't beat their reliability.
      Chris Dresbach

Comment

Working...
      X