Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone familiar with this 1955 E38 in NJ ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone familiar with this 1955 E38 in NJ ?

Hello again, truck-interested folks. Question for any/all NJ or Mid-Atlantic members: is anyone familiar with the 1955 E38 ramp truck that I'm posting a couple of photos about ? It's been on eBay a few times in the past, but not real recently and not there now. It looks nice in photos, and it's said to have a 289 V8 in it (not original, right ?) but at $9500 it seemed a little pricey, and the fixed ramp arrangement in the back looks kind of cumbersome (especially for transporting it to a buyer), but it nevertheless holds my interest. Maybe I'm just suffering from Studebaker truck withdrawal (hence my other recent post about Al Sandeen's former M15 dump truck), but I find that I can't just look away It's said to be in the Belleville NJ area if that's any help. I'm just soliciting objective opinions about it if anyone knows it or knows of it. Thanks.

Mike A. in Gaithersburg MD

Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude 1955 E38 pik09.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	166.4 KB
ID:	1748966Click image for larger version

Name:	Stude 1955 E38 pik11.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	1748967
    Mike Auldridge
    Gaithersburg, MD
    301-651-4346
    SDC Life Member since 1976
    1948 M16
    1961 Lark VIII convertible (with minor mods)

I liked that truck myself. Like you, I was not very enamored with the hauler ramp. I'm thinking the truck did not meet reserve on ebay. Like a lot of listings, that might have been a test run to see what kind of bid run to expect. I believe some folks do this to get a feeling for value and later sell off line.

The plus side of this vehicle, is that it is a commercial grade truck. In my opinion, commercial grade trucks should be considered in terms of the cab and chassis. Beds, boxes, ramps, and tanks, are always removable. Even the frames, within limits, are subject to being shortened or lengthened. For commercial grade trucks, factory original, is not so "sacred" as cars and pickups. If I were to have enough "disposable" funds to buy this truck, I would only consider the cab and chassis in what I was willing to spend. That cumbersome ramp would be replaced by either a dove tailed bed, or a functioning roll-back and the frame modified appropriately.

An interesting statistic, would be to see how many commercial grade trucks are modified by truck outfitters before they ever complete the registration process, or are delivered to the purchaser.
    John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

That IS a really sweet Cab and Chassis, but the weird fixed steep ramps on a short W/B Truck would be a turnoff for me.

It could however be made into a Dovetail Flatbed or even the more expensive option a real Rollback.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Mike-
        Like you, I read those ebay ads with interest, though I have not seen the truck in person. The truck really looked nice, though I do remember a couple of "incorrect" things on it that wouldn't bother most people. You're right, the E38 came with a 259, so the 289 is a transplant. And like both John and you, I thought the ramps were pretty impractical for most users.

But if you want a big Stude truck, I have a pretty nice 4E40 flatbed dump that I've thinking of parting with, and Gary Hearn has several for sale in southern Virginia.

Edit: just checked ebay. The E38 sold for $8500. That's a good price for a big Stude truck.
        Skip Lackie

Comment

Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
          Mike-

Edit: just checked ebay. The E38 sold for $8500. That's a good price for a big Stude truck.
          Well, I was wrong about it, "not selling." I'll take the fact that it "did" sell at that price as a positive sign that the truck was as good as the pictures depicted.

Keep searching Mike, as you can see, they're out there.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

I owned this truck back in the 80's. It had the ramp bed on it when I bought it. We painted it at my shop it when I sold it to a fellow in NJ, though I do not think that purchaser is the seller now.
            That's how familiar I am with it.
            JS
            I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Originally posted by LarkTruck View Post
              I owned this truck back in the 80's. It had the ramp bed on it when I bought it. We painted it at my shop it when I sold it to a fellow in NJ, though I do not think that purchaser is the seller now.
              That's how familiar I am with it.
              JS
              Great for a first hand report! Did you use the truck? If so, how did it perform and ride with a load? Was the 289 in it when you owned it?
              John Clary
              Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

Thanks for the feedback and the info, Skip. Sure, I'd like to chat about the 4E40, and perhaps get info about what Gary Hearn has available. One plus between you and me: if you're still in the DC area as I remember you, then we're actually close enough to show/see the truck in person -- a big plus over buying something sight unseen and long-distance.

Mike Auldridge

P.S. I had my newest acquisition at the Rockville Car Show this past year but didn't see you there. Out of Fredericksburg VA I bought a 1961 Lark VIII convertible that has been upgraded to R4 running gear (motor built by, and T-10 4-speed provided by, Jon and Mike Myer in Ohio). Not totally perfect, and not factory accurate, but a sweet ride nonetheless.
                Mike Auldridge
                Gaithersburg, MD
                301-651-4346
                1948 M16

Comment

Wow, I don't believe it, FINALLY someone actually got the Jon Myer Family name correct! Everyone seems to always want to call them Myers.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I agree that those ramps are a turn off. The truck would have looked better set up with a boom and wheel dolly.

Comment

I have a nice 3E28. If you're looking for a nice car hauler.

1957 frame off restoration. All original heavy duty 289, 5 speed overdrive, factory power steering. Engine totally rebuilt with about 1500 miles on it. Tilt hydraulic bed with heavy duty Warn winch.
                      Has pockets built into the bed in case you want to add stake sides. 24" deep storage boxes on both sides.

Larry Y
                      North Wales, PA

Comment

Wonder how sqirrely it would get with a vehicle on the back... Would look pretty cool with a short flat bed on it.

Comment

Originally posted by migral23 View Post
                          Thanks for the feedback and the info, Skip. Sure, I'd like to chat about the 4E40, and perhaps get info about what Gary Hearn has available. One plus between you and me: if you're still in the DC area as I remember you, then we're actually close enough to show/see the truck in person -- a big plus over buying something sight unseen and long-distance.

Mike Auldridge
                          Mike-
                          The truck is in Thurmont. Drop me a line at lackie at erols dot com.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

Some of mine...

I also have a '64 Bock trailer toter and a '55 E-38, all are located 30 miles west of Richmond, Va.
                            Last edited by Guido; 10-31-2015, 08:12 AM.

Comment

Nice ones ! I like them all, really, because I like trucks The M-series ones have always been favorites, and the firetruck is really cool. The short wheelbase stakebed is interesting: is it factory (or NAPCO) 4WD, and what year/model/wheelbase is it ? And the front-on photo of the light blue and white one is nice: what is it, and what's on its back? With what looks like the front part of a dump bed (based on what's arching above its roof) but possibly non-connected side pieces, I really couldn't tell. Thanks.

Mike Auldridge in MD
                              Mike Auldridge
                              Gaithersburg, MD
                              301-651-4346
                              1948 M16

Comment

Working...
                              X