Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Studebaker National Museum celebrates 10th anniversary with party (photos)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker National Museum celebrates 10th anniversary with party (photos)

The Studebaker National Museum 10th anniversary get-together was held on Oct-27, 2015. This was held at the museum immediately following the monthly board meeting. A few statistics re the museum:

It is one of only three accredited auto museums in the U.S. (since 2007). The others being the Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg and the Henry Ford.

In 2014 the museum averaged approx. 3000 visitors per month.

In that same year visitors came from 47 states and 16 countries.

The museum collection consists of 37 vehicles that were part of the original Studebaker Corporation museum. Since the creation of the Studebaker National Museum Inc. another 90+ vehicles have been added. Most of these from members of the SDC and ASC.

The museum has 7 full time employees and close to 50 volunteers.

The museum has the largest collection of Presidential carriages in the U.S. (Lincoln, Harrison, Grant, McKinley).

With vehicles ranging from the 1830s (Conestoga wagon) to the 1960s (last Canadian car) the museum covers a wider range and variety of vehicles that any other transportation museum in the country.

The city of South Bend financed the building of the museum and supports it with a monthly monetary contribution and is fully supportive of the institution. The museum brings more tourists to the city that any other entity except Notre Dame.

The museum archives preserves over 100 years of the Studebaker corporate records and consists of several tons of material covering 5000 linear feet of shelf space. It is housed in a separate building directly south of the museum. The full time archivist is a member of the SDC and is a regular contributor to Turning Wheels.

One of the highlights of the event was the unveiling of the original color painting of the Studebaker Blacksmith Shop originally executed in the late 1800s. It was only recently donated to the museum by one of Studebaker's last executives Ed Dunbar who unfortunately passed away only a few weeks previous. Immediate members of his family were present to see the painting that had received a cleaning by a professional conservator.

Besides myself previous board member and current life trustee (and past SDC) President Stu Chapman was in attendance at the event.

Click image for larger version

Name:	158.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.7 KB
ID:	1748959Click image for larger version

Name:	154 copy.jpg
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	1748960Click image for larger version

Name:	128 copy.jpg
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	1748961Click image for larger version

Name:	126.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1748962Click image for larger version

Name:	166 copy.jpg
Size:	99.1 KB
ID:	1748963Click image for larger version

Name:	214 copy.jpg
Size:	147.5 KB
ID:	1748964Click image for larger version

Name:	159 copy.jpg
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	1748965
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Good stuff!
    The only difference between death and taxes is that death does not grow worse every time Congress convenes. - Will Rogers

Comment

Great report, Dick; encouraging. Thanks.

It is so good to see South Bend again embrace Studebaker so enthusiastically in my lifetime.

(I had no idea there were that many members on The Board of Directors! How do you ever get anything done? ) BP
      We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

I wonder if the museum will offer prints of the painting at some point. A nice pastoral scene regardless of it's historic importance. I'd buy one.

Comment

Originally posted by georgeE View Post
          I wonder if the museum will offer prints of the painting at some point. A nice pastoral scene regardless of it's historic importance. I'd buy one.
          Actually, Studebaker Corporation made prints of this painting available several years ago and there are some still out there. I believe there are a few Forum members who may have some for sale. These framed prints are about half size.

Stu Chapman
          Last edited by Stu Chapman; 10-30-2015, 09:25 AM.

Comment

we went to the opening 10 years sure goes by fast , seems like just a couple of years a go !
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

"IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Thanks for posting
              Milt

1947 Champion (owned since 1967)
              1961 Hawk 4-speed
              1967 Avanti
              1961 Lark 2 door
              1988 Avanti Convertible

Member of SDC since 1973

Comment

I can't believe that it's 10 years since the new SNM opened its doors. My wife and I visited the site a number of times during the last two National Meets in South Bend.'
                It truly is a world class museum and I'm proud to be a part of it.
                Rog
                '59 Lark VI Regal Hardtop
                Smithtown,NY
                Recording Secretary, Long Island Studebaker Club

Comment

Originally posted by 2R5 View Post
                  we went to the opening 10 years sure goes by fast , seems like just a couple of years a go !
                  And I remember you being there while we were still moving cars in from the old Freeman-Spicer building.

Stu Chapman

Comment

Originally posted by Stu Chapman View Post
                    And I remember you being there while we were still moving cars in from the old Freeman-Spicer building.

Stu Chapman
                    I drove in with my friend Ed Davies for the opening dinner at the new building. Time sure has flown.
                    Bill Pressler
                    Kent, OH
                    (formerly Greenville, PA)
                    Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
                    Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
                    1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
                    1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
                    All are in Australia now

Comment

After 'bouncing around' for awhile, aren't we all lucky the Studebaker collection now resides in such a beautiful and 'dedicated' home!

Comment

The Studebaker National Museum is truly one of South Bend's treasures. Thank you to everyone that made this museum happen and much gratitude for those who toil to keep the museum open and available to the public. I was fortunate enough to visit a week ago 10/24. I never fail to see something new and interesting each time I visit.
                        sigpic[SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...
                        X