Gauges and speedometers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical: Gauges and speedometers

Will the gauge cluster and speedometer from 1959 to 1963 Larks fit the holes for these in a 1951 Commander Starlight Coupe?

Ron Acton

No! What dilemma are you facing?
    Brad Johnson,
    SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
    Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
    '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
    '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

There is no chance of a '59-'60 Lark Cluster fitting, but the '61 to '66's are closer, maybe if you don't care about correct and want a 12 Volt conversion you could make an adapter Ring to fit them.

Keep in mind that '61 and '62's have Idiot lights for Gen. and Oil Pressure, the '63 to '66's have all 4 Gauges.

It would be possible to replace these using Original Type with just a little searching here and other places, if you are keeping the 6 volt Positive Ground system.

Ron, did you ever figure out what Engine you had, there was no response from you over here:

http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...434#post951434

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wht 64 Daytona Wagonaire Bells9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	1701259 A 1964 Daytona Wagonaire dash.

Last edited by StudeRich; 10-29-2015, 07:27 PM.
      StudeRich
      Second Generation Stude Driver,
      Proud '54 Starliner Owner
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Gauges and engine

The 1951 Commander I bought had been converted to 12 volt. Rather than deal with resistors etc I would rather obtain Studebaker gauges that fit in the panel. Ideally without modification, with will do if necessary.

The engine is a 224 truck engine (E369). I have been told that if ther is no prefix to the E then this is a replacement engine. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Ron Acton

Comment

Originally posted by ronta View Post

The engine is a 224 truck engine (E369). I have been told that if ther is no prefix to the E then this is a replacement engine. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Ron Acton
          I guess the answer is "maybe". The original truck 224 engines came with engine serial numbers with a 2E prefix. Since some states used engine numbers for registration purposes, dealers installing a replacement engine were supposed to stamp the old serial number on the new engine. However, many did not, and probably some did an incomplete job. You may have such an engine. Studebaker literature lists no Studebaker V8 engines with a serial number with a simple E prefix.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Wher can I obtain a NOS 4 cluster gauge (12) volts with a black or green face?

Comment

Look at Summit Racing for their Vintage line of gauges (Stewart Warner I think). They may have what you want, but you may be able to buy a couple parts cars for the difference.
              Dis-Use on a Car is Worse Than Mis-Use...
              1959 Studebaker Lark VIII 2DHTP

Comment

Does anyone have a 1963 to1966 4 gauge cluster with black or green face?

Comment

Working...
                X