Steering Box Upgrade?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering: Steering Box Upgrade?

I am looking for any information on replacing my 1951 starlight "Ross" steering box with a later model Saginaw box. Any information? Greatly appreciate it.

The change has been done on several '53 and Later C & K Models to a Manual Saginaw Recirculating Ball, '61-'66 Lark Type Steering Gear, but I never heard of any '47-'52 model swaps.

Maybe you are thinking of a '51 Ross (Champion) Box to a '51 Manual Saginaw (Commander) Box?
    With the right Jacket, Wheel, Pitman Arm, Reach Rod etc. either COULD be done.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

You might check the gear ratio. The V-8's sometimes have a slower ratio than the 6's to ease steering effort.
      RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
      4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
      5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Steering conversion

Originally posted by StudeRich View Post
        The change has been done on several '53 and Later C & K Models to a Manual Saginaw Recirculating Ball, '61-'66 Lark Type Steering Gear, but I never heard of any '47-'52 model swaps.

Maybe you are thinking of a '51 Ross (Champion) Box to a '51 Manual Saginaw (Commander) Box?
        With the right Jacket, Wheel, Pitman Arm, Reach Rod etc. either COULD be done.
        Thanks for the info...Any ideas where to find a 61-66 Lark Saginaw steering box or since I am in the process and not using a original steering column is there an even later and greater Saginaw box to use?
        Of course bolt in is the best but I don't mind making up conversion components if required.....Thanks again

Comment

Steering upgrade

Originally posted by RadioRoy View Post
          You might check the gear ratio. The V-8's sometimes have a slower ratio than the 6's to ease steering effort.
          Good point and thanks..

Comment

Working...
          X