Geography Pop Quiz w/ Studebaker Prize

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Geography Pop Quiz w/ Studebaker Prize

I put this here because there is a Studebaker prize involved. That is the Studebaker-specific element here, not the Pop Quiz question.

Finding an error in the current (December 2015; 1956 Ford Sunliner on the cover) Hemmings Classic Car has now stumped two of my better friends whom I consider excellent automotive trivia authorities. If it has privately stumped those two guys, I wonder if any forum members will notice it.

The question: What geographical error is within the text of the 1952-1962 Ford Sunliner article on Pages 22-27 of the December 2015 Hemmings Classic Car?

You don't have to know anything about Fords to answer the question, but you would need to have been paying attention in fifth grade geography. (Forum members outside the United States are welcome to participate, of course, although Bill Pressler is asked to recuse himself.)

The first person to post the correct answer here wins an NOS, uncirculated 1964 Studebaker small showroom brochure #PD-64-11:

Happy hunting! BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Pretty good at geography but doomed to fail without a copy of the article...

Comment

My copy is in my school bus. I'll be checking this afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
        Pretty good at geography but doomed to fail without a copy of the article...
        Forgot to mention: That issue is now on newsstands for single-copy sales and will be at least another three weeks.

Perhaps a library may subscribe. If so, they will have that copy displayed now.

As I said, it has a tangerine and white 1956 Ford Sunliner on the cover (beautiful car, BTW.) BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

The only thing "geographical" I saw mentioned in the story was folks in the "northern climates" were able to get heaters... (3rd paragraph under 1962) Nothing wrong with that, is there?
          Duane Miller

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Mute View Post
            The only thing "geographical" I saw mentioned in the story was folks in the "northern climates" were able to get heaters... (3rd paragraph under 1962) Nothing wrong with that, is there? Duane Miller
            That's not it, Duane, although you hit on what might be another discrepancy. It is implied that a heater/defroster was standard equipment on full-size Fords beginning in 1962, but I'm not so sure of that. I have been unable to confirm that being so, and would bet against it. BP

Comment

BTW: I'll let this quiz run through Saturday evening, October 31.

If no one has claimed the prize with the correct answer by then, I'll post the answer Sunday, November 1.

(I assure you, it is not trivia or nit-picking, either; it is a legitimate error of fact. I might have even made it myself, but for some reason it jumped out at me when I was reading the article, so maybe I would have caught myself before submitting it.) BP

Comment

"Fairlane" is 2 words when referring to Henry Ford's Fair Lane Mansion.
                Cliff
                54 Commander Coupe driver
                53 Commander Hardtop project
                SE Washington State

Comment

In 1958 there were only 48 states. See second paragraph, right side column, page 25. Oops.

Comment

Gary,
                    I think you nailed it. Alaska became a State on January 3, 1959 and Hawaii joined it on August 21, 1959.
                    Ed Sallia
                    Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Is it on page 27, under the heading of "1962", where it mentions drivers in northern climates could extend the driving season, or drive year round, because all of the cars now had heaters and defrosters as standard equipment. Geographically, the whole country is in a northern climate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Ensley View Post
                        Is it on page 27, under the heading of "1962", where it mentions drivers in northern climates could extend the driving season, or drive year round, because all of the cars now had heaters and defrosters as standard equipment. Geographically, the whole country is in a northern climate.
                        Sam, see post #6.
                        Ed Sallia
                        Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Originally posted by garyw View Post
                          In 1958 there were only 48 states. See second paragraph, right side column, page 25. Oops.
                          BINGO, Gary; you got it.

There couldn't be a "50-state-standard" for quad headlights in the fall of 1957, when the 1958 Fords were introduced. 1958 Fords were used cars by the time the United States of America was comprised of 50 states.

Is your address still on Dairyland Road, as in the current SDC Membership Roster? Please confirm and the small brochure will go out to you tomorrow.

'Good eye; 'good thinking. BP

Comment

Yup. Still on Dairyland Road. Thanks. Looking forward to getting the prize!
                            Enjoyed the quiz, too. Glad you put it out there.

Comment

Originally posted by garyw View Post
                              Yup. Still on Dairyland Road. Thanks. Looking forward to getting the prize!
                              Enjoyed the quiz, too. Glad you put it out there.
                              You got it, Gary; the envelope is filled, addressed, and stamped...sitting in the "out" box as I type this.

Thanks for participating. BP

Comment

Working...
                              X