Studebaker Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Studebaker Manuals

What gives me the most bang-for-the-buck, paper Manuals, or CD Manuals? Still trying to locate an Owners Manual that I won't have to take a mortgage out on the house, to pay for...

How do you plan to use it? I find a paper manual is more useful, as I can flip back and forth from section to section right in the garage. For the CD version to be most useful, you have to have a computer (and maybe a printer) in the garage with you. And you may not want to soil your computer keyboard with greasy fingers . . . . .
    Skip Lackie

Comment

Good points and counter points

Comment

I found a nice clean original owner's manual for my 1950 Champion on ebay for only $10. I always prefer a paper copy for any manuals on my cars.

Comment

Paper,Paper,Paper. You will always need or want to make notes as you work on these projects. I seem to be able to find shortcuts and want to make note of them on the subject page I used for future reference. Hard to do on a video.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
            What gives me the most bang-for-the-buck, paper Manuals, or CD Manuals? Still trying to locate an Owners Manual that I won't have to take a mortgage out on the house, to pay for...
            I prefer paper manuals. For shop and parts books, I prefer originals to reprints because they are sharper print. Both of these preferences may just reflect my age.
            SI has nice reprint 1956 owner's manual for $30. If this requires a mortgage, you are in the wrong hobby.
            SI also has all of the manuals individually or as a set (shop, chassis, body, owner's) for $145 as a set.
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
              I prefer paper manuals. For shop and parts books, I prefer originals to reprints because they are sharper print. Both of these preferences may just reflect my age.
              Some of my manuals are reprints and the quality is not as good as my originals. However, I have had my books for over 40 years and I would expect the quality to be better now. Anybody look at a recent example?
              "In the heart of Arkansas."
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

I have both. They are in my "office" here at home. Many times were there is a question raised in the forum I'm able to go to the paper copies & find the answer but when I'm working on one of my projects I print out what's needed from the cd. I'd hate to get my paper editions soiled by greasy fingers. Once that's done it's done & it cant be removed. If your on a tight budget then get the cd version. Use it until a paper copy comes at a price you like.
                59 Lark wagon, now V-8, H.D. auto!
                60 Lark convertible V-8 auto
                61 Champ 1/2 ton 4 speed
                62 Champ 3/4 ton 5 speed o/drive
                62 Champ 3/4 ton auto
                62 Daytona convertible V-8 4 speed & 62 Cruiser, auto.
                63 G.T. Hawk R-2,4 speed
                63 Avanti (2) R-1 auto
                64 Zip Van
                66 Daytona Sport Sedan(327)V-8 4 speed
                66 Cruiser V-8 auto

Comment

The "Owner's Manual" does little good on a CD, unless you print a copy from the CD. That manual is ususlly in the glovebox and, as TWChamp indicated, can usually be found on auction sites or swap meets for reasonable. The Body and Chassis Catalogs and "Shop Manual", on the other hand, can get quite expensive in print. You can always find the page on the CD you want and print just that when needed or to supply to some other shop. Either way is a personal preference. I'm not incredibly fluent in reading CD-ROMS and think I can look things up quicker in the printed manual, assuming it is within reach.
                  Brad Johnson,
                  SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
                  Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
                  '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
                  '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Well, I googled up all the manuals in PDF Format. Now I can print out whatever pages I need...can even print out the entire manual(s). THANKS, everyone...it's appreciated...

Comment

Could you please share the links? I was Googling and came up empty handed.

But I did get side-tracked into this bit of Kommie kitsch. http://www.oldcarmanualproject.com/b...e_0001_jpg.htm
                      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
                      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
                      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
                      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
                      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
                      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I found the 56 Studebaker shop manual in pdf on Packardinfo.com. literature and manuals. Have not found chassis or body catalogs.
                        1956 Owners Manual at 1956goldenhawk.com/manuals/56owners.pdf.
                        Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 10-26-2015, 11:52 PM.
                        South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

What HE said^^^^^^^^

Comment

For what it's worth-----I have the cd version and print up the pages, if I need them. I also put them in clear sleeves to keep grease off them when in use. They go into a binder quite nicely in sleeves too.

Comment

Originally posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
                              What HE said^^^^^^^^
                              It's good to have the Body Catalog and the Chassis Catalog.
                              I couldn't find them in PDF, Did you ?
                              South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                              X