Dash Paint Color

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dash Paint Color

Trying to figure out the color of my 1950 Champion Starlight Coupe dash and window frames. It's surely GRAY, but doesn't seem to be very "shiny" I would guess to keep the glare down.

Does anyone out there in Cyberspace know the exact color name and or code??

Thanks....Reggie

Hey Reggie
    I am in the process of restoring my 1950 Champion and the dash is about to go into paint. I will see if I can get you more info.

Ron

Comment

I have a NOS glove box door that has been exposed to light only a few times in the past 65 years. It would be perfect to take a color match from. If interested send me a PM.
      Richard Quinn
      Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

Comment

I would love to ee a tested formua for the infamous "grayge" in terior color. Please share, whoever gets it or has had it made in the past.
        John
        1950 Champion
        W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
        Holdrege NE

Comment

The Grayge or greige dashboard color changed from year to year. the 50 is almost like metallic cast iron color - very gray metallic with black in it. You could probably get a rattle can color that was close.

The 51 color is lighter and has more brown in it, but still metallic.

The 52 color is no longer metallic, has no brown in it and is a lighter color of gray.
          RadioRoy, specializing in AM/FM conversions with auxiliary inputs for iPod/satellite/CD player. In the old car radio business since 1985.

10G-C1 - 51 Champion starlight coupe
          4H-K5 - 53 Commander starliner hardtop
          5H-D5 - 54 Commander Conestoga wagon

Comment

Originally posted by ReggieFoote View Post
            ... doesn't seem to be very "shiny" I would guess to keep the glare down.
            Precisely! Any paint formula for a dash should call for a little bit of "flattener; for precisely the reason you mentioned.
            Brad Johnson,
            SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
            Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
            '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
            '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Hi Ron,

That would be helpful...thanks.

Reggie

Comment

Thanks Much Richard,

I guess I could do the same as we do have an Automotive Paint store here in Venice, Florida. Appreciate the note.

Reggie

Comment

I drove my 1950 Champion to the paint store today to buy some paint for the arm rests, but also to have the dash scanned. My glove box and ash tray have a few light scratches. He said he could scan my dash, but it didn't work out. He said my dash came up a "20" and 1 to 10 is usable to try mixing, but 20 is way off the scale.

Here's two pictures I took of my neighbor's unrestored 1950 Champion. I took these two dash pictures a couple seconds apart, but notice how different they look. The first picture looks like it has a brown tint to it, but the second picture shows just silver gray. The second picture is closer to what my dash looks like, although the guy at the paint store did mention a hint of brown in the color.

Just wondering what anyone has done for a good match for a 1950 Champion dash paint?

Click image for larger version

Name:	003.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	194.4 KB
ID:	1709954Click image for larger version

Name:	005.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	1709955

Comment

Looks like the color of my 50 Champion also. Rattle can paint from The Home Depot, Rustoleum Metallic Finish #7713 Dark Bronze is a PERFECT MATCH. I'm referring to the first pboto.

Comment

Originally posted by tim333 View Post
                      Looks like the color of my 50 Champion also. Rattle can paint from The Home Depot, Rustoleum Metallic Finish #7713 Dark Bronze is a PERFECT MATCH. I'm referring to the first pboto.
                      Would that have the correct LOW gloss?

Comment

I tried it on the seat side hinge covers, the front seat frame and a door window garnish, perfect match.

Comment

Just recently restored the OEM turn signal control for my 1951 Land Cruiser and was able to find a rattle can at the local Fred Meyer. Seems very close to the original, I imagine if you look close enough you could see the difference. The light of the pictures is not that good, but the turn signal cover to the left is original and the housing to the right is newly painted.

1947 Studebaker M-5
                          1946 Studebaker M-5
                          1948 Studebaker Land Cruiser
                          1961 Studebaker Lark 4-dr. Sedan
                          1951 Studebaker Land Cruiser

Comment

Be careful not to overcoat, undercoat or mix Krylon Paint with other brands, as their base is a totally different formula and not compatible with much else, like the higher quality Duplicolor Paints.
                            Also I don't think Hobby Paint would be very durable, it is for plastic Models.
                            StudeRich
                            Second Generation Stude Driver,
                            Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                            SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Duplicolor was always my favorite paint in a spray can, but I haven't seen it since the 70's in Minnesota.
                              I thought they may have gone out of business.
                              They always had the best selection of original car colors, and it sprayed on better than any of the lesser paints.

Comment

Working...
                              X