PDA

View Full Version : Transporting My Hawk

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 08:50 AM
The front end of my Hawk is disassembled and the hood, fenders, etc. need to go with the car, and there are BOXES of spare/NOS parts. Not only that, but the car is a "roller", not a runner. This precludes a regular multi car Auto Transport from Shipping it. Is there such a thing as a Roll Back Shipper, or a 3/4 or 1 ton Pick-up Transporter? I have NO clue what to look for. I was thinking of renting a U-Haul truck and Car Transporter, but then I have NO idea how to get it up and on the trailer, let alone driving from Central NY to Missouri and back. Help, guys...

sweetolbob
10-24-2015, 09:42 AM
If I do a quick calculation through U-haul for their 10' truck and auto trailer I get about $100/day rental and .99 cents/mile with about 1000+ miles to travel. I'm not sure if that includes fuel. If you figure two days to take your car out and theirs back (you'll need a spouse or friend along) it looks like $1200 for the one way but fuel is a question. I'd talk to Uhaul locally about the whole thing.

The good news is you have a truck to hold all the various parts and the whole equipment thing is U-hauls problem as my calculation includes insurance on the whole thing.

I calculated the cost using a trailer not a dolly. The trailer is $10/day more but it gets the car off the ground and you don't need to worry about a dry rear axle.

Their trailers are great, I always use then for hauling cars.

You might try Penske to compare pricing.

And the put it on the trailer thing, Go to Harbor Freight and buy a 12 Volt winch, less than $100 and as long as the tires are round, it will pull it on to the trailer.

Bob

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 10:02 AM
SWEETOLBOB - That HF 12V winch is a GREAT idea! That, in itself would solve a LOT of problems. We were thinking of driving from Syracuse, doing the truck/dolly/trailer thing, and one waying from Branson. We've got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but don't know if we could get the fenders and or hood inside. We could always secure it to the carrier on top...I suppose...

thunderations
10-24-2015, 10:23 AM
You could spend an hour and bolt the fenders in place and then strap the hood down. I've done this several times. You can buy ratchet straps at the big box stores or HF when you get the winch for cheap.

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 10:33 AM
THUNDERATIONS - ANOTHER good idea...

Milaca
10-24-2015, 10:53 AM
$45 dollars will purchase a new 4-ton come-a-long (hand winch). It is slow but it will work just fine. I've done this several times.

swvalcon
10-24-2015, 11:21 AM
You may find a small guy that ships on a one on one. I had pam's ship a champ pickup for me from AR. to MN. and it was a guy with a 1/2 ton chev pickup and a open car trailer. Worked just fine for me as it was just hardly a roller.

r1lark
10-24-2015, 11:44 AM
Sounds like a great road trip adventure. I'd say go get it yourself, reassemble the front sheetmetal back onto the car, and thgen take back roads and see the sights!

Chicken Hawk
10-24-2015, 12:16 PM
Check your private email.

sweetolbob
10-24-2015, 12:31 PM
SWEETOLBOB - That HF 12V winch is a GREAT idea! That, in itself would solve a LOT of problems. We were thinking of driving from Syracuse, doing the truck/dolly/trailer thing, and one waying from Branson. We've got a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, but don't know if we could get the fenders and or hood inside. We could always secure it to the carrier on top...I suppose...

Generally the problem with using your vehicle is that U-haul won't rent you a trailer unless you have a 3/4" ton or larger vehicle. My son has a HD2500 GMC with the 8.1 engine and I've used it to haul an Avanti over 1000 miles. They wouldn't let me use my 1/2 ton Silverado. It may depend on the dealer you rent from however. Bob

rstrasser
10-24-2015, 01:58 PM
Maybe U Haul does not like Chevrolet I just rented a U Haul car trailer and pulled it with my Ford Bronco. Yes U haul knew I was pulling it with the Bronco. They checked both the hitch and ball rating. Pulled the non running car with a dragging rear brake onto the trailer with a one ton come along, a chain and a few heavy duty yellow lifting straps.
I have pulled U Haul 4 wheel cargo trailers previously with the Bronco with no trouble. This time the trailer did not track well; it wanted to push the back end of the bronco; limited my top speed to about 45. Made for a slow 100 mile trip. The Bronco weighs about the same a the trailer and the car on it. The trailer alone weighs about 2000 pounds.
Ron

StudeRich
10-24-2015, 02:44 PM
It must be that some Dealers just want the sale more than others, my Son was turned down with a 3/4 Ton '70 GMC to Rent a Auto transport Trailer hauling a Studebaker.

Part of the problem is they think a Studebaker weighs a lot, I don't know why you can say it will be a Honda Civic and they have no problem, 5000 Lbs. on a 5000 Lb. Rated Receiver Hitch should work.

rstrasser
10-24-2015, 02:48 PM
A few things I did not mention. You can go to the U Haul web page, put in your vehicle information and it will inform you if what you want to do will work. They will not accept a bumper mounted tow ball and the hitch has to be rated at least 6ooo pounds. One thing I found out was trying to rent a car trailer for one way use is not as easy as renting and returning the trailer to the same place. The private rental places don't want to loose their trailer.
times have changed; my first rental from U Hall was for a tow bar and a bumper clamp on hitch to tow a Studebaker wth my 55 Studebaker from Denver to Cheyenne WY. No computer no question asked. The same year rented a clamp on bumper hitch and a trailer to return to NY. Again no problem.
Ron

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 04:00 PM
SWVALCON - Would you happen to have contact info for that Shipper?...

swvalcon
10-24-2015, 04:35 PM
It's on the net Pam's trucking used by a few here on the site. I just called them and told them what I had to move and from where with addresses and she got back to me with a price and less then a week later it was sitting in my back yard.

thunderations
10-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Check the MO Craigslist. They have some trailer manufacturers that sell 16 and 18 ft car trailers cheap. Buy it there, get the 30 day paper tag. Haul your Hawk home and resell the brand new trailer.

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Pam's Trucking is "just down the road" from Branson, Mo where my Hawk is...that's a GOOD thing. Thanks, SWVALCON...

mbstude
10-24-2015, 06:10 PM
It's on the net Pam's trucking used by a few here on the site. I just called them and told them what I had to move and from where with addresses and she got back to me with a price and less then a week later it was sitting in my back yard.

Are you sure you don't mean Peg's? http://www.pegtrucking.com/

wolfie
10-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Put it up on U-ship. Lots of folks there will do a non-running single car open or closed. Make sure the load is insured etc.. Steve

70Avanti2
10-24-2015, 07:23 PM
If the engine is still in. Do not dolly or flat tow. The frame will buckle with out the fenders.

345 DeSoto
10-24-2015, 07:24 PM
I've already done that, but as I said, I've got a lot of stuff that has to go with it that they won't load. That pretty much narrows down my choices...

TWChamp
10-25-2015, 04:27 AM
There is a guy on Fordbarn, a Model A website, that does enclosed hauling for a living. His handle on the website is Truelyvintage Nothing but good reports from everyone that has used his service. He will load your Hawk and parts as is. Here's his number:
Call me at (260) 804-6695 if you need your vehicle hauled ...

swvalcon
10-25-2015, 08:36 AM
You may try running a add on craigs list in Branson and on your end to see if any small shippers would pick it up. Just don't part with any money until you see the car in your driveway. Or if you have the time and a good buddy as a copilot it would be a fun road trip.

sweetolbob
10-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Considering the amount of pieces-parts that are separate from the car, IIWM, I'd try extremely hard to be there for loading and be sure everything got loaded on the carrier no matter who was trucking it east.

Secondly, the buy/sell a trailer, not necessarily new, might be a decent idea as this time of year you can find closeouts in the snowbelt and you could pick it up anywhere on your route.

JMHO, Bob

thunderations
10-25-2015, 06:57 PM
Just make sure the price of a used trailer is low enough to allow you to purchase new tires if needed. Nothing like ruining everything with a blow out. Sometimes a new trailer is a better buy, especially if you plan to resell.

Considering the amount of pieces-parts that are separate from the car, IIWM, I'd try extremely hard to be there for loading and be sure everything got loaded on the carrier no matter who was trucking it east.

Secondly, the buy/sell a trailer, not necessarily new, might be a decent idea as this time of year you can find closeouts in the snowbelt and you could pick it up anywhere on your route.

JMHO, Bob

pegaleg
10-26-2015, 12:28 PM
You may not like my replies to you regarding the shipment of this car. Please excuse me as I have had a week of arguing with some of my customers about using their cars as suitcases. From what you tell me the car is in pieces. If they cannot roll up to it and winch it on (INOP) with ALL of the parts inside you are going to pay extra for truck space. You are going to pay extra for overloading a vehicle $200.00 additional. And shipping on an open carrier via roll back does not guarantee all the parts will make it to you. I have done ALOT of difficult moves regarding Studebakers BUT I got them done. The safest way to do this is in an enclosed carrier and you will pay extra for the space the parts take up on the truck. Bolt the fenders and hood back on. Put all other stuff inside car and we can talk about transport. I give guys ALOT of credit for moving INOP vehicles. It is a specialized part of auto transport.

studegary
10-26-2015, 01:24 PM
You may not like my replies to you regarding the shipment of this car. Please excuse me as I have had a week of arguing with some of my customers about using their cars as suitcases. From what you tell me the car is in pieces. If they cannot roll up to it and winch it on (INOP) with ALL of the parts inside you are going to pay extra for truck space. You are going to pay extra for overloading a vehicle $200.00 additional. And shipping on an open carrier via roll back does not guarantee all the parts will make it to you. I have done ALOT of difficult moves regarding Studebakers BUT I got them done. The safest way to do this is in an enclosed carrier and you will pay extra for the space the parts take up on the truck. Bolt the fenders and hood back on. Put all other stuff inside car and we can talk about transport. I give guys ALOT of credit for moving INOP vehicles. It is a specialized part of auto transport.

Peg - Thank you for taking the time to spell out the handling of this situation. It is best to hear from a professional and not just mostly guesses from amateurs.

Not a Studebaker, but I recently had someone contact you about transporting an Eldorado to me.

jclary
10-26-2015, 01:33 PM

As a former partner in a Trucking Business, Peg is offering a bold, frank, and honest fact of the trucking business. As in "there's no free lunch," and, "time is money," any viable freight hauler has to cover expenses. It is not a business for "Sissies." In addition to investing in the trucks, there's tons of expenses, state and federal regulations, permits, and almost nothing "routine." Add to the mix, finding and keeping reliable drivers, customers inexperienced with the hauling process, and an army of DOT "Barney Fife" enforcers hiding out at Weight Scales, and rest stops, (they're never funny)... it is a challenge to turn a profit.

Many of these businesses are only one accident or breakdown from loosing their shirts. My company was a "NO Handle" LTL operation. Which meant our driver's sole job was to pick up a load, deliver it to our customer, undamaged, and on time. We could supervise the loading and unloading, but our bill of lading was our "no handle" contract. Anything outside the contract, became the responsibility for our broker's lawyers. We had a good broker who gave us a lot of discretion whether to accept or decline a load. We, in turn, passed that along to our drivers.

pegaleg
10-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Peg - Thank you for taking the time to spell out the handling of this situation. It is best to hear from a professional and not just mostly guesses from amateurs.

Not a Studebaker, but I recently had someone contact you about transporting an Eldorado to me.

I did talk to him. He is still working out details. Thanks

pegaleg
10-26-2015, 03:34 PM
As a former partner in a Trucking Business, Peg is offering a bold, frank, and honest fact of the trucking business. As in "there's no free lunch," and, "time is money," any viable freight hauler has to cover expenses. It is not a business for "Sissies." In addition to investing in the trucks, there's tons of expenses, state and federal regulations, permits, and almost nothing "routine." Add to the mix, finding and keeping reliable drivers, customers inexperienced with the hauling process, and an army of DOT "Barney Fife" enforcers hiding out at Weight Scales, and rest stops, (they're never funny)... it is a challenge to turn a profit.

Many of these businesses are only one accident or breakdown from loosing their shirts. My company was a "NO Handle" LTL operation. Which meant our driver's sole job was to pick up a load, deliver it to our customer, undamaged, and on time. We could supervise the loading and unloading, but our bill of lading was our "no handle" contract. Anything outside the contract, became the responsibility for our broker's lawyers. We had a good broker who gave us a lot of discretion whether to accept or decline a load. We, in turn, passed that along to our drivers.

Furthermore DOT rules and regulations state vehicle transport only. EVEN car part's inside a vehicle are considered household goods and that is an entire other set of rules and regulations. And anything shipped inside a vehicle is done at your own risk which means the auto transporter is not responsible for the goods inside. You have to do the work to prep the car for transport. I agree with there's no free lunch. Do I ship vehicles with stuff inside? Yes BUT it costs extra. and the carriers do not load the parts. That is up to the buyer and the seller.

BILT4ME
10-26-2015, 03:54 PM
I really like the idea of buying a NEW trailer, then doing the run, then selling it. Even if you take a hit on the sell price, can you sell it for $500 less than you bought it? If so, then your trailer rental was $500. Tell the guy that's buying it that it only has 2000 miles (or whatever it ends up being) and sell it fast. Maybe you'll get lucky and sell the trailer for MORE than you buy it for!

Yes, you may end up having to deal with the trailer for a few weeks. DEFINITELY get your trailer insured. I had one back in 1994 that I used a lot for transport. I put on new tires and installed a high end hitch lock and jack, and they stole it that night! I didn't have time to get the insurance on it, so I was out the value of the trailer, the lock, and the tires. (about $5000 worth of stuff at the time!) The tires only had 50 miles on them! They hooked a chain to my trailer and drug it onto the back of another stolen trailer (they got 3 trailers that night in the industrial loop) and took off, never to be seen again. If you get a lock, ONLY get the full wheel boot style. They are expensive, but it makes it more noticeable when they're dragging it down the interstate.........