Transmission Swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission Swap

We have a 1960 Lark V8, automatic.transmission is bad. We have a 1962 Lark 6 cylinder with automatic transmission. The question is, is it okay to put a 6 cylinder transmission in a V8 car besides the 1st gear start. Will it work what do we have to do. Asking this for one of our Members Thank you
    Mabel 1949 Champion
    Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
    Gus 1958 Transtar
    The Prez 1955 President State
    Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
    Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
    Fresno,Ca

Hey Anne, they're two completely different transmissions. A 6 cylinder auto won't fit behind a V8 even if you wanted it to.

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
      Hey Anne, they're two completely different transmissions. A 6 cylinder auto won't fit behind a V8 even if you wanted it to.
      Matt, don't believe that was true for the '62, they are basically the same transmission. However, Studebaker did go to the Borg Warner Model 35 on the 1963/1964 six cylinders which was a totally different aluminum case tranny.

Anne, one thing to check in the parts manual is the number of clutch plates in the six cylinder tranny. I believe the 6 cylinder cast iron trannys may have had less clutch plates. Also not sure if the input shaft was the same, would be something else to check in the parts manual.
      Paul
      Winston-Salem, NC
      Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
      Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I'm fairly certain the input shafts were different. I have a 6 cyl. input shaft (NOS-For Sale) that I was hoping to use as a pilot for clutch aligning that doesn't work for V8's.

Comment

I'm pretty sure the transmissions will interchange, although the six-cylinder tranny should be overhauled, and more clutches installed, if the driver plans to really drive it hard. If the converter on the old tranny is OK, you should be able to just undo the 4 big bolts that hold the tranny main case to the converter housing, slide out the tranny and slip in the new one, making sure, of course to clock the pump drive tangs the same way. About as easy as it can get.
          Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Originally posted by r1lark View Post
            Matt, don't believe that was true for the '62, they are basically the same transmission. However, Studebaker did go to the Borg Warner Model 35 on the 1963/1964 six cylinders which was a totally different aluminum case tranny.
            Thanks, Paul. I was thinking '62's used the little Type 35 trans, too.

Comment

My curiosity got the best of me, so I checked the parts manual. The stator hub and input shaft should be the same based on the parts manual. The '60 had a different part number for the stator hub, but the parts manual indicates it was no longer available and to use the '62 part number. The input shaft carries the same p/n.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

One or Several Australians have bought up many or all of SASCO's Complete NOS '62 Lark 6 Flight-O-Matics for use in V8 Studebakers, so it definitely HAS been done and can be, to get a New Low Gear Start Automatic.
                So doing a USED one would require the same minor changes, plus checking for wear.
                StudeRich
                Second Generation Stude Driver,
                Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

WOW Thank You I will Let them know.
                  Mabel 1949 Champion
                  Hawk 1957 Silverhawk
                  Gus 1958 Transtar
                  The Prez 1955 President State
                  Blu 1957 Golden Hawk
                  Daisy 1954 Regal Commander Starlight Coupe
                  Fresno,Ca

Comment

In 71, at the age of 16 my 1st ride was a 62 Lark 6 cyl automatic I bought from my sister for one hundred bucks. I replaced the six with a full flow 289 and one of the $19.95 R1-R2 cams from Newman & Altman.
                    I enjoyed the first gear start at stop lights showing my Brand X Buddies what the Stude Dude could do with his little Lark, with no adverse trans performance issues at all. The engine lives on in my Champ P/U, and I think the trans is still around here somewhere????
                    JS
                    I was STUDEBAKER, when STUDEBAKER wasn't "KOOL".

Comment

Working...
                    X