Off brand wheel for my Stude

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off brand wheel for my Stude

Anyone here used these wheels on a Studebaker? They are for a Ford Ranger. The ad says they are 5 lug with 4.5 bolt pattern. He's asking $25 per wheel. (I'll offer $15) I've seen some of the heavier looking ranger wheels with the round holes, but not these with the oval holes.

The reason I'm asking, is that I have the brake assemblies to upgrade my '48 Champion to five lug wheels along with later model brakes. I will either have to use full wheel covers, or modify whatever I find to accept the small wheel covers.

John Clary
    Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Hey John, why can't you use stock '51 and later Stude wheels with the hubcap clips?

Comment

I have not used them but I believe the ones pictured are 14". I have driven a Ranger at work for years and have had different years. The last had 15" as standard. They will work as I have heard of others using them on Studebakers, mostly the alloy ones, like these http://www.wholesalewheel.net/store/...ng-p-1270.html
      The ones I have now on the Ranger are 15's and a seven spoke pattern, like these http://www.wholesalewheel.net/store/...ca-p-1714.html

Comment

There are '86 to '90? Ford Ranger 4X4 Steel Wheels with triangular holes that are 6 Inch X15 and work well, I would check them for "Bumps" on each side of the Valve Stem, if they have that they would be ideal for the Stude Wheel Covers.
        StudeRich
        Second Generation Stude Driver,
        Proud '54 Starliner Owner
        SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by mbstude View Post
          Hey John, why can't you use stock '51 and later Stude wheels with the hubcap clips?
          That's an excellent idea, Matt! Only problem is that all my '51 wheels are... ugh...on my '51.

I have five more for my Lark, and even more on the '55 coupe. I'm going to do some scrounging, but, if I find a spare workable set. And, buy them right (a caso deal) I'll pick them up for "roller" purposes.
          John Clary
          Greer, SC

SDC member since 1975

Comment

The wheels shown are 15", they have the 8 oddball slanted ovals.
            15 x 6, 5 on 4 1/2, with 4" backspace.
            They are found on:
            Ford Rangers 1993-2009
            Ford Explorer 1993-94, 1996-2000
            Mercury Mountaineer 1997-2001
            Mazda B2300 1996-2003
            No, They don't have "bumps".
            I use them on my 55 State Sedan.
            Rangers also used 14" wheels on some models, they have 6 ovals.
            Last edited by 55 56 PREZ 4D; 10-23-2015, 09:55 PM.
            South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

John, I used similar Ranger wheels on my '63 Daytona. A little work with a mig welder and you can add the 'bumps' on either side of the valve stem to keep the wheel covers from rotating.
              Paul
              Winston-Salem, NC
              Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
              Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

I have heard that you can bolt or rivet VW hubcap clips to the wheels to snap your original hubcaps onto. Just take some time and get them centered and spaced correctly.
                sigpic1966 Daytona (The First One)
                1950 Champion Convertible
                1950 Champion 4Dr
                1955 President 2 Dr Hardtop
                1957 Thunderbird

Comment

Out here, there is only 1 local wrecking yard that saves wheels.
                  The other yards get crushed as soon as possible. Or are used to prop up vehicles.
                  Nothing that old stays.
                  When I first started looking for those wheels, about 4 years ago, I found 6 at $20 each.
                  Every time I went back to look for more the price went up.
                  The last batch I found, about 2 mos ago, was $35 each.
                  South Lompoc Studebaker

Comment

Working...
                  X