Broken deal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken deal

Here's something that I didn't expect today. The body man broke his the deal. He wanted it off his lot because he didn't much like Mom, a cousin from out West, and me imposing on him to actually hold up his end. Back in '04, I traded an '86 F-150 4x4 potential rebuilder in exchange for him to spiff the body up on this when it was still in good shape. I thought that a was an exceptional barter! Instead I traded that F-150 for 11 years of him letting it rot and the weather and suffer fire and animal damage until it's almost a carcass. I'm trying to figure out what to do now.

At least he was kind enough to ratchet poor Hawk on the dolly and drop the rear drive shaft.

This also reminds me too much of not being able to have nice things from the Indie Glut and Heroes World to Fun Rockets and Omaha Compaq.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1748900Click image for larger version

Name:	broken4.jpg
Size:	146.6 KB
ID:	1748901Click image for larger version

Name:	broken5.jpg
Size:	138.1 KB
ID:	1748902Click image for larger version

Name:	broken6.jpg
Size:	148.6 KB
ID:	1748903Click image for larger version

Name:	broken7.jpg
Size:	131.4 KB
ID:	1748904
    1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
    1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
    1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
    1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
    1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
    1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

That is too Bad, sorry to hear that. I guess that is what happens if you do not follow up on your promised "projects".
    Looks like he "spiffed it up" all right.

I guess it's time to move ahead with the Title issue on the Champ pickup.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

The title on the Champ was fixed two weeks ago. So that's over.
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case

Comment

It's called small claims court.

Comment

He had the car for 11 years and did nothing and you did nothing??? What did you think he was doing with the car in that time period? Seems to me most of the blame is on your end for allowing it to happen...

Comment

I think after the first year of no action, I would have taken the car back (and the truck) and found another option.
            Dick Steinkamp
            Bellingham, WA

Comment

OK, some of us been to a lot of Sunday School. Because of that (and rules)77 is why this isn't a profane rant. Contradictory, I've been a little bit gaslighted for being anti-social if I would get angry or stand up for myself. The guy almost gets the Hawk into the shop and then something happens like the transmission goes out of his grandpa's pickup. Am I going to be a hard case for that? His shop burned down (taking a fender and tail-fin with it and bubbling some glass) so I backed off a couple of years. His house got tornado damaged, so I backed off a couple years after that. I really didn't know how to handle this thing.

Comment

No offense Doug, but personal is personal and business is business...JMHO.
                Tom - Bradenton, FL

1964 Studebaker Daytona - 289 4V, 4-Speed (Cost To Date: $2514.10)
                1964 Studebaker Commander - 170 1V, 3-Speed w/OD

Comment

More pictures, because I can't sleep and I'm going through a bit of emotional burn out right now.

Click image for larger version

Name:	broken8.jpg
Size:	145.9 KB
ID:	1701000Click image for larger version

Name:	broken9.jpg
Size:	99.4 KB
ID:	1701001Click image for larger version

Name:	broken10.jpg
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1701002Click image for larger version

Name:	broken11.jpg
Size:	130.3 KB
ID:	1701003Click image for larger version

Name:	broken12.jpg
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1701004

Comment

Warning: Thread hi-jack.

I find myself in a similar situation, maybe someone here has a positive suggestion of how to resolve it. Four years ago I put a 53 K with someone with strong Studebaker credentials. Asked him to make it stop and go, gave him some upfront cash for parts. It sits in his shop (I hope) 4 hours away from here. Last report the rear axle was out so it is no longer even a roller. I can't get the shop owner to respond to any communication. Some folks say to get a trailer and a bolt cutter and go get it. How would I get it on the trailer without a rear axle?

What would you do?
                    Last edited by ddub; 10-21-2015, 08:22 PM.
                    Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                    50 Champion 2 door*
                    53 Commander K Auto*
                    53 Commander K overdrive*
                    55 President Speedster
                    62 GT 4Speed*
                    63 Avanti R1*
                    64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

While that has gut appeal in a TV movie sort of way, I can see insult to injury with also being busted for trespassing, burglary, etc.

Comment

"This also reminds me too much of not being able to have nice things from the Indie Glut and Heroes World to Fun Rockets and Omaha Compaq."

What does that statement mean?????

Comment

I got screwed out of careers in Comics, computers, and model rockets.

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                            Warning: Thread hi-jack.

I find myself in a similar situation, maybe someone here has a positive suggestion of how to resolve it. Four years ago I put a 53 K with someone with strong Studebaker credentials. Asked him to make it stop and go, gave him some upfront cash for parts. It sits in his shop (I hope) 4 hours away from here. Last report the rear axle was out so it is no longer even a roller. I can't get the shop owner to respond to any communication. Some folks say to get a trailer and a bolt cutter and go get it. How would I get it on the trailer without a rear axle?

What would you do?
                            I would talk to the local sheriffs office and explain the problem to find out what to do. Being in possession of the title and with an officer would make a big difference when picking up the car and could prevent an unneeded confrontation. You might need to hire a tow truck to get it out and loaded.
                            I just helped put a car that was badly treated and done completely wrong. The shop decided they were tired of it and just quit. It came to us in boxes mixed with other car parts. She probably spent twice what it is worth but was happy to get it done and has already won a trophy after driving it to Arizona. There can be a happy ending.
                            Good luck, Rob.

Comment

ddub what mapman said is the only way to do what you need the law must be involved.

Comment

Working...
                              X