Avanti Paint Finishing - Finish Sanding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Body / Glass: Avanti Paint Finishing - Finish Sanding

I had to take a months hiatus in Houston but I'm now back in the polebarn. I had previously applied several coats of TCPGlobal Restoration Shop catalyzed Acrylic Enamel in Dayton Yellow to the 74 Avanti.

I had to do it myself after a long hiatus from painting because my "go to" paint folks are gainfully employed in other occupations and don't have time. The painting didn't cause me much heart burn as I've done that several times in the past but the final sanding/sanding/buffing after painting was something I had never done before.

After a fairly detailed search on youtube I ordered the sander and paper. When they arrived I stiffened my resolve, watched youtube a couple more times and forged ahead fearlessly. Well, I guess, not really fearlessly but knowing, If I screw it up I'll fix it and go again.

Yup!! I said sander, there just isn't enough stamina nor desire in the 72 YO frame to hand sand the whole thing. What did I use, you ask?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151021_113058.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	1748891 It's Chicago Pneumatic DA sander and Meguire foam backed wet Unigrit sandpaper. The DA also has a foam pad between the rubber pad on the sander and the foam backed sand paper.

I must admit after all the hours of sanding and painting the Avanti, it was difficult to push the trigger of the DA the first time but I did and it works very well.

I, of course, started with the 1500 grit and a fair amount of water from a spray bottle. As I went I noticed the DA seemed to cut better when the area being sanded was just slightly moist so I cut back on the water with much better results. I probably made 10 passes total with the 1500 alternating directions. After two passes, one in each direction, I wiped the residue off with a wet rag and then a dry cotton towel. It didn't take much time to get the water in the pail bright yellow. When I was happy with the surface I went to the 3000 grit.

Same procedure but probably about 8 passes. With every pass of both grits, I came up to the edges but didn't go into them. I saved that until I was happy with the flat portions and then attacked them gently.

I'll include a couple of shots of the hood but the photos don't show how nice the surface looks in real time. There are no swirls but just a light fog that I suspect will polish out with the final buffing and polishing. The 3M finish kit should be here today.

My plans are, with colder weather coming, to finish the hood and install it on the car. I'll then finish the roof and sail panels so I can install the gas filler.

I'll then spend whatever time I have in the pole barn until spring finishing the wiring and interior. I'll probably ding up the paint in a couple of spots during that time but it's easily fixed in the spring before I sand and polish the rest of the car.

Hood finishing with 3000 grit. Sanded left - swirled sanding residue right.

Name:	IMG_20151021_113454.jpg
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	1748892

I don't claim to be producing a top show quality finish but it will look OK to the Vox Populi at the car shows and I'll be happy to tell the folks that ask that I did it.

Name:	100_1649.jpg
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	1748893

Avanti, Bob

Originally posted by sweetolbob View Post
    I had to take a months hiatus in Houston but I'm now back in the polebarn. I had previously applied several coats of TCPGlobal Restoration Shop catalyzed Acrylic Enamel in Dayton Yellow to the 74 Avanti.

I had to do it myself after a long hiatus from painting because my "go to" paint folks are gainfully employed in other occupations and don't have time. The painting didn't cause me much heart burn as I've done that several times in the past but the final sanding/sanding/buffing after painting was something I had never done before.

After a fairly detailed search on youtube I ordered the sander and paper. When they arrived I stiffened my resolve, watched youtube a couple more times and forged ahead fearlessly. Well, I guess, not really fearlessly but knowing, If I screw it up I'll fix it and go again.

Yup!! I said sander, there just isn't enough stamina nor desire in the 72 YO frame to hand sand the whole thing. What did I use, you ask?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48651[/ATTACH] It's Chicago Pneumatic DA sander and Meguire foam backed wet Unigrit sandpaper. The DA also has a foam pad between the rubber pad on the sander and the foam backed sand paper.

I must admit after all the hours of sanding and painting the Avanti, it was difficult to push the trigger of the DA the first time but I did and it works very well.

I, of course, started with the 1500 grit and a fair amount of water from a spray bottle. As I went I noticed the DA seemed to cut better when the area being sanded was just slightly moist so I cut back on the water with much better results. I probably made 10 passes total with the 1500 alternating directions. After two passes, one in each direction, I wiped the residue off with a wet rag and then a dry cotton towel. It didn't take much time to get the water in the pail bright yellow. When I was happy with the surface I went to the 3000 grit.

Same procedure but probably about 8 passes. With every pass of both grits, I came up to the edges but didn't go into them. I saved that until I was happy with the flat portions and then attacked them gently.

I'll include a couple of shots of the hood but the photos don't show how nice the surface looks in real time. There are no swirls but just a light fog that I suspect will polish out with the final buffing and polishing. The 3M finish kit should be here today.

My plans are, with colder weather coming, to finish the hood and install it on the car. I'll then finish the roof and sail panels so I can install the gas filler.

I'll then spend whatever time I have in the pole barn until spring finishing the wiring and interior. I'll probably ding up the paint in a couple of spots during that time but it's easily fixed in the spring before I sand and polish the rest of the car.

Hood finishing with 3000 grit. Sanded left - swirled sanding residue right.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48653[/ATTACH]

I don't claim to be producing a top show quality finish but it will look OK to the Vox Populi at the car shows and I'll be happy to tell the folks that ask that I did it.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]48654[/ATTACH]

Avanti, Bob
    From the photos it looks just fine. If the orange peel is gone, sand no more.

3000 grit scratches should buff out easily. Remember it's easy to cut through the edges, so leave them for last, and maybe do them by hand.

Light pressure on the buffer, don't try to rush it. I always have to tell myself - "Don't be a jerk, let the compound do the work."

If you used acrylic enamel with urethane hardener, yes, you can do a show quality finish.

FWIW, Junior's House of Color had the reputation of doing maybe the best paint work in the country. Folks would drive a new Rolls to his shop to get it painted "right". He did it just the way you are. Junior once said that he put 5 gallons of paint on a car and sanded four gallons of it off.

Junior didn't use no clearcoat.

I tried to "Juniorize" my Sprite.

Last edited by jnormanh; 10-21-2015, 09:52 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by jnormanh View Post
      From the photos it looks just fine. If the orange peel is gone, sand no more.

3000 grit scratches should buff out easily. Remember it's easy to cut through the edges, so leave them for last, and maybe do them by hand.

Light pressure on the buffer, don't try to rush it. I always have to tell myself - "Don't be a jerk, let the compound do the work."

If you used acrylic enamel with urethane hardener, yes, you can do a show quality finish.

FWIW, Junior's House of Color had the reputation of doing maybe the best paint work in the country. Folks would drive a new Rolls to his shop to get it painted "right". He did it just the way you are. Junior once said that he put 5 gallons of paint on a car and sanded four gallons of it off.

Junior didn't use no clearcoat.

I tried to "Juniorize" my Sprite.
      Thanks for the thoughts and article. I've got about two gallons on it. Hope it comes out somewhat like your sprite.

Bob

Comment

Working...
      X