Type of engine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Engine: Type of engine

I have a V8 engine with an engine number E629. I think the engine is a 259. What year would the block have been cast and what vehicles would the engine been used.

Not familiar with just an E prefix. A 2E629 would be a 1955 224" truck block.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

As Jack said, a number followed by an E would be a truck engine. Look more carefully at the engine serial number boss and then look here:
      Skip Lackie

Comment

Is a 224 a V8. The engine on my car looks like a 259. The only numbers on the engine are E 629.

Comment

The 224 and the 259 are the same casting, the 224 has a short throw on the crank.

Comment

Is the engine number cast in the block on the right front of engine or stamped by the distributor?

Comment

It is stamped next to the fuel pump stack.

Comment

Originally posted by ronta View Post
                Is the engine number cast in the block on the right front of engine or stamped by the distributor?
                I do not think that we have the engine type/year/displacement identified yet.
                The engine number is not a cast number. It is always stamped.
                On early 232s it is by the distributor. On all of the rest, it is stamped on a pad on the top surface of the block at the left front of the engine (right looking under the hood.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Here is our V8 Engine I.D. Page from this Website, if you scan to the bottom you will see a Picture of where to look and all the info needed to decode the Serial Number.

That is IF it has a Factory Serial Number from a original Production Car, and not a Factory replacement Engine.

StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
                  X