STP prices gone crazy!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• STP prices gone crazy!!!

I never thought that I would see the day when a STP Oil Treatment can topped $25.00, much less $100.00. This can has been bid to $104.36 with 11 hours left. It is nice, no rust on the lid, but $100.00+ ?????

Decimal Dude (quickly thinking what my 40+ cans may now be worth...)

Amazing...
    And to think it's available all day long now...brand new...at $2.19 a container
    Jeff[8D]
    HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Amazing...
      And to think it's available all day long now...brand new...at $2.19 a container
      Jeff[8D]
      HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Gary: The [one] sealed can I have does not have a plastic tab pull; the tab pull is metal. On the front it says "Quiets Noisy Motors" where the auction can says "New Premium". Also, my can says STP Division of Studebaker Corporation, not Chemical Compounds.

Can you date the can on e-bay versus the can I have? [?] Thanks. [8D] BP
        We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

Gary: The [one] sealed can I have does not have a plastic tab pull; the tab pull is metal. On the front it says "Quiets Noisy Motors" where the auction can says "New Premium". Also, my can says STP Division of Studebaker Corporation, not Chemical Compounds.

Can you date the can on e-bay versus the can I have? [?] Thanks. [8D] BP
          We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

On some things the "Studebaker" name makes them more valuable !
            Gary...if this keeps up there will be lots of STP stuff on ebay !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO
            "IF YOU WANT THE SMILES YOU NEED TO DO THE MILES "

1950 2R5
            1960 Champ
            1964 Daytona HT
            sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

On some things the "Studebaker" name makes them more valuable !
              Gary...if this keeps up there will be lots of STP stuff on ebay !

HOME of THE FRIED GREEN TOMATO

1950 2R5
              1960 Champ
              1964 Daytona HT
              sigpic

Home of the Fried Green Tomato

1960 Champ , 1966 Daytona , 1965 Daytona Wagonaire

Comment

Just like the cars, condition is everything. For a memorabilia collector, a mint can like this is the Holy Grail. I agree, everyone with a dented, rusted can will now expect $100 plus, but won't get it. You see the same thing with cars, a condition 1 Studebaker will sell for 20K, then you'll see rust buckets with a line like: "One like it just sold for 20K"

JDP/Maryland
                63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                spent to date $54664,75
                64 R2 GT (Sid)
                spent to date $62,439.30
                63 Lark 2 door
                52 Starliner
                51 Commander
                39 Coupe express
                39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

Just like the cars, condition is everything. For a memorabilia collector, a mint can like this is the Holy Grail. I agree, everyone with a dented, rusted can will now expect $100 plus, but won't get it. You see the same thing with cars, a condition 1 Studebaker will sell for 20K, then you'll see rust buckets with a line like: "One like it just sold for 20K"

JDP/Maryland
                  63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
                  spent to date $54664,75
                  64 R2 GT (Sid)
                  spent to date $62,439.30
                  63 Lark 2 door
                  52 Starliner
                  51 Commander
                  39 Coupe express
                  39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

Comment

I just noticed the seller's claim that the auction can was "vintage 1950s." Wrong. Studebaker did not own Chemical Compounds in the 1950s.

Quoting from the STP section of The 1963 Studebaker Corporation Annual Report:

"Chemical Compounds was acquired by the growing Studebaker industrial complex in 1961."

Elsewhere in that report, it conclusively states that STP stands for Scientifically Treated Petroleum, as we have stated here on the Forum previously. [^]

BTW, the Annual Report has a photo of a service station attendant adding a can of STP Oil Treatment to what appears to be a 1961 Lark Six. The gas pump behind the attendant is barely visible, but you can see that it is American (Standard Oil) Premium. The sale numbers are fuzzy, but appear to be $2.00, with the quantity dispensed having been 5.4 gallons...of major-brand premium! BP

Comment

I just noticed the seller's claim that the auction can was "vintage 1950s." Wrong. Studebaker did not own Chemical Compounds in the 1950s.

Quoting from the STP section of The 1963 Studebaker Corporation Annual Report:

"Chemical Compounds was acquired by the growing Studebaker industrial complex in 1961."

Elsewhere in that report, it conclusively states that STP stands for Scientifically Treated Petroleum, as we have stated here on the Forum previously. [^]

BTW, the Annual Report has a photo of a service station attendant adding a can of STP Oil Treatment to what appears to be a 1961 Lark Six. The gas pump behind the attendant is barely visible, but you can see that it is American (Standard Oil) Premium. The sale numbers are fuzzy, but appear to be $2.00, with the quantity dispensed having been 5.4 gallons...of major-brand premium! BP

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                        Problem with the Pepsi bottle was that after 90 days on the supermarket shelf the plastic reacted with tha plastic, making it not suitable for human consumption.
                        So it's just like regular Pepsi?[}]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                        63 Avanti R1 2788
                        1914 Stutz Bearcat
                        (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

quote:Originally posted by bondobilly
                          Problem with the Pepsi bottle was that after 90 days on the supermarket shelf the plastic reacted with tha plastic, making it not suitable for human consumption.
                          So it's just like regular Pepsi?[}]

63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State
                          63 Avanti R1 2788
                          1914 Stutz Bearcat
                          (George Barris replica)

Washington State

Comment

The high price is due to the Blue Plastic pull top. I have gone thru all my STP cans and there are a lot, none have the blue pull top. This can might be a prototype can.

I have a ton of Pepsi bottles that never made it to the market. One is the first prototype of their plastic bottle. Problem with the Pepsi bottle was that after 90 days on the supermarket shelf the plastic reacted with tha plastic, making it not suitable for human consumption. Also have Cokes prototype, same thing.

Comment

The high price is due to the Blue Plastic pull top. I have gone thru all my STP cans and there are a lot, none have the blue pull top. This can might be a prototype can.

I have a ton of Pepsi bottles that never made it to the market. One is the first prototype of their plastic bottle. Problem with the Pepsi bottle was that after 90 days on the supermarket shelf the plastic reacted with tha plastic, making it not suitable for human consumption. Also have Cokes prototype, same thing.

Comment

Working...
                              X