Installing Fuel Pump '57 Golden Hawk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Installing Fuel Pump '57 Golden Hawk

Good morning. I am currently installing a fuel pump on my '57. Got the engine unstuck after 35 years of sitting, and, replaced all the ignition components, and, it runs! I pulled the old pump out, now installing the new one. Do I just jam it in there? Do I need to lift some arm? It goes in easily, then wont snap into position, should I just crank down on the bolts? I left it, just dangling there. Maybe blip the starter to move the eccentric a little? Thanks for any help.

Put grease on the arm contact area, then slip the pump into position. Give the pump a hard push so it's fully in place, and you should feel the arm move the diaphragm against the spring pressure. Don't force anything by bolting it down without knowing it's in the correct position.

Comment

Thanks TW, I never considered putting grease on the arm. I'll give it a try today.

Comment

It would also help to have the eccentric out of the way...

Comment

That's what I'm talking about! I should blip the engine, too, huh? Cause I don't know where the eccentric is ... Hey, I love the Skaneateles region, my wife and I have visited around there the past two years.

Comment

Blipped starter, greased 'er, n slipped 'er in! Felt pressure on arm. Thanks so much! A smooth job.

Comment

Keep in mind that if you had an original Carter Fuel Pump on there with the "U" Channel actuating Arm as apposed to the multiple laminated steel plates type used on Airtex or Airtex type other Brand replacement Pumps, you HAD a much, much better pump than the replacements.

The Original design real Carter pumps have not been available in a long time so I would save the old one, because repair Kits are available if you do not see the need of a good spare that will run 20 plus years, some other Stude. owner certainly will be glad to buy it.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

It's probably original. I'll hang on to it. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                X