No announcement yet.

fuel and temp gauges appear to not work on my 1961 Lark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedo / Tach / Gauges: fuel and temp gauges appear to not work on my 1961 Lark

I'm stumped on this one. I just had my gauges and speedometer rebuilt and was told that my fuel and temp gauges were "shot." It appears that when a current from a battery pack was applied to the two contacts on the back of the Stewart-Warner gauges on my 1961 Lark, the needles wouldn't wiggle or move a bit. I bought two replacement gauges from Studebaker International, and the gauge restorers told me the same thing - that these were duds as well. They tested them in front of me and they didn't move a bit. After some thought, however, I am rather skeptical that both sets of gauges could be duds.

The man doing the work in the shop had two Double D batteries and two wires. He applied them to the fuel gauges of a late 60's GM model and got some action, but the same set up did nothing for mine, and I wanted to ask if he was doing something wrong when testing them.

Thanks for the help!

Albert

The OHM ratings of GM Gauges are completely different than the Independant Auto. Co.'s and Chrysler, so a comparison like that is pointless, not to mention that is NOT how you test them.

They work by having a regulated RESISTANCE applied to the Sender Terminal and 12 Volts to the Power (+) side.
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Indeed. And the ground to the gauge case is an essential part of the circuit. Sounds like the shop guy is a little deficient on electrical knowledge.
      Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Agreed - their forte is in speedometers and in cosmetic restoration. It appears that they don't know much about the electrical side of things. Good things to hear, though - it appears that I may indeed still have working gauges.

Comment

Two D batteries X 2= 6 Volts, no? 12 Volt car. Both gauges work by variable resistance. Check your wiring diagram. On my Avanti, the Temp, Fuel and indicator light on shifter are on one fuse. No juice-no work.

Comment

Apply +12 volts to the "ign" terminal of each gauge in turn. I believe they are marked. If not refer to the wiring diagram. Negative goes to the case. The pointer should not move. Now, briefly ground the other terminal. Within a second or two, the pointer should come off the zero peg, and head for the max peg. Un-ground it before it pegs out. If they do that, they are probably OK. And four D cells as the power source would probably work for that test. The "minimum" resistance for the sending units, which translates to gauge maximum, is around 80 ohms, and a direct ground at the terminal is close to zero.
            Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Working...
            X