True or False

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• True or False

Studebaker beds on 56 Dodge trucks?http://houston.craigslist.org/cto/5265117619.html

I always thought it was the other way around. I thought the "T" cab Stude pickups used Dodge beds to save money on forming dies etc.

Comment

Looks more like a GM bed to me. or maybe Ford.
      Candbstudebakers
      Castro Valley,
      California

Comment

I'm with Bob, didn't Studebaker use a double wall bed by the '50's?

Comment

Originally posted by spokejr View Post
          I'm with Bob, didn't Studebaker use a double wall bed by the '50's?
          I believe the double wall bed was introduced in 1949. I do not believe that is a Studebaker bed on that Dodge truck. The fender looks wrong.
          Ed Sallia
          Dundee, OR

Sol Lucet Omnibus

Comment

Studebaker used a double wall bed from the introduction of the 2R series for the 1949 model year. The Champ truck utilized a Dodge bed, but I think it was actually made by Budd. The box on the truck in question looks like a M series, which I think was also made by Budd. Gary Ash or Skip Lackie can confirm.

Comment

I did a google image search, and the bed side panels are not correct for a 56 Dodge, but I think the fenders are original - and the tailgate.

Comment

This appears to be a "low side" box. In those years you could get either low side or high side boxes. I've read that the low side was dropped early in the '56 model year.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

FALSE...........................
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Originally posted by Guido View Post
                    Studebaker used a double wall bed from the introduction of the 2R series for the 1949 model year. The Champ truck utilized a Dodge bed, but I think it was actually made by Budd. The box on the truck in question looks like a M series, which I think was also made by Budd. Gary Ash or Skip Lackie can confirm.
                    I can neither confirm nor deny -- the listing has been removed (saved by the bell . . . . . ).
                    Skip Lackie

Comment

[QUOTE=Skip Lackie;950610]I can neither confirm nor deny -- the listing has been removed (saved by the bell . . . . . ).[/QUOT

Found it Skip, well....http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/5253558797.html

Comment

Studebaker used a double wall bed in 1937 on the J5
                        HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

[QUOTE=JEWELL;950859]
                          Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post
                          I can neither confirm nor deny -- the listing has been removed (saved by the bell . . . . . ).[/QUOT

Found it Skip, well....http://gulfport.craigslist.org/cto/5253558797.html
                          Have never owned an M pickup, so am not intimately familiar with their beds -- but it does resemble an M bed. That said, I agree with those who said false. I know that Studebaker had so many M series cabs left over that they were selling them for a few hundred dollars apiece in 1949. But I am not aware of the company having many M series pickup beds left over -- and certainly not as late as 1956. So my guess is it's home-built.
                          Skip Lackie

Comment

[QUOTE=Skip Lackie;950895]
                            Originally posted by JEWELL View Post

Have never owned an M pickup, so am not intimately familiar with their beds -- but it does resemble an M bed. That said, I agree with those who said false. I know that Studebaker had so many M series cabs left over that they were selling them for a few hundred dollars apiece in 1949. But I am not aware of the company having many M series pickup beds left over -- and certainly not as late as 1956. So my guess is it's home-built.
                            Not homemade, it is a factory low side bed on a C series truck.

Comment

[QUOTE=Guido;950907]
                              Originally posted by Skip Lackie View Post

Not homemade, it is a factory low side bed on a C series truck.
                              Gary-
                              I meant the truck/bed combination was home-built (ie, not factory as stated in the ad), not that the bed was home-built.
                              Skip Lackie

Comment

Working...
                              X