No announcement yet.

gm 4 speed auto trans.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Transmission / Overdrive: gm 4 speed auto trans.

would a 4 speed auto trans. work on my 64 cruiser 289 v/8 with out to much modifercations? thanks in advance.

The 700R4/200-4R swaps have been covered here dozens of times. A search will give days of reading.

And no, it won't work "with out to much modifercations?" An adapter, starter, driveshaft, mount, TV cable and shift linkage, speedo gear, lockup converter switch are just some of what's required.

But yes, to some of us, it's worth the expense and work. JMHO, but the 4-speed auto transforms the Stude. The result is faster off the line and cruises more relaxed and more economically. Just don't expect to ever pay for the swap in fuel savings.

jack vines
    PackardV8

Comment

Yea, what Jack said.
      He missed the TV (throttle valve) cable bracket, the non-GM trans. filler tube in his list. Though you can get away with OR without the lockup converter.
      I'm currently working on three different Studebakers, all have a 200-4R awaiting installation. Well, one has actually been installed, the car is waiting for me to install new wiring before it hits the streets.

Mike

Comment

well thanks to you guys I think I will stick with what I got, and enjoy my little cruiser.

Comment

I would say that if your tranny is failed or you do a lot driving long distances, make the switch. If the car is your once a month, cruise downtown for burgers or ice cream and the tranny works fine toy, don't mess with it

Comment

What I did was to buy all the parts needed except torque converter and tranny from the Studebaker vendors and then took those to a transmission shop purchased the tranny and tic from them plus installation. Took longer than I expected and cost more but well worth it. Just did this in Jan 2015.

Mark

Comment

Working...
            X