Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best Studebaker Restoration Shop on East Coast?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best Studebaker Restoration Shop on East Coast?

I now have 2 very different & "lovable" 60's Studebakers that I'd like to have professionally restored. I'm new to these cars, but loved their look as a kid, and am thrilled to have them now. My 1st is a 1961 Lark DeLuxe 4-Dr Sedan with the 170cc SkyBolt 6 & Manual Transmission. The 2nd is a 1962 Lark Daytona HT with an original 289 V8, Three-on-the-Tree w/OD! Now I just need to find an excellent shop that knows these cars and is able to do the proper job of bringing them back to "Show Room New" condition.
    Any and all suggestions will be most appreciated. Thanks.

There are plenty that should be able to handle your Studebakers. Depends on how much you want to spend. Check with Craig Piper at Westmoreland Studebaker (http://westmorelandrestorations.com/WACR_iw/Home.html), and also Jon Meyer (http://www.myersstudebaker.com/). Also, David Hauser in North Carolina has done some really nice Studebaker restorations; he is on this forum as "prez55" so you can PM him via the Private Message link at the top left of the screen.

I know there are many others, and I'm sure that others will chime in. These are a few that come to my mind.
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

Hi intrepid51, I saw your post and am actually Craig's son, Garvin. Thank you, by the way, for the mention r1lark. If you are interested, you can send me an email/private message on here or at craigpiper@earthlink.net and we can talk about what exactly you're looking for if you would like. I have a soft spot for 59-61 Larks and both of my parents seem to collect 63's, so we're pretty familiar with them.

Comment

This is admirable. I wish you well. Be sure to get a contract with an end date and a penalty if that is not met. I hope that you realize that a professional restoration of these cars will put you far "upside down" financially in them. It is okay to do that as long as you understand it going in.
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by 1960LarkFTW View Post
          Hi intrepid51, I saw your post and am actually Craig's son, Garvin. .
          Hi, Garvin! Welcome to the Forum!
          I've often lamented that Craig has not had the time to frequent the forum. Your years of experience and input to many of the novices here can be invaluable to the future of salvaging Studebakers.
          I know your projects spread you pretty thin but, PLEASE keep in touch here.
          Hope to see you this weekend at Reedsville.
          Brad Johnson,
          SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
          Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
          '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
          '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Westmoreland did a driver restoration on my '63 Skytop and I was very happy with the way the car turned out and I enjoyed dealing with all the Pipers! The car was done in 1995, so it's been a while, but I got very detailed invoices, photos every now and then, and found them honest and good folks! Craig worked with me on what level of restoration I wanted and we stuck to that. Good luck!
            Bill Pressler
            Kent, OH
            (formerly Greenville, PA)
            Currently owned: 1966 Cruiser, Timberline Turquoise, 26K miles
            Formerly owned: 1963 Lark Daytona Skytop R1, Ermine White
            1964 Daytona Hardtop, Strato Blue
            1966 Daytona Sports Sedan, Niagara Blue Mist
            All are in Australia now

Comment

David Hauser does great work...............
              He is working on my 53 now.+
              In Lewisville, NC PM me for phone number.
              Jack White
              Jack White
              Charlotte,NC
              North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

Craig Piper and the guys at Westmoreland painted my 64 GT in 2002 and did an outstanding job. The paint still looks really good 13 years later.

Randy
                Randy Ridenour
                Frostburg,MD
                1964 GT Hawk
                sigpic

Comment

Craig and Garvin are Awesome!!... I've met them on several occasions and have seen their work and facilities in person..... Top Notch!!..... Currently doing my 57 GH

Comment

Hi Garvin, I read your post and sent you an email! It seems you and your dad are the ones to go to, so I'd love to work something out so that you could restore my Larks. Thanks for you fast response & I look forward to speaking with you.

George

Comment

Not quite on the East coast but DeLuxe Autowerks did many Studes.
                      Many were first price winners.
                      DeLuxe Autowerks in West Chicago.
                      630 293 7750.
                      Robert Kapteyn

Comment

I will be setting up shop in the east come next year. In New Hampshire. I had 7 first place winners at the nationals here in St.Louis this year.
                        Bez Auto Alchemy
                        573-318-8948
                        http://bezautoalchemy.com

"Don't believe every internet quote" Abe Lincoln

Comment

Where did the larks go?.... Curious as I've got a friend needing to send his car up north

Comment

BRAD... just when I am progressing on saving enough cash to talk to you... you are moving????

Comment

Working...
                            X