overdrive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overdrive

So Im in the process of converting from 6 volt to 12 volt and earlier someone brought up the point that I may need to get a new overdrive relay and solenoid for the 12 volts Im going to be running. Im a little embarrassed to ask but figure better now then realize I do or dont have what I need so here it goes.....How can I tell If I have overdrive or not??? I purchased the car not running and this is my first attempt at rebuilding a car. If I do need to get a new relay and solenoid, where should I begin my search and is it even necessary to run overdrive, Its just gonna be a cruiser for me. I have a 1949 champion 4 door sedan.

Overdrive is a much underrated blessing. Passing gear, (kick out of OD at 45 and go zooom) is great, loafing along at 70 with the engine just ticking over is pretty nice, too. These are things the people with 5 speed transmissions don't get, at least not without moving a gear shift.

12 Volt overdrive down NOT use a relay, it takes power straight from the battery, (fused, of course).

How can I tell If I have overdrive or not??? Look at the transmission. does it appear to have a front section and a rear section? If so, it's OD. Does it have a beer can sized sheet metal thing sticking out from the joint between the two sections, then it's an OD. If both of these answers are No, then it's just a regular 3 spd transmission.

[img=left]http://www.alink.com/personal/tbredehoft/Bothcars3.jpg[/img=left]
    Tom Bredehoft
    '53 Commander Coupe
    '55 President State Sedan Project
    '60 Lark VI (Now on the market)
    '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
    All Indiana built cars

Comment

A '49 Champion with overdrive would have a relay screwed to the firewall, attached by wires to a kickdown switch on the throttle bellcrank behind the carb; wires also running to the solenoid on the trans overdrive unit (the beer can Tom refers to). It would also have a lockout cable to the trans from a T-handle (marked OD) under the dash left side of steering column.

For whatever reason, much of this could have been removed or the trans may have been from a donor. The beer can (solenoid) would not have been removed or the trans lube would leak out.
      For local cruising you don't need overdrive. If you plan on doing any long distance cruising with that little flathead, OD is the way to go.
      Brad Johnson,
      SDC since 1975, ASC since 1990
      Pine Grove Mills, Pa.
      '33 Rockne 10, '51 Commander Starlight. '53 Commander Starlight
      '56 Sky Hawk in process

Comment

Rockne, not sure where the kickdown switch would be. On 12 V systems it's where you said. On my 53, the kickdown is inside the firewall with a plunger going through so tracing the wires is a bear. But there should be a relay on the firewall, above the steering column.

Tom Bredehoft
        '53 Commander Coupe
        '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
        All Indiana built cars

Comment

Thank you guys very much, I definitely do have od so Im gonna put all this together and figure something out. Sounds pretty important and worth my time. Ill probably have more questions so thank you for the quick help

Comment

quote:Originally posted by Tom B
            12 Volt overdrive down NOT use a relay, it takes power straight from the battery, (fused, of course).
            Tom Bredehoft
            '53 Commander Coupe
            '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
            All Indiana built cars
            Tom,

The 12 volt systems in '56 and '57 used O/D relays. IIRC, in '58 the system was changed to eliminate the O/D relay.

Paul

Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: http://hometown.aol.com/r1skytop/myhomepage/index.html
            Paul
            Winston-Salem, NC
            Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
            Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

The OD relay is on the firewall to the left of the voltage regulator. It has a fuse stuck onto it. As mentioned earlier, if you don't have a T handle under the dash that says "OD" you probably don't have overdrive.

1950 Champion
              Holdrege NE
              John
              1950 Champion
              W-3 4 Dr. Sedan
              Holdrege NE

Comment

It just goes to remind me that I don't know it all. One more time.

Thanks, Paul.

Tom Bredehoft
                '53 Commander Coupe
                '05 Legacy Ltd Wagon
                All Indiana built cars

Comment

Working...
                X