1938-1939 radio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1938-1939 radio

I am trying to find a radio that will be factory correct for a 1938 - 1939 coupe express. The dials would be mounted above the ash tray in the dash. I am assuming it would be the same as on the Commander or President. Does any one know what model radio was offered for this or is there someone out their that has radio delete plates? I would really like to install the radio if I could find one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

quote:Originally posted by Mike H

I am trying to find a radio that will be factory correct for a 1938 - 1939 coupe express. The dials would be mounted above the ash tray in the dash. I am assuming it would be the same as on the Commander or President. Does any one know what model radio was offered for this or is there someone out their that has radio delete plates? I would really like to install the radio if I could find one. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
    I have a '40 President radio here. It's Philco model S-1726. I don't have the Stude AC number for it. It has a small chrome faceplate about 1.5 by 4 inches, containing the dial scale and two small push buttons, flanked by two small round knobs on 5" centers. I could take a digital pic, if required. No speaker comes with it. I'm fairly sure I could make it play, and look good too. The chrome should shine up nicely, and the knobs are not all festered.

Gord Richmond, within Weasel range of the Alberta Badlands

Comment

Gord,

I don't believe this will work because I am envisioning the control unit and cables installed in the dash and the actual unit mounted up in below the dash. Radio's changed in 39 and while my CE is a 39 they used 38 cabs. Anyway I would like to see a picture or diagram you never know it might work. Thanks!

Mike H.

Comment

Gord,

I don't believe this will work because I am envisioning the control unit and cables installed in the dash and the actual unit mounted up in below the dash. Radio's changed in 39 and while my CE is a 39 they used 38 cabs. Anyway I would like to see a picture or diagram you never know it might work. Thanks!

Mike H.

1939 President radio. The two lower knobs beside the ashtray are light switches -- not part of the radio. From the tag I found in the glove box, I believe the radio is a Philco-Studebaker model S1626 that was handled by the Transitone Automobile Radio Corp. I have a picture of the radio delete blank if needed.

If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice. Lark Parker
        sigpic
        Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

The speaker is mounted in the middle, above the windshield.

If at first you don't succeed -- you will get a lot of advice. Lark Parker
          sigpic
          Lark Parker --Just an innocent possum strolling down life's highway.

Comment

Gord,

Mike H.
            Mike, here is a picture of the radio I have. It's not real clear in the picture, but the chrome faceplate sits about 3 inches closer to the camera than does the lower panel with the preset tuners in it. Left knob is on-off/volume, right knob is manual tuning, left pushbutton is sequential-select automatic tuning, and right pushbutton is high-low tone control. I have the cover for the tuning adjustments.

Radio is not in playing condition, but seems to be restorable. Six tubes in it.

Here:

Comment

Working...
            X