1961 studebaker champ p u

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1961 studebaker champ p u

I have a 1961 studebaker p u with flat head 6 cylinder engine 3 speed in tree, the motor is bad,

is is there a direct replacement engine or engine and transmission that I can get to bolt in to the same engine and transmission mounts to put in the truck.

i would like to make as little changes as possible but get a newer engine and or transmission

First off, welcome to the forum. You'll find lots of info and help here.
    The engine you have is one of the most common engines Studebaker made. The flat head 6 ran for decades, nearly unchanged. Its also one of the easiest to find because many folks choose to trade the 6 for either a Stude V8 or some other V8. I doubt you will have too much trouble finding one near you.
    Have you checked in with your local Stude club? There are lots of those folks who are ready to help, but do not frequent this forum. Give this a few days and lets see if we can find a replacement engine for you.
    And good luck with the project.
    And just for your information, you could replace with a Stude V8 without too much trouble. But thats just my opinion.
    sals54

Comment

I have a 1961 "T" cab 1/2 ton with a V8 (259)for sale.
      Has T85 non overdrive with floor shift conversion.
      Cab is toast and engine needs work no windshield or box.
      Not running but good for parts to convert to V8.
      $750.00 or offer . You haul!
      Robert Kapteyn Joliet IL.
      studebaker@mac.com

Comment

Charles, welcome to the SDC forum!

If your truck was originally a 6 cylinder 1961 Champ pickup, it would have had an overhead valve (OHV) engine instead of a flathead. There are several ways that your truck could have ended up with a flathead six. The original engine could have gone bad, and a earlier flathead was swapped in (pretty easy to do). Or, your truck could be a 1960 model that was sold in 1961 and titled as such.

Anyway, the easiest and quickest swap would be another Studebaker 170 six cylinder (either flathead or OHV). Or, with a little more work you could swap in a Studebaker V8, but would be best to have a parts truck (like the one Bob Kapteyn has for sale) since the mounts, bellhousing, transmission, etc are different for a V8.

Post a photo of your ID plate (should be located on the 'seat riser' just inside the left door) and we can verify the year and model of your truck.

Again, welcome to the forum Charles. You will find a lot of knowledgeable Studebaker folks here. Another great place is the Studebaker Truck Talk site at http://www.network54.com/Forum/23885 - lots of good folks there, and 99% Studebaker truck related.
        Last edited by r1lark; 10-07-2015, 05:14 AM. Reason: clarification
        Paul
        Winston-Salem, NC
        Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
        Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

R1lark hit the nail on the head.
          OHV 6: very easy.
          Stude V8: not hard, but a lot easier with a parts truck to donate the parts that are different.

Both swaps have been made hundreds of times.
          Skip Lackie

Comment

Studebaker p u

Originally posted by Charlesazbell View Post
            I have a 1961 studebaker p u with flat head 6 cylinder engine 3 speed in tree, the motor is bad,

is is there a direct replacement engine or engine and transmission that I can get to bolt in to the same engine and transmission mounts to put in the truck.

i would like to make as little changes as possible but get a newer engine and or transmission
            I am trying to rebuild from ground up

- - - Updated - - -

I am trying to rebuild from ground up on the p u

Comment

Well in THAT case, with the Body off of the frame a Stude. V8 replacement would be the way to go and easier.
              StudeRich
              Second Generation Stude Driver,
              Proud '54 Starliner Owner
              SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Working...
              X