32,410 mile Scotsman

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 32,410 mile Scotsman

Last year one of our members, James Stevens, bought a low mileage, but somewhat well used Scotsman pickup. I posted a few pictures on here at that time, but I can't find the post. Anyway, since that time Jimmy has been knocking dents out of the fenders, repairing brakes, and ...you know the drill. The truck isn't ready for a show, but the Commander six purrs and the truck looks much better. Our club had an outing today and Joe and I traveled the 70 miles each way with Jimmy and his son. The truck did great and ran faster on the highway than we had expected. Here are a few before and after pictures.
    Attached Files
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Post #7? http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...d-paint-colour

Craig

Comment

That'is a nice Truck,just get in it,drive it,and use it like a Truck should be used.
      Joseph R. Zeiger

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
        That may be the only place I posted about it. I thought I posted pictures and the whole story, but I may have it confused with the story I put in our chapter's newsletter. At any rate, he got the truck from an auction in South Dakota and it is had a genuine 32,000 miles with both sets of original keys. unfortunately, the previous owner beat the fenders and hood up quite a bit. The fenders have been fixed and the hood will be replaced by an NOS one he got with the truck.
        Searcy, Arkansas
        1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 63t-cab View Post
          That's a nice Truck,just get in it,drive it, and use it like a Truck should be used.
          Right now he's enjoying it mostly around town. Seeing him and his wife riding in it reminds us of when they were dating in his 49 2R years ago. I can assure you that, before he is done, it will be very nice. Interestingly, he planned to put a Studebaker V-8 in the truck, but the big six runs so smooth he changed his mind for now.
          Searcy, Arkansas
          1952 2R pickup

Comment

Nice looking truck.
            Do you know what the rear end ratio is?

Comment

I'll have to ask. The truck has a 4 speed and we expected the gearing to be low, but I didn't find out.
              Searcy, Arkansas
              1952 2R pickup

Comment

Turns out the rear gears are 3:73s. We were expecting 4:11s. He is thinking about a T5 5 speed transmission for the overdrive.
                Searcy, Arkansas
                1952 2R pickup

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
                  Right now he's enjoying it mostly around town. Seeing him and his wife riding in it reminds us of when they were dating in his 49 2R years ago. I can assure you that, before he is done, it will be very nice. Interestingly, he planned to put a Studebaker V-8 in the truck, but the big six runs so smooth he changed his mind for now.
                  I am glad he did change his mind. The Commander six is a great engine and geared right will have little trouble out on the open road. The idea of putting a T-5 tranny in that truck is intriguing. I really miss my old 2R6 and would love to have had it set up with that set up.
                  Joe Roberts
                  '61 R1 Champ
                  '65 Cruiser
                  Eastern North Carolina Chapter

Comment

Jimmy has been watching my brother drive his Transtar with the T-5 for a few years now and he is a believer. I am tempted to put one in my 52 Commander, but I really like rowing the column shifter.
                    Searcy, Arkansas
                    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Working...
                    X