Q&D Avanti Air Dam

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cool/Heat: Q&D Avanti Air Dam

When I purchased my 1963 Avanti R2, there was no radiator or shroud included in the transaction, so I installed an aluminum radiator and two 10" puller fans. As you might expect, the car ran hot because there was no engine-driven fan to draw air through the radiator. Also, since the Avanti is a "bottom-breather", only air below the bumper is used for cooling. But, most of the air below the bumper passes under the car because that route offers less resistance than going through the radiator fins. What I needed in order to persuade the air to go through the radiator rather than under the car was an air dam. I made a quick and dirty air dam from a 6" X 60" piece of 26 gauge steel, attaching it to the bottom of the radiator bracket and to the outer ends of the front fenders with modified corner brackets. Today, I got to test it by driving to a car show about 50 miles from home. The ambient temperature was about 85, the engine temperature a steady 180. Here's what the crude-but-effective air dam looks like. It angles slightly backwards because it follows the slope of the radiator bracket, but it still serves the purpose. My car seems to be higher than most Avantis, so the bottom of the air dam is still six inches from the ground. I did trim the top of the air dam where it protruded above the lower valance, but that is probably not necessary.Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Air Dam.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	115.5 KB
ID:	1748759Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Air Dam 2.jpg
Size:	125.1 KB
ID:	1748760Click image for larger version

Name:	Avanti Air Dam 3.jpg
Size:	106.8 KB
ID:	1748761
    Last edited by GinettaG12P; 10-03-2015, 07:28 PM. Reason: typo

Do you remember where you purchased the radiator , and did you have any problems installing it. my radiator is leaking quite badly and as a weight saving measure I'm thinking about using an aluminum one. Thanks tom C.

63 Avanti R1 Auto/ AC

Comment

Hey, good for you!...Those air dams really do help 'at speed' on the Avantis!....If you wanted, you could probably narrow it a bit and get the same effect.

Comment

Originally posted by Cantral2 View Post
        Do you remember where you purchased the radiator , and did you have any problems installing it. my radiator is leaking quite badly and as a weight saving measure I'm thinking about using an aluminum one. Thanks tom C.

63 Avanti R1 Auto/ AC

Comment

Here's a clean, simple, inexpensive install: http://www.aoai.org/forums/index.php...441&hl=air+dam

While there may not be any Saturn dealers anymore, any GM dealer can order it.
          KURTRUK
          (read it backwards)

Nothing is politically right which is morally wrong. -A. Lincoln

Comment

Ginetta -

For what it may be worth, the expanded metal you put in front of the radiator...it is...keeping a fair amount of air from entering the core.

It's east to figure out how much. Just figure out how much metal is there, square inches wise. Then subtract that amount from the radiator core size. you then see how much you have reduced the core size by.

I'd bet, the core square inches has been reduced by somewhere near 1/4 because of the expanded metal cover.
            Heavy screen would protect the core nearly as well, without plugging up the air path so much.

Just a thought...

Mike

Comment

The Saturn deflector works well but are getting hard to come by. If you think you want one I start looking pronto, the last ones found were on Ebay. Bob

Comment

Working...
              X