Another thing yous shouldn't let friends do

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another thing yous shouldn't let friends do

For those with Studebaker trucks, you know not to let anyone close or open your hood.
    My best friend of 25 years and I went to Daytona yesterday and he went to close the upper tailgate of my wagon. He didn't know the hinges lock. He proved that you can override the locks, unfortunately it snaps the hinge in half.
    This was the first time in 25 years I was annoyed at him and kind of snapped out. As I thought about it later and balanced it out...25 years or 50 bucks for a hinge, the friendship had no challenge.
    So, if you have a wagon, either don't lock the hinges or keep others away from it.

Norm
    58 Transtar 1 ton dually PU
    58 2 door wagon
    Davenport, Fl
    Norm
    58 2 door wagon
    Davenport, Fl

Hey Norm, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm glad I got to meet you in Daytona. I wanted to talk to you some more but looked around and you were gone. Is the wagon for sale? broken hinge and all? give me a shout. NT

Neil Thornton
    Hazlehurst, GA
    '57 Silver Hawk
    '56 Sky Hawk
    '51 2R16 dump truck
    Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Hey Norm, Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I'm glad I got to meet you in Daytona. I wanted to talk to you some more but looked around and you were gone. Is the wagon for sale? broken hinge and all? give me a shout. NT

Neil Thornton
      Hazlehurst, GA
      '57 Silver Hawk
      '56 Sky Hawk
      '51 2R16 dump truck
      Many others.

Neil Thornton

Comment

Funny about them being tough to find. I bought both - NOS - from SASCO last summer![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
        the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
        1960 Larkvertible V8
        1958 Provincial wagon
        1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Funny about them being tough to find. I bought both - NOS - from SASCO last summer![:0]

Miscreant adrift in
          the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
          1960 Larkvertible V8
          1958 Provincial wagon
          1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Even worse is when a the guy doing the safety inspection decides to check the bright headlights by pulling back on the turn signal arm so that it breaks off! Our pulls the knob off when turning on the headlights. Needless to say I told him in no uncertain terms to get out of my truck and I will be the only one to turn anything off and on. He, naturally, replied that the law said he had to do it. I asked him if the law required him to break stuff! I still was the one to turn stuff on and off for the rest of the inspection! Thank goodness a law was passed right after that that exempts vehicles from safety inspection if they are 35 years old or older.

Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser
            Editor of "The Down Easterner"
            Eastern North Carolina Chapter
            Joe Roberts
            '61 R1 Champ
            '65 Cruiser

Comment

Even worse is when a the guy doing the safety inspection decides to check the bright headlights by pulling back on the turn signal arm so that it breaks off! Our pulls the knob off when turning on the headlights. Needless to say I told him in no uncertain terms to get out of my truck and I will be the only one to turn anything off and on. He, naturally, replied that the law said he had to do it. I asked him if the law required him to break stuff! I still was the one to turn stuff on and off for the rest of the inspection! Thank goodness a law was passed right after that that exempts vehicles from safety inspection if they are 35 years old or older.

Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser
              Editor of "The Down Easterner"
              Joe Roberts
              '61 R1 Champ
              '65 Cruiser

Comment

Must be the season for hinge eat'n. My wife had some "help" unloading some stuff at work about a week ago, the helper decided to close the upper tail gate on the wagon, same results as yours. Not sure of the need to lock it in the up position, but it was, and one hinge got all bent up. SASCO has um for under $50 each, I installed 2 new hinges (305162, 305163) yesterday along with 4 new rubber bumpers (1314620), made a big difference, it now closes in much better alignment.
                I too got bent out of shape at the kid (dishwasher at restaurant) at first, but made amends later that day. Made a new friend, and got new hinges to boot.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
                Ross.
                Riverside, Ca.
                1957 Provincial X2
                1958 Transtar
                sigpic
                Ross.
                Riverside, Ca.
                1957 Provincial X2
                1958 Transtar

Comment

Must be the season for hinge eat'n. My wife had some "help" unloading some stuff at work about a week ago, the helper decided to close the upper tail gate on the wagon, same results as yours. Not sure of the need to lock it in the up position, but it was, and one hinge got all bent up. SASCO has um for under $50 each, I installed 2 new hinges (305162, 305163) yesterday along with 4 new rubber bumpers (1314620), made a big difference, it now closes in much better alignment.
                  I too got bent out of shape at the kid (dishwasher at restaurant) at first, but made amends later that day. Made a new friend, and got new hinges to boot.

[img=left]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g27/Rosstude/OldWorld2005002.jpg[/img=left]
                  Ross.
                  Riverside, Ca.
                  1957 Provincial X2
                  1958 Transtar
                  sigpic
                  Ross.
                  Riverside, Ca.
                  1957 Provincial X2
                  1958 Transtar

Comment

Yep, one is on the way from SASCO as we write.
                    I only locked the left. Funny thing is I usually don't lock either.
                    I have probably broken some of Dales Model A stuff over the years.
                    He does keep reminding me of the time I took the light away at night while we were scrounging trusses from a garage we were tearing dowm, and he fell through the open hole. Maybee I'm still one or two up on him.

Norm
                    58 2 door wagon
                    Davenport, Fl
                    Norm
                    58 2 door wagon
                    Davenport, Fl

Comment

Yep, one is on the way from SASCO as we write.
                      I only locked the left. Funny thing is I usually don't lock either.
                      I have probably broken some of Dales Model A stuff over the years.
                      He does keep reminding me of the time I took the light away at night while we were scrounging trusses from a garage we were tearing dowm, and he fell through the open hole. Maybee I'm still one or two up on him.

Norm
                      58 2 door wagon
                      Davenport, Fl
                      Norm
                      58 2 door wagon
                      Davenport, Fl

Comment

Norm,
                        Post a couple of pics of your '58 Transtar when you have a few minutes.[]

<h5>Mark
                        '57 Transtar
                        3E-6/7-122
                        </h5>

Mark Hayden
                        '66 Commander

Comment

Norm,
                          Post a couple of pics of your '58 Transtar when you have a few minutes.[]

<h5>Mark
                          '57 Transtar
                          3E-6/7-122
                          </h5>

Mark Hayden
                          '66 Commander

Comment

I actually haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I did post some on the studebaker truck page, with a video

Norm
                            58 2 door wagon
                            Davenport, Fl
                            Norm
                            58 2 door wagon
                            Davenport, Fl

Comment

I actually haven't figured out how to post pics yet. I did post some on the studebaker truck page, with a video

Norm
                              58 2 door wagon
                              Davenport, Fl
                              Norm
                              58 2 door wagon
                              Davenport, Fl

Comment

Working...
                              X