Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Install air conditioning in any Studebaker w/o significant modifications!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install air conditioning in any Studebaker w/o significant modifications!

This (below) came to me via Frank Ambrogio's 56J only newsletter (for 1956 Golden Hawk owners). Curious to know if anyone has had any experience with it? Looks to be a little more efficient than the old swamp coolers and undoubtedly a little more expensive.

Click image for larger version

Name:	air conditioner.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	154.5 KB
ID:	1748741
    Richard Quinn
    Editor emeritus: Antique Studebaker Review

I didn't know they were available commercially. That type of cooler has been around for a while. People usually make their own from an ice chest and spare parts. The one in the ad is a bit neater looking, but the concept is the same. https://www.pinterest.com/nettasikes...-air-condition
    The troublesome part would be keeping a supply of ice in the cooler because of the hot air being circulated through all the time.
    "In the heart of Arkansas."
    Searcy, Arkansas
    1952 Commander 2 door. Really fine 259.
    1952 2R pickup

Comment

Isn't that just about how they "inter-cooled" the Ron Hall Avanti?
      An ice chest, that is.

Comment

Originally posted by 52-fan View Post
        I didn't know they were available commercially. That type of cooler has been around for a while. People usually make their own from an ice chest and spare parts. The one in the ad is a bit neater looking, but the concept is the same. https://www.pinterest.com/nettasikes...-air-condition
        The troublesome part would be keeping a supply of ice in the cooler because of the hot air being circulated through all the time.
        Good call. You beat me to it. You can make one of these for about $15. Get a styro ice chest, a large PVC 90* elbow, and a small portable 12v fan that you can plug into your cigarette lighter. Done. Cheap. Easy. Youtube has many "how to" videos. As you drive through town, stop and get fresh ice every 3 hours or so. Unless you're trying to use it as a daily driver, this is a very handy way to have cool air while traveling to meets, meetings etc. Not a great way to AC your car for every day driving, though.
        sals54

Comment

This work well in a desert environment. In the southeast it's not too good.
          I the same concept in NTC Ft Erwin on a desert exercise back in '02. Worked well there.

Think "Swamp Cooler"

There was a window cooler option that could be had from some aftermarketer that worked similarly

Comment

We turned 4 large bags of ice to water in less than 2 minutes at Bonneville. It was an ice chest with a small marine bilge pump.
            james r pepper

Comment

The system in RQ's pic is nice because it is a 'dry' system.
              (The old 'swamp coolers' put a lot of humidity into the car).

In 'The Black Car', I am running a 'Cool Shirt' system (for me) that has chilled water for the shirt (or balaclava or pants) and an air tube for the helmet.

For the engine, there is the air/water intercooler.. That cools the inles air a lot and allows more fuel to be added to the mixture..

(In the engine bay is the air/water heat exchanger)

(in the trunk is the tank and pump)

Last edited by DEEPNHOCK; 10-05-2015, 07:26 AM.
              HTIH (Hope The Info Helps)

Jeff

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. Mark Twain

Note: SDC# 070190 (and earlier...)

Comment

Jeff - I appreciate the nice quality of the work pictured.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                X