All Black 55 speedster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All Black 55 speedster

does any one have any idea how many 55 speedster's were all black? number P2674 Shasta Black.
    Candbstudebakers
    Castro Valley,
    California

Thirteen (13) confirmed, Bob; all in South Bend.

Another 7 Speedsters were built in South Bend for which the colors are either experimental or unknown, so there could be one or more black ones among that group, too.

No black or unknown or experimental for Vernon CA production.

All this per Dick Quinn's article in the September 1998 Turning Wheels Almanac. BP
    We've got to quit saying, "How stupid can you be?" Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

G. K. Chesterton: This triangle of truisms, of father, mother, and child, cannot be destroyed; it can only destroy those civilizations which disregard it.

Comment

13 people ordered black Speedsters? In 55 when two-tones, tri-tones and pastels were popular, black was still cool for outlaws. My first 55 Commander was factory black and my present 55 Commander was factory black.
      Dave Warren (Perry Mason by day, Perry Como by night)

Comment

9 or 10 years ago I was in contact with a woman that had her farthers all black speedster in so. sac. Same old story ( it was dads and means alot to me) so it sat rotting away then moved.

Comment

The original owner of my Superlark had a Speedster after he sold me the Lark. It was a dark metallic green with a white top and off white leather seats. It was nice looking but I have never seen one like it. I often wondered if that was original. He partially destroyed the car then sold it in 1969.
          james r pepper

Comment

Originally posted by jpepper View Post
            The original owner of my Superlark had a Speedster after he sold me the Lark. It was a dark metallic green with a white top and off white leather seats. It was nice looking but I have never seen one like it. I often wondered if that was original. He partially destroyed the car then sold it in 1969.
            Do you remember the serial number of it? RQ's post #2 here ---> http://forum.studebakerdriversclub.c...-on-Speedsters shows a Speedster was painted green & white.

Craig

Comment

My 1955 Speedster was tri-color (neopolitan ice cream) and still in its original paint when I sold it. Two owners later, it turned to all black.
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                does any one have any idea how many 55 speedster's were all black? number P2674 Shasta Black.
                I do not have 1955 paint color names or codes available here. I know that in 1955 the white was Shasta White. In 1954 black was Velvet Black. Did Velvet Black change to Shasta Black for 1955? What is code P2674? Perhaps it is for a Velvet Black and Shasta White two-tone.
                Gary L.
                Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                  I do not have 1955 paint color names or codes available here. I know that in 1955 the white was Shasta White. In 1954 black was Velvet Black. Did Velvet Black change to Shasta Black for 1955? What is code P2674? Perhaps it is for a Velvet Black and Shasta White two-tone.
                  P2674 is the two tone combination for 'Shasta White'/Velvet Black'; not 'Shasta Black' to describe one color. (See RQ's link I posted above)

I know some production orders do read 'P2674 Shasta Black' on them, and it can be misleading to some.

Craig

Comment

I know of one here in Sacramento. But its been a while since I've seen it. Last I saw it, it was stored in a warehouse downtown. That was in 2013
                    sals54

Comment

Originally posted by candbstudebakers View Post
                      As Craig and I have pointed out, that would be a two-tone car, Shasta White and Velvet Black (P2674), not all black.
                      Gary L.
                      Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Since we're discussing 'all black' '55 Speedsters, Ill again post a few photos of my own President Speedster, (The Doctor's Car), which is one of the original thirteen monotone (solid velvet black) Speedsters.

The Doctor ordered the hood center moulding and the front fender top ornaments deleted from his Speedster at the factory, which in all probability makes this car a 'One and Only!

As much as I like my Speedster, I honestly feel the two-tone examples are the sharpest looking!
                        Attached Files
                        Last edited by SN-60; 09-29-2015, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Were the skirts from the factory or a later addition?
                          Don Wilson, Centralia, WA

40 Champion 4 door*
                          50 Champion 2 door*
                          53 Commander K Auto*
                          53 Commander K overdrive*
                          55 President Speedster
                          62 GT 4Speed*
                          63 Avanti R1*
                          64 Champ 1/2 ton

* Formerly owned

Comment

Thats a fine looking Doctormobile, thats fer sher.
                            sals54

Comment

Originally posted by ddub View Post
                              Were the skirts from the factory or a later addition?
                              I located the skirts about twelve years ago, painted and installed them...the car looks completely different without them installed.

Comment

Working...
                              X