Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Look over Columbus, OH President for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Look over Columbus, OH President for me?

Hi
    This '57 President Classic is Craigslisted in the Columbus,OH area which is 400 miles from me.

Is anyone near there willing to take a look at the car and give me a good description of the rust problems it has. I can see the rockers are bad and there is fill in the studebakeritis area and eyebrows, possibly the front edge of the rear quarters.
    The frame, floors, body mounts and door bottoms are the most concern.

I'm still looking for a decent driver condition '56-'57 President Classic in this price range and more but don't want a rusty, unmaintained car.
    If it turns out to be a good car though I wouldn't be mad if you decide to buy it for yourself.

Thanks
    Steve

Steve,

A couple of thoughts. There is a relatively new airline by the name of Skybus that has Columbus as its hub. If I recall, at least several of the seats go for $10 a pop every flight. Also, it seems odd that there are no pictures of the left side of the car. This one seems to have some rust and note his comment about the loose B pillar.

The wheels look very similar to the ones on my Ford Explorer.

Gary

Comment

Steve,

A couple of thoughts. There is a relatively new airline by the name of Skybus that has Columbus as its hub. If I recall, at least several of the seats go for $10 a pop every flight. Also, it seems odd that there are no pictures of the left side of the car. This one seems to have some rust and note his comment about the loose B pillar.

The wheels look very similar to the ones on my Ford Explorer.

Gary

Comment

He doesn't seem to know that the car is a President Classic. Maybe he doesn't know that there is a big difference from a President to a President Classic.
        The interior is the same as my turquoise and white '57 President Classic. The seat looks unusually good for that rare interior. I do not believe that that interior material is being reproduced.
        The "louvers" are mising off the side.

Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
        Studebaker enthusiast much longer
        Gary L.
        Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

He doesn't seem to know that the car is a President Classic. Maybe he doesn't know that there is a big difference from a President to a President Classic.
          The interior is the same as my turquoise and white '57 President Classic. The seat looks unusually good for that rare interior. I do not believe that that interior material is being reproduced.
          The "louvers" are mising off the side.

Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
          Gary L.
          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Too bad he's so fixated with the dash! Otherwise he could have put up some meaningful shots of the car.

Miscreant adrift in
            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
            1960 Larkvertible V8
            1958 Provincial wagon
            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Too bad he's so fixated with the dash! Otherwise he could have put up some meaningful shots of the car.

Miscreant adrift in
              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
              1960 Larkvertible V8
              1958 Provincial wagon
              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Hi Garys

I just came to on where I might have seen this car advertised before and even found my notes on that contact.

It was advertised in '03-'04 by a used car dealer in Mansfield,OH for $1,650 on CollectorCarTraderOnLine. My notes from a call to the dealer were that it "showed 44K miles, ran well, came from an estate auction along with a '60 Lark convertible, had rust in the usual places: over the headlights, rear edge of the front fenders, spots in the floors, c-pillars behind the rear doors, last licensed in the mid '80's.

This car was listed about a month ago on the Columbus Craigslist for $1,700, but no pictures in that ad. That ad also listed it as having 45K miles. When I sent the seller a list of questions, I received no answer and the listing disappeared shortly thereafter.

I think maybe the current seller bought it with the idea of reselling it for a little profit. I suppose he might have bought it for $1,200-$1,500, hoping there is some unknowledgeable fellow out there will willingly give more for a rusty car. I am a little cynical when it come to these guys that have no interest in the car and too much money to play with. But that's just me.

You are right, it is missing the louvers off the rear quarters and the seller doesn't seem to know that it is a President Classic model.
                Thanks for the feedback. Think this is one to pass on again.
                Steve

Comment

Hi Garys

I just came to on where I might have seen this car advertised before and even found my notes on that contact.

It was advertised in '03-'04 by a used car dealer in Mansfield,OH for $1,650 on CollectorCarTraderOnLine. My notes from a call to the dealer were that it "showed 44K miles, ran well, came from an estate auction along with a '60 Lark convertible, had rust in the usual places: over the headlights, rear edge of the front fenders, spots in the floors, c-pillars behind the rear doors, last licensed in the mid '80's.

This car was listed about a month ago on the Columbus Craigslist for $1,700, but no pictures in that ad. That ad also listed it as having 45K miles. When I sent the seller a list of questions, I received no answer and the listing disappeared shortly thereafter.

I think maybe the current seller bought it with the idea of reselling it for a little profit. I suppose he might have bought it for $1,200-$1,500, hoping there is some unknowledgeable fellow out there will willingly give more for a rusty car. I am a little cynical when it come to these guys that have no interest in the car and too much money to play with. But that's just me.

You are right, it is missing the louvers off the rear quarters and the seller doesn't seem to know that it is a President Classic model.
                  Thanks for the feedback. Think this is one to pass on again.
                  Steve

Comment

Working...
                  X