First gear start Powershift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First gear start Powershift

I noticed a $1100 receipt for Caesar's Powershift rebuild that mentioned a first gear start modification. Dave T-Bow does some part swapping to make a first gear start Powershift and I just got around to playing with it some more. If you put it in drive, it just shifts like a stock unit, but put it in "2" and it goes 1-2-3. It makes a big difference in the throttle responses and driving feel. I need to tweak the throttle pressure adjustment a bit since it's a bit late in upshifts at light throttle. (1 to 2 at around 20 MPH, 2-3 at 40 MPH with light throttle) With that adjustment it waits to hit the red line before it does a automatic drag strip upshift.

JDP/Maryland
    63 R2 SuperHawk (Caesar)
    spent to date $54664,75
    64 R2 GT (Sid)
    spent to date $62,439.30
    63 Lark 2 door
    52 Starliner
    51 Commander
    39 Coupe express
    39 Coupe express (rod)

JDP Maryland

I wonder how you get it to downshift to second with second already going to 3, would you have to use Low to get back to 2nd.? Also you could not "hold" second.

While it would be neat to have low gear start, I am not sure I would like that setup, the Flight-O-Matics work properly with the Truck or 6 Cyl. valve body for low gear start.

I think it is odd, that it does not do 1,2,3 in Drive with the mod.

StudeRich
    Studebakers Northwest
    Ferndale, WA
    StudeRich
    Second Generation Stude Driver,
    Proud '54 Starliner Owner
    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

I wonder how you get it to downshift to second with second already going to 3, would you have to use Low to get back to 2nd.? Also you could not "hold" second.

While it would be neat to have low gear start, I am not sure I would like that setup, the Flight-O-Matics work properly with the Truck or 6 Cyl. valve body for low gear start.

I think it is odd, that it does not do 1,2,3 in Drive with the mod.

StudeRich
      Studebakers Northwest
      Ferndale, WA
      StudeRich
      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

We had trouble 'kicking down' into 'passing gear' when recently testing our 64 Hawk, actually it wouldn't shift down, period.

Slightly different scenario that yours, JP...but evenutally realized that we had all 3 gears in selector position 'D', ( postions 1 & 2 gave us 1st and 2nd properley)

Another modified powershift (actually came out of a 63 Avanti)

Barry Leppan
        Burlington, Ont. Canada
        64 Daytona HT 5-spd
        64 GT Hawk R-1/AC/Powershift
        Barry Leppan
        Ontario, Canada
        64 Daytona R-1 Convertible & 64 GT Hawk R-1
        GT Hawk Registry & SDC, Hamilton Chapter [IMG]

Comment

We had trouble 'kicking down' into 'passing gear' when recently testing our 64 Hawk, actually it wouldn't shift down, period.

Slightly different scenario that yours, JP...but evenutally realized that we had all 3 gears in selector position 'D', ( postions 1 & 2 gave us 1st and 2nd properley)

Another modified powershift (actually came out of a 63 Avanti)

Barry Leppan
          Burlington, Ont. Canada
          64 Daytona HT 5-spd
          Barry Leppan
          Ontario, Canada

Comment

John - I would suggest contacting Dave T. to see if this is the way that it should work.
            I never heard of one starting that way. Normally, when they are converted, they go 1-2-3 in D.

Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
            Studebaker enthusiast much longer
            Gary L.
            Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

John - I would suggest contacting Dave T. to see if this is the way that it should work.
              I never heard of one starting that way. Normally, when they are converted, they go 1-2-3 in D.

Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
              Gary L.
              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968

Comment

Barry,

If I recall correctly, the Powershift will not kick down for 2nd to 1st gear like a Flightomatic will. I know that neither of the Powershifts that I have owned would. You need to manually select 1st gear.

Jim Bradley
                '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                Jim Bradley
                Lake Monticello, VA
                '78 Avanti II
                sigpic

Comment

Barry,

If I recall correctly, the Powershift will not kick down for 2nd to 1st gear like a Flightomatic will. I know that neither of the Powershifts that I have owned would. You need to manually select 1st gear.

Jim Bradley
                  '64 Daytona HT "Rerun"
                  Jim Bradley
                  Lake Monticello, VA
                  '78 Avanti II
                  sigpic

Comment

Jim; I think you are misreading Barry's post. He says he can manually go down to 2nd. and Low just fine, but it will not kickdown from 3 rd. to 2nd. which usually is a throttle pressure adjustment issue.

But in a modified low gear start Trans. ,anything is possible, as JDP is finding out! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Barry,
                    StudeRich
                    Studebakers Northwest
                    Ferndale, WA
                    StudeRich
                    SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Jim; I think you are misreading Barry's post. He says he can manually go down to 2nd. and Low just fine, but it will not kickdown from 3 rd. to 2nd. which usually is a throttle pressure adjustment issue.

But in a modified low gear start Trans. ,anything is possible, as JDP is finding out! [:0]

quote:Originally posted by Rerun

Barry,
                      StudeRich
                      Studebakers Northwest
                      Ferndale, WA
                      StudeRich
                      SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

Hi Jim,
                        Richard is correct,.. it was while in D that we couldn't kick down,.. did find out from the chap who did the rebuild that because we have a tranny with a modulator valve,(Uncle Pauls old one) we must disconnect the kick down rod on the carb...does that make sense?

We did this on the day we were putting the cars into storage and didnt have time to play with it any further..

We all enjoyed visiting with you and Rosemary in Reedsville,

Barry

Barry Leppan
                        Burlington, Ont. Canada
                        64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                        Barry Leppan
                        Ontario, Canada

Comment

Hi Jim,
                          Richard is correct,.. it was while in D that we couldn't kick down,.. did find out from the chap who did the rebuild that because we have a tranny with a modulator valve,(Uncle Pauls old one) we must disconnect the kick down rod on the carb...does that make sense?

We did this on the day we were putting the cars into storage and didnt have time to play with it any further..

We all enjoyed visiting with you and Rosemary in Reedsville,

Barry

Barry Leppan
                          Burlington, Ont. Canada
                          64 Daytona HT 5-spd
                          Barry Leppan
                          Ontario, Canada

Comment

Working...
                          X