Hot Rod's Hot Rodding the Compacts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod's Hot Rodding the Compacts

While looking for something to read the other day, I reached into a box of old magazines and pulled out the April '63 issue of Hot Rod. In it, they are advertising a book (for a buck!) titled Hot Rodding the Compacts. Included is the Lark. Anybody have a copy of this? I am curious what they wrote regarding hot rodding the Lark.
    As a side note, the same issue has a picture of a '62 Daytona running in F/stock at the NHRA drags in Freemont, Ca. Car ran a 15.45 quarter, as was sponsored by Pierotti Motors.

Eric DeRosa

'49 2R-5 (original Survivor)
    '63 R2 Lark (barely surviving)
    Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
    \'60 Lark Convertible

I lived in Fremont in the 80's. Pierotti Motors was there then...selling Chrysler products. I attended many races at Fremont including their last. The track is all businesses and houses now...as is the glider port that was just to the south of the track. Sea level track...cool dense air. Pretty fast [8D].

<h5>Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA</h5>
    Dick Steinkamp
    Bellingham, WA

Comment

I lived in Fremont in the 80's. Pierotti Motors was there then...selling Chrysler products. I attended many races at Fremont including their last. The track is all businesses and houses now...as is the glider port that was just to the south of the track. Sea level track...cool dense air. Pretty fast [8D].

<h5>Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA</h5>
      Dick Steinkamp
      Bellingham, WA

Comment

Grew up in Fremont, Dad raced his 58 Goldenhawk there and the Twin also.

Comment

Grew up in Fremont, Dad raced his 58 Goldenhawk there and the Twin also.

Comment

I searched on eBay. Didn't find a 63 issue, but found a 62 issue. I decided to buy it. I will let you know what it says about the Lark when I get it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

I searched on eBay. Didn't find a 63 issue, but found a 62 issue. I decided to buy it. I will let you know what it says about the Lark when I get it.

Leonard Shepherd

Comment

While you were looking through that April '63 HRM did you see the feature on Doug McCauley's Stude pickup?

Dwain G.
                Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

While you were looking through that April '63 HRM did you see the feature on Doug McCauley's Stude pickup?

Dwain G.
                  Restorations by Skip Towne

Comment

Dwain,

I sure did see the C-cab...pretty interesting that it was still powered by a Champ 6!

Eric DeRosa

Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                    \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

Dwain,

I sure did see the C-cab...pretty interesting that it was still powered by a Champ 6!

Eric DeRosa

Eric DeRosa

\'63 R2 Lark
                      \'60 Lark Convertible

Comment

I remember reading the article about racing the compacts.Three larks prepared by Holman and Moody were entered in the race along with all other make of compacts including 3.8 engine jaguars.The writer seemed to have a bias against the larks because he referedto them as lumbering juggernalts as the leaned thru the corners and claimed larks had an unfair advantage because they were v-8s.The fastest cars on the track were the 3.8 jags and the larks and battled each other for the lead thruout the race with a lark leading on the last lap when it blew a tire the jag won. I think larks finished in top 5 or 6.Another article I read said it was difficult to figure the performance potential of stude v-8 as one lark was taching the equivelent 128 mph down the back straighaway . This was written before stude came up with avanti engines.
                        NEIL G.

Comment

I remember reading the article about racing the compacts.Three larks prepared by Holman and Moody were entered in the race along with all other make of compacts including 3.8 engine jaguars.The writer seemed to have a bias against the larks because he referedto them as lumbering juggernalts as the leaned thru the corners and claimed larks had an unfair advantage because they were v-8s.The fastest cars on the track were the 3.8 jags and the larks and battled each other for the lead thruout the race with a lark leading on the last lap when it blew a tire the jag won. I think larks finished in top 5 or 6.Another article I read said it was difficult to figure the performance potential of stude v-8 as one lark was taching the equivelent 128 mph down the back straighaway . This was written before stude came up with avanti engines.
                          NEIL G.

Comment

Now THAT'S a race I would love to have seen! Wonder if there's footage of it somewhere? I'd be surprized if it hadn't been filmed.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                            the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                            1960 Larkvertible V8
                            1958 Provincial wagon
                            1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Now THAT'S a race I would love to have seen! Wonder if there's footage of it somewhere? I'd be surprized if it hadn't been filmed.[}]

Miscreant adrift in
                              the BerStuda Triangle

1957 Transtar 1/2ton
                              1960 Larkvertible V8
                              1958 Provincial wagon
                              1953 Commander coupe

No deceptive flags to prove I'm patriotic - no biblical BS to impress - just ME and Studebakers - as it should be.

Comment

Working...
                              X