Holman-Moody Studebaker Larks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holman-Moody Studebaker Larks

I was able to get the build information for the Studebakers that raced at Sebering in 1959. They were prepared by Holman-Moody and Curtis Turner and Fireball Roberts were both drivers.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lark.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	1748714

Name:	Lark_1.jpg
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	1748715

Name:	Lark_4.jpg
Size:	78.4 KB
ID:	1748716
    Current Automotive Technology Student @ Pittsburg State University

Very interesting, thanks for posting.

Not sure what number 21 on second page meant: "Distributor body cut to act as oil pump." Any idea on what this modification consisted of?
    Paul
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Visit The Studebaker Skytop Registry website at: www.studebakerskytop.com
    Check out my YouTube channel here: https://www.youtube.com/user/r1lark

Comment

So how well did these Larks do at Sebring?
      1963 Champ "Stu Bludebaker"- sometimes driver
      1957 Silver Hawk "Josie"- picking up the pieces after an unreliable body man let it rot for 11 years from an almost driver to a basket case
      1951 Land Cruiser "Bunnie Ketcher" only 47M miles!
      1951 Commander Starlight "Dale"- basket case
      1947 Champion "Sally"- basket case
      1941 Commander Land Cruiser "Ursula"- basket case

Comment

I noted that the pages you have tagged Lark_1 and Lark_4. Is there a Lark_2 and 3?

Comment

I don't know if anyone has this magazine, but I just popped on it on ebay. If it arrives in the next couple of days, I'll post any info I find.
          sals54

Comment

Thread moved to the General board... please use Tech Talk only for asking and answering technical questions regarding members' cars. Thanks!

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

The John Holman-Ralph Moody race shop always did it right!....Their 'Competition Proven' NASCAR Fords of the mid sixties were usually unbeatable. Anyone thinking of souping up a Studebaker V8 should pay close attention to the way they did it.

Thanks for posting these rare Studebaker 259 V8 build pages from '59!

Comment

I visited the HM shop in Charlotte and they let me look at the Studebaker file. Still had the canceled checks to Fireball Roberts and the other drivers plus all the old notes and Studebaker build sheets. On one visit I talked to one of the mechanics who helped build the cars. HM also had a station wagon to haul parts. All the information HM had is in those files.
                Jack White
                Jack White
                Charlotte,NC
                North Carolina Studebaker Drivers Club

Comment

That cover art is outstanding!
                  Diesel loving, autocrossing, Coupe express loving, Grandpa Architect.

Comment

Be really interesting to see how they fabricated those oil drain backs from the heads. And the valley openings completely closed off?
                    Anyone else here ever tried, or had any experience with this modification? Seems like this modifiation would REALLY cut down on crankcase windage and oil aeration.

Comment

Originally posted by Jessie J. View Post
                      Be really interesting to see how they fabricated those oil drain backs from the heads. And the valley openings completely closed off?
                      Anyone else here ever tried, or had any experience with this modification? Seems like this modifiation would REALLY cut down on crankcase windage and oil aeration.
                      The most common way of installing auxiliary drains for the top of the heads is through the valve covers. Place a drain tube at the rear most corner of the valve cover and run a line directly into the oil pan.
                      As far as blocking the lifters, its been an advised mod for Studes for many decades.
                      But blocking the valley openings? I don't get that one. How then does the oil in the valley get back to the pan? What am I missing?
                      sals54

Comment

Originally posted by sals54 View Post
                        The most common way of installing auxiliary drains for the top of the heads is through the valve covers. Place a drain tube at the rear most corner of the valve cover and run a line directly into the oil pan.
                        As far as blocking the lifters, its been an advised mod for Studes for many decades.
                        But blocking the valley openings? I don't get that one. How then does the oil in the valley get back to the pan? What am I missing?

Go back and look at item #21 on sheet 3.

Comment

I have discussed these Larks in other topics/threads here (SDC Forum). These Larks also raced in the Petit LeMans at Lime Rock Park in Lime Rock, Connecticut. For that race, they were tuned/worked on at Jocko's Speed Shop in Poughkeepsie, NY. Jocko senior drove one of the Larks and Jocko junior was at the shop and at the race. Jocko senior and junior were both stock car drivers. I interviewed Jocko junior many years ago (senior had long since passed). We talked at length and he gave me many pictures. I submitted everything to the Turning Wheels Editor. Like most of what I have submitteed to various Turning Wheels Editors, it was not used in Turning Wheels. I did not retain copies. Jocko's speed shop has since burned down. I assume that all of the records and pictures burned up in the fire as the shop was a complete loss down to the ground.
                          Gary L.
                          Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                          Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Originally posted by studegary View Post
                            We talked at length and he gave me many pictures. I submitted everything to the Turning Wheels Editor. Like most of what I have submitteed to various Turning Wheels Editors, it was not used in Turning Wheels. I did not retain copies.
                            I would sure like to see you get these items back!

Who was it submitted to? Art Unger/Ann Turner or Larry Swanson? In either case, it would not hurt to go after the one you sent all your information to, insist they locate it and get it published, and then ensure its safe return.

Craig

Comment

Originally posted by 8E45E View Post
                              I would sure like to see you get these items back!

Who was it submitted to? Art Unger/Ann Turner or Larry Swanson? In either case, it would not hurt to go after the one you sent all your information to, insist they locate it and get it published, and then ensure its safe return.

Craig
                              Those items went to neither Editor that you mention. They went to Linda Fox (when she was TW Editor). When I tried to get them back, I believe that she had forwarded them to someone that asked about these Larks.
                              I had sent numerous things to Art Unger that did not get published.
                              Over the years, I have had a few things published in Turning Wheels, but I have given up on submissions.
                              Of course, I would have liked to have at least received the information/materials back. The rarity may not have been understood. At the time, I thought that I could go back to Jocko's Speed Shop, but that option was eliminated in short order.
                              Gary L.
                              Wappinger, NY

SDC member since 1968
                              Studebaker enthusiast much longer

Comment

Working...
                              X