Looking for .040 Main bearings - Stude V8

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for .040 Main bearings - Stude V8

I know Studebaker didn't list sizes above .030 for the V8 bearings, but several aftermarket suppliers did manufacture .040 bearings. Are there any out there? We need at least one set for a customers engine but would be interested in stocking several more.

Thanks, Chris
    STUDEBAKER of AUSTRALIA

Chris
    I have seen Champion bearing in .40 but never V8.
    Is it a 289 or 259?
    N.O.S. 259 cranks are cheaper than grinding one.
    N.O.S. 289 cranks are more expensive and reground 289 cranks (less than .30") are around.
    On engines where only standard bearing were available you can weld up the journals and grind to fit whatever bearings you have.
    Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Its a 289 and we are starting to find the occasional crank needing to be ground this far. If anyone can help us with a set please let us know.

Chris.

Comment

Way back in early 70s , I went to a automotive school in Cincinnati , Ohio , we dealt with Don's Crankshaft and he made me a quote that they didn't make a bearing he couldn't get. Fast forward to early 90s, I needed babbit bearings for a customer for a John Deere. He had tried dealers and internet. I said let me try, I called Don's crankshaft, when I said what I needed, he said I would never find them , I reminded him of what he quoted me, He said I will call you back , 15 minutes later he called and said they are on the way. My customer was well pleased and I was very impressed he went the extra mile on a pledge 20 years old. Try him!
        Randy Wilkin
        1946 M5 Streetrod
        Hillsboro,Ohio 45133

Comment

There used to be a machine shop in Abilene Texas called Hartman's precision machine that would build up and re grind almost any crank.
          I'm sure others do too,... Just an option if all else fails.

Dean.

Comment

Working...
          X