Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Really need a replacement frame for a 64 Hawk. Would like 62. 63. or 64. Let me know what you have

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Really need a replacement frame for a 64 Hawk. Would like 62. 63. or 64. Let me know what you have

Really would like a replacement frame in Arizona, or close to us. Our 64 was from Minnesota, and has suffered severe damage to the frame. Your help is much appreciated.

As far as I know the 1964 Hawks used a heavier gage steel.
    Talk to Chuck Naugle in Vail. 520 647 3024
    I believe that he is up and running since his latest health scare.
    If no luck there go to Bob Peterson in the Bay area and pick one up. I do not think that he ships any.

Robert Kapteyn

Comment

Originally posted by rkapteyn View Post
      As far as I know the 1964 Hawks used a heavier gage steel.
      Talk to Chuck Naugle in Vail. 520 647 3024
      I believe that he is up and running since his latest health scare.
      If no luck there go to Bob Peterson in the Bay area and pick one up. I do not think that he ships any.

Robert Kapteyn
      Hi Robert, Chuck's number no longer works. I have no problem traveling some, but want to see what shows up closer. Thanks, I didn't realize the gauge of the steel was different. Too bad this one had all the salt.

Comment

azS, You can use anyone of those years. I am putting a 62 GT Hawk frame under my 53K. So as long as it is from a C or K, you will have no problem.

Comment

azs I just brought two body shells and frames back to Mn last summer from AZ so I know they are out there. Just watch the local Craigslist for a parts car.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow! Wish I had seen them before you!

Comment

I thought there would be a problem with mount alignment on frames before 62. If not, then the field is more open for earlier year frames.

Comment

The mounts before 62 are different from what I've been told but not that hard to change over for the earlier frames to make them fit. Here's the frame off the car on the trailer going under my 64 gt.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by azstude View Post
                  I thought there would be a problem with mount alignment on frames before 62. If not, then the field is more open for earlier year frames.
                  The problem with Pre 1962 Frames is, the thickness IS Less. 1962 not 1964, is when they changed to 11 ga.
                  StudeRich
                  Second Generation Stude Driver,
                  Proud '54 Starliner Owner
                  SDC Member Since 1967

Comment

StudeRich I thought someone said the change on thickness started in 58. and the rocker boxes on the body started in 62. which is why the body mounts on 62 up frames are different.

Comment

I have one for you its a 62 frame. I'm out of Phx .$300 It's yours can deliver to vail tomorrow morning around 9 AM needs a 12 inch repair to the bottom plate due to sitting in the dirt rusted .But is salt free frame. PM buy tonight And I will get it loaded. Thanks John

Comment

I just checked my 62 frame as it had no rust and only needed a quick sand blast against my 58 sliver hawk frame that was a rusty Mn frame that needed a hard sand blast and paint. The 62 checked out at anywhere from .1050 to .1040 depending on where it was checked with a dial caliper. which would make it 12 gauge metal as that is .1046. 11 gauge should be .1196 The sliverhawk ran anywhere from .1025-.1040 and seeing as how it was sandblasted hard I would say they where the same thickness when new.

Comment

Hey Thanks to all you guys. It worked out that I got a frame from John above just a few hours from me . I learned a lot during all the conversations.

Comment

Hi there. This isn't really a "tech" thread. Moving to the General board; please post "wants" in that section. Thanks.

Clark in San Diego | '63 Standard (F2) "Barney" | http://studeblogger.blogspot.com

Comment

Originally posted by showbizkid View Post
                              Hi there. This isn't really a "tech" thread. Moving to the General board; please post "wants" in that section. Thanks.
                              Seriously? Not tech related? Looks like the title may be a little misleading, but the content appears tech to me.

The tech info is: per the Shop Manual specs., the 62 and newer frames were thicker. Using dial calipers to measure 50+ year old frames, in various stages of deterioration, with unknown histories, is not likely to reveal much other than which frame has fared better through the decades, which may have been scraped, brushed, sandblasted, etc..

By being thicker, the 62 and later C/Ks were able to do away with the earlier style, rust prone rockers. I once helped swap a GT frame under a 56J once, and it was noticeably stronger.

So anyone looking to do a frame swap would want to look for a 62 and later, unless just building a TQ.

Comment

Working...
                              X